High Tibial Osteotomy Tell me about your osteotomy

Anileigh

Country
United States United States
I’m about to have a tibial tubercle osteotomy due to knee dislocations. I’m trying to figure out if the pain I’m in now (after a failed MPFL) will be better or worse than the osteotomy. A lot of the threads on here are talking about how difficult the osteotomy has been and how they wish they didn’t get the operation. Can you give me some insight into any continuing issues you might have? Or do you feel that it was a success? Also, did you have any long term pain with the screws? Thank you!

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Anileigh.

I'm sorry you have had to deal with this. We don't have many current members who have had this procedure, but you may find this thread by a former member helpful:

Please tell us the date of your upcoming surgery and which knee. Also, which previous knee surgeries you've had and the dates. This helps us better help you when we have this information.

I had a distal femoral osteotomy. Very different from tibial tubercle transfer. Mine was done at the same time as a patella femoral PKR.
It is difficult because it's essentially recovering from a broken bone. I foolishly thought it would be like recovery from a tib/fib break requiring surgery when I was 14. Nothing is like it was at 14.
I've been happy with mine. At 3 months, I had only PKR on the other knee. At 7 months, I could already hike 4 miles.

Hi Anileigh,
I had a high tibial osteotomy in 2012. You asked about the screws. My screws are still in my leg and have never had any issues with them. In fact I’d forgotten about them altogether until I read your post.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020