TKR Tennis Nut's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mary,

Some doctors here that I interviewed

Now that's the way to do it. YOU interviewed them. My op was done on the national health service (free at point of delivery). This immediately puts you in a subservient position. You kinda get what you are given. There is so much pressure on our NHS that its struggling to cope. Having said all that I was very satisfied with my treatment. But its true to say I had nothing to compare it against. Carol
 
@ My knee Charlie

I can't imagine TKR as an outpatient either tho I didn't have a cath. My doc wanted me up and walking in less than 6 hours. Drain was gone next morning.
 
Carol, that's one reason I didn't want to put my surgery off much longer. As you know, the threat of obamacare looms on our horizon. Though even the unions are running from it now as are all the IRS workers who will be in charge of implementing it. The right to choose will be gone eventually if it is ever fully funded which hopefully it won't be. It will take a little more time though. Doctors are retiring early too so there will be a shortage. That will be countered by lowering med school admission standards. It's not going to be a good thing here. Average reimbursement to a doctor for a Medicare patient having a hip replacement is $30 something. Medicaid reimbursements are even less and all the doctors and PT's that I personally know are refusing to take any government reimbursed patients. My husband still works so we have very good insurance and can still choose. I can only hope that obamacare is defunded. It's going to hurt the young, the poor and elderly so much. The very ones it's supposed to help. And if its sooooo great, then why did congress exempt itself from having to be on it?
 
Hi Mary, I can perfectly understand where you are coming from. You have worked hard, don't look to the state to bail you out and don't want to lose out at this stage of life. I was born with the NHS in place. I have known nothing else. Yes there are people in the UK who buy private health insurance. But you have to be pretty wealthy. The majority of people have paid national insurance all their working lives to fund the NHS and get the treatment they need when they need it. But as I said earlier its now coming apart at the seams.

What actually happens to folk in the US who for whatever reason don't have medical insurance or insufficient cover? Surely there's a safety net of some kind. For example if a woman went into labour, had complications and no medical cover what would happen? Carol
 
Medicaid is the program the very poor can get on. Also, disabled people. And hospitals for the most part won't turn away emergencies or someone giving birth. In Texas and other border states, the emergency rooms are overrun with illegals coming across the border just to give birth and then they turn around and go back home. This is what drives the costs of healthcare up. The ones paying have to pay for those not. Medicaid gives very low reimbursements to doctors and hospitals to the point that they lose money on the patient. Then there is Medicare for those 65 and older. It was good for awhile but now the reimbursements have become low like Medicaid. So older people who have worked and paid into the Medicare system all their lives are now being turned away by some doctors or are facing shortages of doctors and can't be seen. Once on Medicare, your choice ends to an extent now and it's going to get much worse. For instance, my OS chose the best knee implant for me but say when I'm 68 and maybe need my other knee done, he may be told to use the cheapest implant. Hope I don't need another one. You also have no drug choices. I take Celebrex and its covered by insurance. I cannot take the generic substitute for it since it makes me sick and doesn't work. Well, once on Medicare, I won't have a choice. When my husband retires, we will be on Medicare and normally, most seniors that can afford it, buy supplemental plans because Medicare doesn't cover everything. Medicare and Medicaid are corrupt and both are almost broke. Fraudulent claims are unbelievable and the government workers overseeing these programs are corrupt too.

Young people coming out of college aren't finding great jobs and aren't getting insurance. If no young people are paying into the system, the system is going to crash. When obamacare was written, a few things were done right such as covering pre- existing conditions. But so much extra pork or excessive waste was hidden in it that it's going to fail. Every senator that voted for it got some "quid pro quo". What's in it for my state if I vote for it? The EPA got money. Railroads got money. What's that got to do with healthcare? Illegals are going to be given coverage. They pay nothing for it and people who pay no taxes here somehow get refunds. Nothing is working right anymore. Like all great empires, looks like we are going down. You have people voting who can't read, some that can't speak English, some that are "dead". Yes, dead people voted in th last election and some voted several times. What's saddest of all is when you find out about a wounded warrior or Vietnam war vet living on the street with no insurance. Yes, there's VA hospitals but lots of our vets have mental issues and don't even go in for help. Sad when they gave so much and get so little back. Well, that sort of covers it from my point of view. It would take far too long to explain it all. It is what it is and Ike I said, the elderly and the very poor will suffer. Our pres and congress won't cause they don't have to use it and they are filthy rich too. I'm sure it's that was in the UK too.
 
Hi Mary, I've replied to the above in the Social Room. I didn't have your message in front of my when I was replying so may have overlooked some of what you said. The Social Room thread is Medical Care in the USA. Carol
 
Hi Mary, How's the knee? I know you've had a couple of not so good days, but hopefully you are still doing well? I wish it was possible to feel what others felt. That way I think it might be easier to judge whether our progress was good, bad or ugly. In many ways I know making comparisons is pointless, but its a way of estimating whether you're on track. Carol
 
patient 99

I'm doing fine. Just a couple of bad days and of course I become chicken little and the sky is falling. Got your email. I wondered what you would run into on your end. Didn't realize it would be expensive to put a painting back on the stretcher. Some artists make their own canvases but I buy mine. It's too hard to get them squared up. I've made one and it was a mess. I just submitted about 12 pix of paintings to a store to see if they will carry some of my art. I've got to get on a waiting list for one local artist co-op. trying for more exposure. I've got to get busy but it's soooooo hot and I use part of my garage for a studio so no AC. Hope your knee is happy these days.
 
Josephine
bottomshollow
patient 99

Is there a difference between soreness from using your knee to do more things and pain in general? I'm thinking there is but when I asked a friend of mine who had a bilateral done how long her soreness remained, her response was that she never remembered ever being sore. I think that's total malarky. How can you not be sore? I guess I classify pain as more severe and debilitating and you need a painkiller. Soreness is something to be expected with activity and you ice, elevate and carry on. Just blew my mind a bit for someone to tell me they didn't ever think they had any soreness. I don't think I'm "in pain" anymore but i do think i get sore depending on what I do. So I appeal to some of you with hopefully better memories than my friend. 11 weeks now and it's getting looser feeling too.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Tennis Nut's Recovery Thread
Tennis Nut, I think having soreness, which is a mild form of pain, is quite normal if you are using the knee more doing new things. I am almost 2 years post op and find that after doing a days worth of yard work that my knees are a bit sore for a couple of days afterwards. Nothing that really hurts, but a bit sore. Don't know how long ago your friend had surgery, but we do forget as time goes by and memories of pain fade into the distance---which is a good thing.
 
bottomshollow

That's what I was thinking too. My buddy is kinda dim. She recently announced on Facebook that one of our friends who was in the hospital had passed away. She was very much alive. Lol
 
Hi Mary, I think `sore' refers to a MILD pain or ache. But I remember posting a message describing how my knee felt and Josephine replied saying `that is what we call pain'. I had thought of it as discomfort.

I think there's several things going on here. One is semantics. People use the same words to mean different things. The other thing is something I've touched on before. We can't feel what others feel. We describe it and think we are talking about the same thing - but are we? Finally, different people have different pain thresholds. One person's pain, is anothers soreness.

One explanation for what your bilateral friend said is that she has a lower pain tolerance than you do. Everything she experienced felt like pain. So she never did feel sore. Whereas what you experience feels like being sore.

You are having a particularly good recovery. You are doing at 11 weeks what it took me months to achieve. I know you didn't have your quad muscles cut which has made it easier. But you are doing great. There may even have been a touch of the green-eyed monster in your friend's response.

At 5.5 months I am not in pain (as I understand it). My TKR aches (is sore) when I do a lot. It aches more at the end of the day - sometimes becoming quite stiff. I don't take medication for it. I just have to rest it.

So in short. Yes I do think there is a difference between soreness and pain. Carol
 
Carol, you seem to think of sore like I do. Uncomfortable. Pain sends you running for a pill...well, limping for a pill maybe. I don't think I'm in pain anymore but I sure am sore. There's a good reason why I'm sore today and its due to driving to another town (45 mins each way) two days in a row and walking through stores shopping with my niece. I get that for sure and the ice pack was on last night and today. I'm sleeping better most nights. Just restless sometimes and I move my leg a lot. But it's all getting better. Every few days, I sense something better. Can't put my finger on it or say what it is but it's better. Sure makes me happy.

So 5.5 months now for you and no meds. That's awesome. I try to pace myself. If cooking, I maybe make a salad and stop and rest/elevate. Go back in an hour and do another part do dinner. Repeat rest. Repeat part of dinner. Even made peach cobbler one day. Pealed peaches. Rested. Cooked peaches with butter, sugar and cornstarch. Rested while it cooled. Rolled out crust (cheated and used refrigerated kind), put it together and rested while it baked. Ate like a pig!!!!!!
 
Every few days, I sense something better. Can't put my finger on it or say what it is but it's better. Sure makes me happy.

Mary, what condition is your other knee in? Even if it needs doing I suspect you will be relaxed about it. Re eating like a pig. My mum's motto was that as long as you can eat well there's nothing much wrong with you. So eat up.

Have you seen my last message in my thread about my visit to the OS? I want to be fully prepared for when I see him on the 16th August. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I really don't want to have MUA. Carol
 
patient 99

My left knee seems ok. My doctor said he doubts I would ever have to get it replaced. It simply did not suffer the injuries my right knee did and weight is not an issue with me. So hope he's right. I don't want to do this again.

I didn't see you message about your concerns with MUA and I hope your doctor doesn't think it's necessary. I thought your ROM was 120 or so, so why would you need it? Seems like more MUA is done in the UK than here. I'd never even heard of it. Josephine might be able to advise you on handling your doctor. Let us know how all that goes. Just hope you don't need it.
 
Is there a difference between soreness from using your knee to do more things and pain in general?
Basically, there are various manifestations of pain. They vary from from what lay people call 'soreness' to 'agony'. To medical people, pain is pain and needs medicating according to the pain score the patient declares it to be. and it can be soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling or stiffness - these are all types of pain wherever the patient registers them on the pain scale which is what to ask patients use: scoring their pain on a scale of 1-10, 1 being no pain at all and 10 being the very worst they can imagine. So something you consider 'sore' might be 'moderately painful' to someone else.

[Bonesmart.org] Tennis Nut's Recovery Thread


But there is another dimension to this. Sometimes what our previous experience tells us gives us misconceptions about what's happening now - in other words, it lies! We remember the previous bone-on-bone pain we had and think "Pfft - this is nothing like that!" and carry on regardless. But generally people don't know that muscles know when they are in pain and their reaction is to bunch up and go into spasm. So eventually we get more pain because of the muscle spasm. If we ignore that, it gets worse and worse and then that's when people come on the forum saying they have pains here and there and are worried they've 'done something' to their new joint or caused some damage. All this because they didn't listen to their body and take some pain pills when the muscles said they were hurting and you replied "no you're not, you're just sore"!
 
Good info as usual Josephine

I liken my soreness to muscles that lifted too much weight at the gym one day and are sore the next and it's hard for me to think of it as pain. Maybe I'm just a hardhead. I do seem to have a rather high pain threshold which came in handy. I do my medicating though and it's usually ice, elevation and some Tylenol and my daily Celebrex. What do doctors in the UK prescribe for anti-inflammatories? Just curious. Took aleeve for years but Celebrex is better.

I'm doing quite well and I owe much of it to you and this forum. Glad I listened and cut back on the pt when I did. Good advice! Have a great weekend everybody. Get out and walk in the sunshine.
 
Josephine

Prescription NSAIDS are tough on heart compromised patients too. What is paracematol? I take maybe 1000mg of Tylenol in one day and will get off the Celebrex ASAP. My doctor gave me no refills of Celebrex. The docs here are prescribing much less than say 10 years ago. Fortunately, I don't have any underlying medical issues. I'm disgustingly healthy and pray to stay that. Just a bad knee and some back issues. Here in the US, the docs are prescribing more anti-depressants that have the beneficial side effect of reducing musculoskeletal pain. Cymbalta and celexa are a couple. I think long term, there are fewer side effects and health risks. Is that a trend in the UK as well?
 
Whatcha mean "what is paracetamol"? Didn't you read the title of that thread I just left you? :doh:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom