THR Teri's Recovery-Hip #2

Good morning all....Well, here I am at 7 plus months and find myself writing about a self-inflicted setback (sort of self-inflicted)….

I have had massages from a certain massage therapist in the past, always with great results. I went to see her last Tuesday and I think she went overboard in her stretching of my THR leg. While lying on my stomach, she took my foot and calf and stretched it back and sideways and touched the back of my right thigh. I do this stretch standing and it usually feels fine. While she was doing this, it actually felt kind of good, no pain. She did know that I have a relatively new hip replacement. She is always big on flexibility.

A couple of days later, I started to feel some swelling and discomfort in my thigh area. I cannot think of anything else that could have aggravated it; the timing of this matches the massage. It feels like it used to in the beginning when I overdid it and the swelling and tightness came back. I have no other pain other than the swelling & stiffness.

I am a bit discouraged, because I was doing really well with this replacement. I pray and believe that it will be nothing long term. I will pull out my compression hose, elevate and ice as well. I have to get this under control as all of the festivities begin with my family tomorrow. Bad timing for sure.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to read this @Bfam85 So discouraging to have pain crop up when you were doing something relaxing. Are you having the thigh pain all the time or just with particular movement? I personally would not put on compression hose. Does it seem muscular?

Thanks for checking in on me, Sarah....I wound up wearing my yoga pants today (thanks Carol!)

I'm feeling much better mentally...I was starting to panic, but I'm okay now.

It's a feeling very similar to the early days when I would overdo things …. Sort of a tightness more than any real swelling. So, tonight I will ice and elevate. I'm also taking a couple of advils as well. I know in my gut that I didn't hurt anything more than some overzealous stretching from my massage therapist, but still, to have this crop up now was weird. My 5 year old replacement loved the movement with no repercussions at all.

Just another reminder that healing really does take time. Even when you think everything is fine, there's still much healing to be done deep inside.

Have a good evening...you're getting so close...less than one week now :)
@Fit4Family

@Bfam85

I am so glad you are feeling a little better. Don’t you love yoga pants? Just the right amount of compression. Do take it easy. Healing really does take time. My thigh muscles have improved so much since even the sixth month mark. Take care. ❤️

Glad you are feeling better.
Be sure to let your Massage Therapist they over worked you, and caused unnecessary swelling and soreness.
Until you are further along, any massage you receive should be gentle and soothing.

Sounds like you are back on track with your recovery, and your new hip.

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Bfam
Sorry you are hurting after this instance and it is causing you concern.
I had some specific PT to resolve some SI joint issues a few months ago and though it was the same therapist group that helped with some gait training and well aware of my bionic double hippy status...a few of the directives did not feel hip friendly.
I always told my PT when it felt like there was any duress on my hips...and reported any repercussions to my very good, but young therapist.

He did a good bit of hands on manipulation that did help my lower back. But he can not know how it feels within my body. I would have to say...Nope, think that is far enough and I'm not liking the way my hip feels while you are doing this.
I do trust him and want to think he would not mindfully cause any issues. But I am Protective of my New Hips.

Hope this eases soon and you have a wonderful Christmas :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:

Thank you @Pumpkln and @Mojo333

Pumpkin, you said it right: "overworked" is the right description for what she did. The rest of my body is enjoying the body work; not so much my recovering hip.

Mojo, this is excellent advice for the future: I like your style of communication and will use it in the future.

This morning I feel like I am turning the corner. The main thing I was concerned about was the inflammation not getting worse. With my friends here, I was able to calm down, do the right things and I'm doing much better.

Big, big thanks everyone xox:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

It's good to read you're doing okay now. @Bfam85
Eight months in with Lefty and just passing your five year anniversary with Righty. Congrats!
Thanks for being a part of the forum. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and many blessings in the New Year!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

@Layla and @Fit4Family … thanks for your good wishes; they mean everything to me.

Layla, thanks for all you do each and (almost) everyday. You bring such a calmness to even the most scariest scenarios for everyone. Bless you and your family this wonderful time of year!

Sarah, you are the picture of graciousness. You are so sensitive and compassionate to the needs of others in the face of your own less than wonderful circumstances. I pray with all my heart that this time will be the last time you will need to deal with your left hip! Have a peaceful Christmas and may your heart be full of faith that this time next Christmas you will be dancing for joy!!!

baby-jesus

I could just be that the muscles in that op leg atrophied a bit more than your first hip. Sounds like they were not ready for that aggressive stretch. Ice and elevate and try and rest that op leg for now. And next time ask for a more gentle approach. That area just needs a bit more time to strengthen.

Thanks for your kind words and your thoughtful contributions to the forum, Teri. It's much appreciated. I hope the New Year is filled with many blessing for you and yours.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
@Bfam85

Just read one of your friendly posts elsewhere and noticed your signature.
Happy Nine Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope the year is off to a good start for you. Many blessings to you in the months to come.
Have a lovely Thursday and a great weekend!
@Bfam85

Thank you @Layla :) All is well at 9 months. Lefty is doing great....I do just about anything I want. When I try a new stretch or exercise, I will wait and see how I feel the next day or 2. If I feel okay, I will do it more. If I feel different (usually it would be swelling) I will put that one on the shelf for a while. I was just out for a walk in the snow with my walking sticks, loving the beauty of winter.

I know that complete healing takes more than 9 months and I try to be patient with that.

I am relieved that I now have both hips done and I can move on. I will be 65 in November and my goal is to be more fit and stronger by then.

Here's to life and so grateful for Bonesmart, the wonderful folks here and living at a time when we can be pain free!!! :friends:

Aww, such a great report @Bfam85 I am so happy that you are feeling so good at 9 months. You are such a bright spot here. Grateful to have “met“ you.:loveshwr:

I just said that to a friend who was going on and on about my surgery, I would have been out if luck on the wagon trail to be sure. Modern medicine is truly miraculous.

Hello Teri :hi:
Happy One Year Anniversary!
I hope you’re staying safe and feeling well in these crazy days we’re all navigating.
As you most likely recall from your first THR, you may still notice improvement for months to come. :yes!:

Thanks for all of your contributions here. Your support and encouragement of others is greatly appreciated.
Happy Wednesday...hope it’s a good one! :)
@Bfam85

Hello again, @Layla! Yes, one year ago today I was done and dusted with Hip #2....I celebrated today by taking a hike on our property....with no pain at all in either hip :yay: Everything else feels pretty great too!

This journey has been bittersweet at times, but overall, the outcome is better than I could ever imagine.

I will always be thankful for modern medicine and the body's natural healing abilities. It's amazing!

I hope that YOU are doing well and that your hips (one real and one replaced!) are feeling great...We will all get through this current pandemic and, hopefully, come out on the other side more wise and compassionate towards one another. Bless you always xox

Happy 1 year anniversary! I just can't believe it's been a full year already..
It's so easy to pretend nothing happened, isn't it? It's hard to imagine that we both have 2 artificial joints.

Glad you are staying safe and healthy. :yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom