THR Tessa’s Transformation<

It is totally impossible to get TEDs on by yourself. As Jo says, they are probably no longer needed now. Please don't risk the contortions it requires to get these things on when you are alone.

Thanks all ! I agree that the TED stockings are a) impossible to get on independently and b) probably not needed anyway!
Recovery is going well, went to the village this morning and managed to walk just over half a mile ( with frequent stops) no pain at all, I am now relaxing in my chair, again no pain but tired!
I am continuing to take pain meds regularly and along with regular icing pain is well controlled.
I am using one crutch in the house as at least I can then carry things, however I am aware that when using one crutch my gait is not brilliant. I have a physio session tomorrow so will discuss with them.

Not every surgeon uses TEDS. Mine hadn't used them for 10 years because of the difficulty of getting them on and off. It will be your choice though.

Hi all,
Well my recovery seems to be going very well!
Had first physio session, she was impressed with my range of movement and gave me some more exercises to do , however, I am continuing to focus on walking and have managed to do about half a mile with two crutches. Indoors I am using one crutch and trying not to lean too heavily on it!
Pain is under control and I am starting to reduce the Codeine from 60mg to 30mg.

Great update, tessa! Sounds like you're progressing nicely. Thanks for sharing.
May it only get better and better :yes:
Enjoy the evening!
@tessa

You sound like all is getting there.
Show Does win this race and it will be well worth All this recovery time!

Hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:

Well four weeks ago today I began my journey!
It’s been an eventful week, my fathers funeral finally took place last Thursday, postponed due to my surgery, all went well and I managed the two hour car journey , although paid the price the next day!
Christmas was spent at my daughters so I was waited on vey well! However we spent two nights at her home and the different bed and chairs certainly increased the discomfort levels, not help by my insistence to stop the Codeine in favour of alcohol!
However am now settling back into a routine, I am not sleeping brilliantly, mainly due to lower back pain as opposed to hip pain, a small pillow helps but I still cannot manage anymore than 3hrs sleep on my back. Think I probably need to start the Codeine again at night, although during the day paracetamol (and of course ice) is very adequate during the day.
I am managing to get around the house using one crutch and can even manage a few steps unaided. I must admit to feeling slightly frustrated , can’t imagine getting back to my normal level of activity any time soon!

@tessa
Glad to know that the funeral has finally taken place. It isn't nice having something like that hanging over you, especially when you aren't 100% yourself.
I had my 2nd op 6 days before you and I am still having problems sleeping too. Sleeping on my back is a nightmare, not helped by my bad knee which hates lying that way too.
I must say, against the rules (although I am being very careful) I have started sleeping on the side which was operated on first. I turn over very carefully and put a pillow between my knees and it is helping a bit.
It sounds as if you are being a bit hard on yourself when you say you are slightly frustrated. Its only 4 weeks and you have had major surgery. I found that things started to get a bit better at this stage last time and you only realise that it has improved when you do some things without thinking about them.
I' sure it won't be long before you are at that stage.
Best wishes

I found that the codeine at night and paracetamol taken on a regular basis during the day was the way to go... sounds like you are doing ok!

I'm sorry for your loss, tessa :console2:
It sounds like you had a nice Christmas with your daughters. That's a blessing.

Please don't think you won't get back to normal activity anytime soon.
You're not even One Month post op yet. It takes time and patience.
What worked best for me was gauging my progress by weekends, not paying attention to it daily. I found it easier to look back to the previous weekend and realize most often I had made progress. Try not to be frustrated, it will come slowly but surely. Chin up, you'll get there.
Wishing you a lovely weekend!
@tessa

@tessa, I think it sounds like you’re doing quite well, also.
As you know, I’m 4 weeks out, as well, and I feel the same setbacks, as you do, with the “two steps forward, one step back” routine. I hit a wall a few days before x-mas where I felt like I didn’t want to see anyone, or participate in the festivities. Thankfully, my wife helped me get through it and I ended up preparing most of the x-mas meal for 7 people, including dessert, so I was pretty impressed with myself on that front.
So sorry to hear about your Father’s passing. I lost my Father this year, in April, then my Mother in July, so I’m ready to turn the page in 2018.
At least we have our new hips to carry us confidently into 2019!
Onward & upward my Hippie Twin!! :tada:

All this Temporary Recovery Business...well worth it.
You've done beautifully...
It will come.
Have a great weekend!

I like the idea of measuring recovery by weekends, gives a much more accurate picture.
Another good day, walked around the supermarket pushing a trolley and then visited friends. Minimal pain on just paracetamol so things are definitely getting better!

Woohoo! Awesome for you. :happydance:
Happy One Month Anniversary! (a few hrs early)
You're doing great, keep it up.
A wonderful 2019 to you...should be a good year!
@tessa

:tada:you've got this girl.
Patience will have a huge payoff!
:loveshwr:

Hope you are doing well..
Wishing you a great New Year!

@Mojo333, thank you,
Think I overdid it a bit yesterday....too much of my new party trick, walking without crutches and I managed to change 2 beds and do several loads of laundry. A bit achy today as a result so relaxing with ice. Off out for a meal tonight with hubby and a friend...think I will take a cushion to sit on!

walking without crutches and I managed to change 2 beds and do several loads of laundry.
I'm tired just reading this - at only a month out! :thud: Easy does it my friend. Take the chores in stages - not all a once.

Has your physio taught you the alternative step walking with two crutches? you start off on one foot supported by the crutch on the opposite side and then the other foot with opposite crutch. It was a great way of walking outside to a Rythmn and practising small steps heel to toe with back very straight and tightening glute muscles. When progressing to one crutch for walking outside I still carried the other as a spare so that when I got tired I went back to two crutches....trust me this was necessary!

This enabled me to do 0.25 mile to 0.5 mile walks fairly easily 4-6 weeks out.

I did overdo it a few times but that was mainly overstretching on steps and straining muscles.

Hope the progress continues. You are doing very well,

Well the new year appears to have brought a new phase in my recovery!
My pain levels appear to have dropped dramatically, am down to taking just paracetamol. I take it as soon as I feel the slightest discomfort and even then only need it 3 to 4 times a day. The pain is mainly in my thigh, and even then doesn’t get above a 2. I am still icing and elevating which I am sure helps more than anything.
On New Years Day we went for a walk along the beach. I managed a mile with two crutches, a short distance was on the pebbly beach which was hard work! Hubby stayed by my side but it was wonderful to be able to walk and laugh rather than walk and wince with pain!
However, the biggest change has been in my ability to walk without any aids! I am now walking around the house without aids. Apart from the first few steps I think my gait is good and fluid and my leg leg discrepancy appears to have disappeared! I have a session with the physio tomorrow, at my last session she noted my significant leg length discrepancy, which she felt was exaggerated by my scoliosis, so it will be interesting to see what she thinks!
My sleep pattern is still not brilliant, I wake a couple of times a night, not due to pain, so I think it is the lying on my back that’s the problem. I have tried to lie on my operated side but that was too painful so will have to wait for that magic 6 week point to try my non operated (preferred ) side!
I feel I am at the point where I have to regularly tell myself to slow down.....happy days!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom