Guest viewing is limited

THR Terrycloth's Path To New Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
@geneva - perfect analogy!! Well spotted. That's precisely how this thing works- some of us warming up, some on trackside and others running the obstacle race :climb: BUT all in the same boat:kayak:all of us on the same team and all striving for the same goal :idea:. Thanks for that teammate x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay you! All that prep & anxiety can be behind you now. Glad that big op is done for you, this recovery will so much easier for you with your great attitude. Ya know I was fully expecting a time where I'd feel like woe is me but it hasn't come yet. Get home, get settled in & get on with the recovery. The worst is over.
 
You all are SO AMZING and even though I haven't been much with the Post-Op detail ... I have been thinking of you & felt your good wishes!
I will be going home today - PT is very pleased w my mobility.
My take away from these 1st couple of days: as your Spinal (or whatever anesthesia you had ) BEGINS to wear off, let them know ASAP (!!) as my biggest problem was playing catchup w pain management that first night. And of course we've all heard about the cycle of meds vs nausea. I am looking forward to being home in my nest! Oh, BTW... PT AGREED : walking is the best exercise for new hips!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good for you @TerryCloth, going home today! I will heed your advice on the pain meds and I'm packing a package of crackers to eat before taking them. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Fortunately your PT sees things the way BS does. I'm going to be a stickler with following the BS mantra...ice, elevate, stay ahead of the pain and easy on the PT. Did I forget anything?
 
Crackers are great for that queasy tummy and hubby even packed butter to give them some oomph! I think the queasy tummy is something we can expect with all of the narcotics- they also gave me Rx for nausea. One day at a time! On a great note, I made it up the stairs to my nesting room! Going to stay upstairs for a few days!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You sound great!!!! I think I read somewhere that peanut butter is great for nausea too. I'm going to have to check that out, as I have a pretty sensitive tummy. I bet you're so happy to be home and in your "Lady Lair" (as @Nana757 would call it). :heehee:
 
Great to see you've made it to your nesting room! Sounds like the perfect place to recover and rest! Hoping you are doing well.
 
@TerryCloth - very impressed to hear how well you're getting on and so happy you will be settled home and nesting again. Thanks for all your advice and updates. We're all thinking if you :flwrysmile:
 
@Jaycey - IMMEDIATELY thought of you & Bonesmart! @Cynthia777 the virus became a non issue as soon as I got to the hospital! (I also did not have a breathing tube down my throat to irritate)
Loving my Lady Lair! - it's actually our son's old bedroom- but I've tricked it out (obvi!) - laid in bed and watched Moonstruck (with Cher) last night .. I'm not usually one for watching movies in bed, but I'm definitely going to be working that angle!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TerryCloth great to hear you are back home......enjoy the lair for the nest few days.....let me know of any favorite uplifting movies......I'm running out and need to put in my requests before Super Bowl fever hits the house! My learning for the first few days was to stick with high fiber smoothies....I'm now entering week 3 and starting outpatient pt tomorrow.......each day is mostly better! Way to go, keep in touch!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@TerryCloth (and @Cynthia777) - guessing that means you had epidural and sedation. Is that what you're having @Cynthia777?
Gosh you sound well and truly bedded in back home.
Good films? Have you seen The Holiday? A real girly which I don't tire of watching for the feelgoodfactor :curtsey:
Keep up the good work and keep in touch :flwrysmile: x
 
@MissMuffet @Cynthia777 I had a SpinalBlock which I believe is slightly different than an epidural, I also had a cocktail of Propofol & possibly something else. I remember going into the OR (content & confident) and then being moved to the Operating table & that's it. I came dozy but pretty alert - didn't have feeling below hips. HOWEVER as soon as that numbness STARTED to ease... the pain around incision, then whole area kicked in fast! There was a slip in time in getting those breakthrough drugs quick enough & thats where the mistake seemed to made (in the cycle of pain /nausea)
It probably took about 24 hours to even out.
I would definitely take crackers to hospital as the only meal I was up to eating there was the dinner- before the spinal wore off. I also found peppermint gum & Ginger slices, mineral water & Coca Cola comforting (truthfully, I also had a few bites of scrambled eggs at breakfast) .
At home, my appetite is coming back slowly- had (high fiber) toast last night & overnight w meds & this am scrambled eggs (from neighbor's chickens!) also papaya & salmon. I do have oat-bran /coconut/prune dish made up in freeze for breakfasts & drinking prune/water concoction as we speak (also taking colace & senna as suggested.. @MissMuffet The Holiday IS so sweet (as is Love Actually- another 'holiday' movie) the movie 'CHEF' is very uplifting as is the movie 'UP'. I also love 'The Upside Of Anger' & 'The Family Stone'
I'm hoping to find some newer releases On Demand on the Telly! omenewerreleases s


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TerryCloth thanks for the movie suggestions......gosh, unfortunate to hear about your pain med issue.....I had that happen to me as well once I got home ...but forgot to awake during the night to take a med on cycle....then POW!
awake for the next few hours in pain waiting for things to even out. You sound so prepared and fortunate to have an In tune hubby.......wishing you all the best these early days! It's hard to even imagine or appreciate that in our restful breathing, eating to heal, and thinking positive thoughts...our cells, and physiology are busily mending, growing, multiplying healing and doing the quiet uunnoticible recovery ! Magic stuff! on With your Magic....good vibes sent up north to you! We love Sonoma .....!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@TerryCloth you had spinal with sedation. Very common these days and so much easier to recover from than general anaesthetic. Nausea is probably from the pain meds as there is no nausea from a spinal.

Sounds like a great movie marathon! Well done!
 
@Jaycey that was it exactly! @geneva I truly love & will use & use the visuals & healing words in your 2nd paragraph! ....
"It's hard to even imagine or appreciate that in our restful breathing, eating to heal, and thinking positive thoughts...our cells, and physiology are busily mending, growing, multiplying healing and doing the quiet uunnoticible recovery ! Magic stuff!"


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TerryCloth and @Cynthia777 - that's not good that there was a break in pain relief. I thought that was what the staff were supposed to manage?
Any suggestions on how we can circumnavigate that @Jaycey please?
I know that, when I'm home, I will set my phone to alert me to take my meds, but it's the hospital side of things that I suppose we need some guidance on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom