Ankle Talonaviculnar Fusion

I had the guide wires too as mine was lobular cancer which doesn’t tend to present as a palpable mass until it’s quite large. It was only when they did the mammogram to check the wires were in the right place that they discovered a second tumour hiding behind the first. It hadn’t shown up on the 2 dimensional original mammogram which was when I was told the lumpectomy would probably just be a staging for the mastectomy.

I must admit to being surprised to get the call from physio today but I’m not complaining.
 
I saw the physio today. The appointment went well. He thought my foot was coming along well and was very impressed with my scar. I have 4 exercises to do to build up the muscles surrounding the joint and go back in a month. He’s happy for me to go back to the gym, would prefer me to wear trainers as much as possible walking and ice and elevate to keep any swelling to a minimum to enable as much movement as possible.
 
That's good news, how are you finding walking in general now?
Do you have much swelling, does it happen at certain times? I know it's expected, but mine is really minimal, although the foot is a bit pink at the end of the day even though I'm not walking on it.
Are you happy with this repair, Lindy?
I ended up at the GP today re my wrist which has multiple lumps and swelling now, told it was RSI and it needed strapping. She can send me to the physio, but it will be 6 weeks. Got to find a new private physio as my usual lady has had a skiing accident, she's on crutches as well! The neighbour fell over on the ice yesterday and broke her wrist, we are all at it!
 
It’s early days walking. When I stand it feels quite uncomfortable at first but once I get moving it improves. I haven’t walked any great distance yet. The local shops are 7 minutes away and that’s as far as I’ve been.

Standing is worse because although only 50% is on one foot there’s no break as there is in walking, Standing ironing the other evening it was quite painful but times are improving. Swelling isn’t too bad. As soon as my trainer feels tight I’ve been elevating for 20 minutes and it soon goes down. Mr Yousaf said to take it slowly and gradually increase distance so that’s what I’ll do. My foot can be quite pink at the end of the day too. The physio reckoned he would be seeing me for 4 or 5 months and wouldn’t commit to when or if I can start dancing again until rehab is completed. I’m happy with how the foot looks and progress so far. Mr Y said my foot shape was very similar to pre op which was a good omen so time will tell if I’m happy with it after rehab.

Sorry to hear about your wrist. That’s a long wait for physio. I can’t believe mine came through so quickly but I got the impression it would have been longer at Kingston. Also it was classed as post op which I suppose makes a difference.

You‘re not doing well with neighbours and physio are you? Snow and ice aren’t friendly are there? I dread them these days. I’ll be taking extra care! You too I hope!
 
I'm glad your physio is being honest with you. I ended up with more than 6 months physio when I had my left foot reconstruction but it was a second attempt & there was a lot done to it. It used to swell alarming but then again I was going to work so had less opportunity to elevate & ice. You might find using one of your ice packs helpful at night, it's helping my wrist.
My friendly physio is likely to come to my home in the next day or so, must be a bit better!
 
Last edited:
That’s good news about your physio. I feel as if both surgeon and physio have been quite realistic. I just do as I’m told! I’m on the foot more and more each day so it seems to be going in the right direction. Hopefully, if your foot operation involved less than the reconstruction of the other foot it won’t be quite as long for you this time. The physio was keen to stress that it’s important not to compare yourself with others and that one leg/knee/foot etc can be very different to another even if they’re on the same person, as I know from the knees.
 
Very right, things go along as they do & forcing it can cause trouble. Yes my first knee took forever a year or so, nearly put me off, 2nd one 6 weeks, barmy or what?
My Kingston hospital surgeon said it would be a year to recovery then wrote to my GP that it would be 6 months! Current surgeon said 6-9 months with the disability he saw but it could be a year to forget about it completely. Realistic, either way it needed doing & it takes as long as it does. But I'm very keen to get back to my visiting & theatre groups, been to a couple of events this week on the wobble crutch! So much to do!
 
@Annie N Well done on getting out and about. I suffered yesterday after going to the hospital with the other half. I had been on my feet for quite a while before we went so that didn’t help. I’m wondering if I should still use the air boot from time to time until I’m a bit further on in the rehab. The physio was keen I shouldn’t use it but I was struggling to do the exercises yesterday as it was painful so it seems counter productive to me.
 
I'd say you do what is best for you in the long term Lindy.
Physio staff are young so they really don't see it how it is do they? Better they see you struggling I'm afraid, speak your mind to get the best out of this. You will have bad days & good days, it was just a bad day. Heat & ice & anti inflammatories will be your friend as well as physio.
The physios have targets, usually get rid of you after 6 visits, so bear that in mind & don't accept it if you don't want to.
I know an excellent hands on private physio in Wimbledon if you decide that's better for you
 
Thanks Annie. I’m going to try Aquaphysio first. I walked down to a friend’s yesterday, only about 6 minutes away but my foot wasn’t happy last night and still painful this morning. I’m using ice and heat, can’t take anti inflammatories, but have been taking Paracetemol. It does feel as if most of the pain is coming from the next joint. When Mr Y showed me the x-rays he pointed out that the gap between that joint had widened because of the fusion and in time it would take on some of the function of the talonavicular so maybe that’s what’s happening. It’s a very different pain from before. Onwards and upwards!
 
It's very frustrating isn't it? You are told your are repaired but it seems worse. This learning to walk again but differently is a bit of a struggle & will take time. Maybe that was just a bad day & a good day will follow, fingers crossed.

I'm assuming you know that it will take 6 months for the bone to fully repair if you had a bone graft, did you? My husband & my sister's current man both had back fusions & they both really struggled with this period of fixed but not quite that went on for months, both with bone fusions. It was 6 months before my husband went back to work.
Can I ask how long you had this foot issue before it was corrected? If it was years it may be an extended recovery to adjust but the day will come when suddenly you don't notice your foot at all.

My right foot issues started in 2007, I had a reconstruction end 2010 & it was definitely 2012 before it was way better than before, but it was a second surgery to corrected a real muck up! My surgeon thought it would be a year but was not surprised it was longer. However it is way better, really worthwhile.

Maybe you still need some light support in the interim? Can you put some light strapping across this area of the foot where it's hurting before you take short walls? You can buy decent kinesiology tape from superdrug in WP, it's all over my thumb joint right now, it's very helpful. There's good you tube videos telling you how to use it you might find handy.

You'd love my new crutch, talk about old lady stuff!
 
Thanks Annie. I did have a bone graft. I noticed a problem as soon as I had my knee replacement in January 2020. My right leg was turned in because of my knock knees. Once they’d straightened the leg I noticed that my foot turned out and I couldn’t rotate it inwards. The pain didn’t begin until Autumn 2020 and was bearable until I walked up a very steep hill and at one point I couldn’t put any weight on it. At that point I had physio, referral to podiatry, orthotics and then referral to orthopaedics. Although it’s been 4 years since I was aware of the foot problem, my right knee had been an issue for 25 years before that and it’s often a misaligned leg that causes the isssue with the ankle I read.

I think I need to clear my head of knee recovery. With that I found it easier to increase distances than I am with the foot. I’ve just booked Aquaphysio so hope that will help. The length of time between NHS physio appointments is too long I feel and no chance to ask questions, Do I persevere regardless of pain? Resort to aircast boot again if it helps me walk further or is that just not helpful in the healing process? When I hear of all you’re planning to do once you‘re out of your boot I feel as if I’m way behind even thinking of it.

My skin doesn’t react well to tape. We tried that with my knee and I came out in a rash. I have used a compression stocking to minimise swelling and that gives some support.

Good luck with the new crutch!
 
Oh dear, I was knock-kneed as well - severely as it turned out.

Please be careful with the other foot, it may be slightly compromised as well. Make sure you always wear your orthotics. I can tell you a long tale about orthotics until I got that one fixed properly!

Right now, maybe take your questions to the aqua physio and ask away, you have lots more time there. Say hello to John for me.

I'd ask them about this tape suggestion and your glue sensitivity, or I can bring you round a bit for you to try out. It's really different to the usual plasters type tape, and a bit expensive as a result.

Ann
 
I had my first aquaphysio today. It felt so good walking up and down in the pool and doing all the exercises pain free. The physio thought I had good movement in the foot already and was ahead of where she thought I might be. She also thought some of the continuing left knee problem might be because I’ve been favouring the right foot so the left knee has been overworked. She’s suggested I put more weight on the right when doing the exercises, which should help both knee and foot hopefully.
 
That's good to hear, who is your physio? Do you have different exercises to the land physio?
No doubt you will have been walking lopsidedly for some time without even being aware, it takes a great deal of concentration to stop that, doesn't it?
I'm curious about your ROM, do you think you will ever be able to twist the foot from left to right, mine's a bit stiff, but I was told the other joints will take over eventually.
 
@Annie N My physio is Aaliyah. I saw her before for my knee. They are different exercises to the land physio apart from heel raises and balance. The land physio only gave me 4 exercises. I’m struggling with moving the foot to the right, moving left is better. It is gradually coming along but slowly. I couldn’t move it to the left at all before the op. I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw the sole of my right foot, probably before the right knee was replaced. Mr Y said the next joint will take over some of the function.

I had my second session today and the foot is feeling it now so it’s up and icing at the moment.
 
Interesting, I've had enough ankle breaks to know the range of moment exercises. Mine is the left foot. It didn't move inside or out when I first got it back, just up and down. I've got a little move to the inside but but very little the other way so far.
I've received a letter from my surgeon that says they other joints will eventually take over the function of the talonavicular joint over the next 6-9 months. Balance is an issue but that's primarily due to lack of use & is actually pretty hard to get back quickly as I recall. Bit of back on presently as I'm off right now to see Hamnet.
Are you going weekly? When will she let you move over to self managed?
 
Gutted as I’ve come down with a rotten sore throat and cold. Had to cancel aquaphysio and our 3 day trip to Norfolk tomorrow. We were due to visit my husband’s brother who has leukaemia and is quite poorly so don’t dare taking any germs with us. He was given 12 to 18 months 18 months ago and we like to visit every couple of months usually but haven‘t seen him since September. Being a lounge lizard today. :sleep:
 
Getting out at last, and this is what happens!
You made the right decision of course, hopefully it will go, and you can head off soon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom