TKR TeeDee's Knee, see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's wonderful! I'll take that report at a year (but six months would be even better!).
 
Oh boy, today's the day for the second knee (my left) to be done, after all the wondrous success with the right one. I have a goal this time of being able to sit in a movie theater on December 18th and watch the new Star Wars movie. That's a pretty modest goal, right? I'll absolutely baby the knee all the time up until then, and if all goes well, I'll put up with some tightness and a bit of swelling while my leg is down for the few hours it takes to get to the movie, through it, and back home.

(The optimum scenario would be to see it in one of those fancy movie theaters that has the reclining leather seats so I could keep my leg up, but that's not happening at this particular venue my friends have tickets for.)
 
@Legin , @Celle , thanks so much, every pixel of what you say is fuel for a good recovery!
 
Chortle I do burn well. Shout if you need an ear . Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
And...scene.

Surgery was great. For reasons unknown to me at the moment, last time I had twilight anesthesia and was aware of what was going on but didn't care, while this time it was general all the way. Mask on, breathe deep, and next thing I know my dearly beloved is next to me in recovery calling my name as I asked how long I was out. First difference is likely related to that, as last time I threw up once in recovery and then never thereafter, while this time it took three days before I could so much as drink a little water without puking it right back up. Second difference is, this time I was in recovery having a transfusion, what's the deal with that? Third difference, I had no drain installed this time! I figured that was par for the course, but apparently not?

The incision is a lot less, shall we say, loosely-goosey this time. Before there was a bit of a gap between the skin edges under the staples along the top half of my right TKR, but for the left TKR, all edges are nice and tight together under the staples, which number 45.

Fact that's true for me...it made a WORLD of difference to have the experience of the first knee when having the second one. From the moment I woke up, I didn't wonder WHAT would happen now, but just how it would feel having it happen. The throbbing, the soreness, the concrete leg, all are well within parameters.

Six days out, I haven't yet had formal PT, but I can put weight on the leg and use the walker to get to the bathroom here at the nursing home. I did Impress my therapists in their preevaluation with how strong I am and how the thing mostly holding me back now is flexibility and, as you all know, exhaustion from the healing process. They say I'm at 70 degrees before the start of work, not shabby considering I do have fat legs :-)

So, soreness, bit of stiffness and usual swelling after traumatic surgery. I likes me my oxy every so often, but don't feel the need of it as often as I could have it, since simply relaxing goes a long way in pain relief for me.
 
Too bad that you had the nausea, but sounds like you are sorted out now. It is funny how different surgeries can be. My TKRS were only 12 weeks apart but there were differences. My favorite was that my surgeon stopped requiring ted hose, and I was very glad about that! I likes me my oxy once in a while too. Heaps of blessings on the inventor of these wonderful pain meds!
 
Welcome to the recovery side again, @TeeDee . :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I'm glad it went well and glad you've at last stopped vomiting.

I know you've seen them all before, but I'm going to give the the recovery reading list again - look on it as a refresher course!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
I'm home from the rehab facility. You know what's great? That it's possible to have such a perfect configuration of pillows and memory foam mattresses that I can prop my leg up, lay back, and feel so completely comfortable that I don't need pain medication or icing. It's a miracle! I don't believe it, but it's true!
 
I'm glad to hear that you're at home and resting comfortably.

Just beware if you don't take any pain medication - don't let the pain sneak up on you, because it's no fun at all if you have to play "catch-up" with the pain meds.
 
Yes! I have a fortress of pillows. Makes all the difference.
 
I did the "Fortress of Pillows" too. :heehee: But I still needed pain meds. If the knee "calls" for them, remember it's the boss. :)
 
Five weeks from LTKR, 11 months from RTKR. So, I was doing laundry yesterday, which would have used up my stamina for the day but I allowed for that. I brought my little three-legged folding seat so I could load the washers while sitting. Cool beans, right? Oops. I hadn't made sure the legs were perfectly stable, so I sat on the seat and down I went onto the floor. My legs didn't bend during it, I just fell flat on my butt. But...here I am, sitting on the laundry room floor, legs stuck out straight in front of me, wondering how on earth I'm going to get up.

There was nothing I could pull myself up with by my arms. It's an apartment building laundry room so there were just the washers, dryers, and a slop sink. I tried pulling up via the sink, but found that just using hands isn't enough, I needed something to brace my full arms onto. I tried bracing my bending right leg against the base of the washers to push myself up, but then found that my insufficiently bending and weak left leg also needed to bend and push me up, and that wasn't happening. I thought about that YouTube video of the guy who had bilateral TKR and could get up from the floor without bending, and realized that he wasn't freshly operated on and had strength in both his quads.

As it happened, the building maintenance man and his assistant were in their office across the hall. I yelled for help, and they came. Oh, I didn't mention that I'm near 300 pounds and most people can't just lift me off the ground. They tried, but it wasn't working because I couldn't get both of my legs under me to push up and help lift myself. Finally, I asked if they had a chair I could pull myself up onto. They didn't, but they did have a wooden box about six inches tall. They were able to lift me just enough to sit on the box, and with my legs finally a little bent and my feet flat on the floor, they were able to lift me a little more and then I could help get myself up. Once up, everything felt fine and dandy.

The bigger question I have is, how do you all deal with falling down, especially in the early days of recovery?

Secondary question. I was scared to death of the idea of rolling onto my stomach and then trying to get on all fours in order to try and get up that way. Is anybody else scared that way? I am just so worried about basically putting my knees on the floor and the feeling it might cause.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your fall. It must have given you quite a fright. i'm glad, though, that you weren't injured.

Getting up from the floor isn't easy and it does take some practice. It's something you can ask your PT to show you, when your second knee is a bit more healed.

I can get up off the floor and I do a modified version of the one shown in that video. I usually put one knee in the floor briefly. It isn't elegant, but it works for me.

I can kneel on both my knees, but it does feel strange and I certainly don't like to do it on a hard floor. If you want to try it (later) on your first knee, start by kneeling on something soft, like the bed. Then graduate to a pillow or cushion on the floor, then to doing it on the carpet. Many surgeons advise not to kneel until about 6 months after surgery.
 
Oh no!! How frightening! You just described my worst fear. :yikes::yikes: Thank goodness the guys were there to help you and kudos for figuring it out!

I would have DIED from embarrassment (I am a big gal too), so there would have been no worry getting me up! :heehee:
 
See, this is the kind of practical knowledge I wish were bestowed by those who are looked to for their special skills. Hey, PT! Maybe take a few moments here and there to implement a course of therapy that gradually teaches TKR clients how to do things like, oh, kneel comfortably, and then get up off the ground when there's nothing nearby to hang on to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom