THR Tessa’s Transformation<

Part of using two crutches is to take load bearing off the new hip for healing. The other bit is developing a new balanced gait without a limp. What advice were you given about using them and will you see a physio?

It’s very early to move onto one stick unless you are having a miracle recovery from minimally invasive anterior surgery.

@tessa

Thanks for the advice, I am only using one crutch for very short distances, across the kitchen for example. I saw a physio at hospital whose approach was very much do what your body tells you! I have another appointment a week tomorrow.
I am feeling more relaxed today, it’s actually our wedding anniversary and a friend has come over to cook us lunch, and is also putting some washing on!
Pain seems under control and the sun is out!

:SUNsmile: Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Hi all,
Had such a lovely day yesterday, it was our wedding anniversary and a very good friend came over to cook us lunch and also very kindly did some washing and bits around the house.
I also managed a ten minute walk outside in the sunshine.
Today is my first day home alone! Hubby left for work at 6.30 , making me a cuppa before he went. I got up washed and dressed in very slow time. Managed to get down the stairs bringing a bag of Christmas cards as I thought I would start writing them, however at the very least step I dropped them! I could have cried. It took about half an hour for me to pick them up using my grabber!
Managed to prepare some cereal and made a flask of tea for later.
Now sat in my chair with my ice absolutely exhausted but what a sense of achievement!

Oh no...we all have had those "really? I had to drop it" moments!
:hairpulling:
Picking up flat cards from floor with grabbers can't have been easy.
Small victories like getting ourselves something to eat are definitely humbling and heartening don't you think?

All temporary @tessa .
Hope the rest of your day is uneventful!:ice:

Happy Monday @tessa
A belated Happy Anniversary!
Sounds like you were spoiled a bit on your happy day...lucky you!
Sorry about the accident with the cards, hope you can chuckle about it now that you're beyond it and resting.
Pathetic lot we are in our recovery :heehee: I'm so thankful for grabbers. Wish I would have created that invaluable tool.
Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing week!

I am trying to cut down on the pain reliving medication but not sure if a) this is realistic or b) if it is wether I am doing it in the right way. Yesterday evening I was more uncomfortable than I had been since coming home.
Oh you silly girl! Of course you still need pain meds!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

@tessa
Glad you had a nice anniversary.
I understand your frustration about dropping the cards but really there was no harm done. It's little things like that though that can make us burst into tears.
My grabber is my most used item :)

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

1. Posterior

2. Pain levels 0-5. 0 at rest, 5 when walking close to when meds due. Pain is mainly half way down my thigh (dull ache) , in groin and deep in hip when walking.

3. Currently taking 60mg of codeine and 1g paracetamol at 10am, 4pm and 10pm. Also take an extra dose of paracetamol when I wake at night (about 2am)

4. Icing at least 3 times a day for an hour or more

5. Elevating virtually all the time when seated

6. At the moment really just pottering. Doing a bit of washing up, putting things in the oven and washing machine, folding washing. Trying to do a little something then rest for an hour or so.

7. No exercises as such. Concentrating on doing short frequent walks and trying to focus on an effective gait

Seeing PT next week. They did give a list of 8 exercises to do, however said that most would be just as effectively covered by regular walking

2. Pain levels 0-5. 0 at rest, 5 when walking close to when meds due. Pain is mainly half way down my thigh (dull ache) , in groin and deep in hip when walking.
At two weeks out, that's entirely to be expected.
3. Currently taking 60mg of codeine and 1g paracetamol at 10am, 4pm and 10pm. Also take an extra dose of paracetamol when I wake at night (about 2am)
Take that 4am dose regardless, even if you have to set your alarm to do it! Regularity is crucial at this point.
4. Icing at least 3 times a day for an hour or more
Could do more! Ice always when seated!
5. Elevating virtually all the time when seated
Good.
6. At the moment really just pottering. Doing a bit of washing up, putting things in the oven and washing machine, folding washing. Trying to do a little something then rest for an hour or so.
Too much. Just walk for a few minutes everyso often.
7. No exercises as such. Concentrating on doing short frequent walks and trying to focus on an effective gait
Seeing PT next week. They did give a list of 8 exercises to do, however said that most would be just as effectively covered by regular walking
Very good advice! Did you notice the "BIG TIP" in with the guidelines? Second post of this thread. Make sure you read it!

Thanks @Josephine, good to know I am not too far off track...will increase icing and reduce activity,

Had a great day today...
Pain is noticeably less, still taking regular meds but no longer “know” when they are due. I am , however, getting odd, sharp pains in my knee and groin. They last for a second and are not related to activity...I presume it is just everything settling down.
Walked up the lane for coffee with neighbours and cooked a simple dinner!
One thing that is really puzzling me is how to get TED stockings on my operated leg...any suggestions?

One thing that is really puzzling me is how to get TED stockings on my operated leg...any suggestions?
Maybe someone has some good advice...I lost mine:unsure: so ....

@tessa
You are 6 days behind me. I too have the odd twinge that doesn't last and doesn't seem to be related to anything I am doing. I got this the first time round too on the other side and from what I have read it's quite common and nothing to worry about.
As for the compression socks. I haven't found a way of doing them myself. I ring my husband on the internal phone and plead for them to be taken off for a little while.
My OS is a stickler for the rules and insists they are on for the full six weeks but others seem to get away with less. As much as I hate them I am being a good girl and doing what I am told.

Hi :hi: Happy Friday!
I can't imagine how you could get Compression socks on yourself. You're going to need help.
Hopefully you have someone who can assist you...
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@tessa

@tessa Sounds as if you are doing really well! Those random aches and pains....I felt last time and this, that they are things just settling down. I don't worry about them unless they persist and are related to exercise. I recon our soft tissue structures have a lot of adapting to get used to new hip and leg positions, plus the new joint capsule forming around the prosthesis in the first six weeks. Thankfully I have an OS who says to walk for the first six weeks and let everything settle and heal up a bit.

Can't help you with the stockings...I managed to escape having those! They sound challenging!
Wishing you a great evening :flwrysmile:

I have a suggestion - don't! If you're mobile enough to walk down the lane for coffee, you don't need them anyway!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom