Guest viewing is limited

THR Tedsmum recovery journey

Hi all,

Now 6 weeks post op and have seen the surgeon for follow up. I'm pleased to report everything is well, my range of movement is expected and all restrictions have been removed and I am able to drive and go swimming. He suggested another 6 weeks off work as I need to build up muscles and develop strength and stamina, especially as I need to carry some heavy equipment and stand for several hours per day.

He advised continued use of one crutch outdoors until I am confident I am walking without a limp. I also need to massage my thigh at least twice daily as there is some knotty parts under the incision line in places. He is also referring me for some PT but said that due to waiting lists in the NHS I probably won't need it but that it would be useful for them to check my gait even if I don't need ongoing sessions.

I plan add some gentle exercise in the water in addition to my walking which is now up to 1.5 miles on a good day and less when I'm having a lazy day. I'm able to do the majority of household tasks with the exception of anything needing lifting. Drove myself to the supermarket 3 miles away, did the shopping and packed the items from trolley to the bags in the boot of my car to avoid lifting. Then called at my friends house for cake and coffee on the way home to tell her I am now more independent again and to engage her company in coming to the swimming pool as I need to gain confidence in getting to and from changing room to poolside.

I no longer need any medications, including the stool softeners as things have returned to normal since codeine was discontinued. Sleeping is getting better and I can now sleep on the operated side for an hour or so. I still ice and elevate for at least 60 minutes twice daily in the conservatory whilst listening to an audio book or watching the birds in the garden which sometimes results in a nap.

I don't think I would have made this progress without the support of everyone, moderators @Josephine, @Jaycey and fellow hippies, without this wonderful website as although I don't post daily I do look in, especially when I need to check thing out. The guidelines and library information have been an invaluable reference to guide and support me and others. Thank you everyone, you are all superstars
 
Great update @Tedsmum ! Glad you are on your way to that pain free life. Don't be a stranger!
 
@Tedsmum... So great for you. I too find my life is starting to begin again. So happy you are doing well!!!
 
@Tedsmum Wow! It sounds like you are doing fantastic for six weeks. I certain agree with your comments, too, about the BoneSmart family. They are the best! Thanks for the report!
 
Hi @Tedsmum ,
Glad to hear your fab report! You are doing really well for 6 wks. I started swimming again at about 8 or 9 wks and took one crutch from the changing room to the poolside, which gave me more confidence as parts of the floor were quite slippery. Found getting in to the pool by the steps a bit nerve-wracking at first, but you soon get used to it again.
Best wishes for your continued recovery,
Diane
 
Thank you everyone, just hoping for some continued sunshine and we can go away in our motorhome
Elaine
 
Back
Top Bottom