Guest viewing is limited

Ankle Talonaviculnar Fusion

It’s amazing they found it. I’m surprised the criminals didn’t switch the number plate.
I think I was dreading the recovery so much, which was why I kept putting it off, but it’s not been anywhere near as bad as I thought. Because my other knee isn’t great I had visions of being wheeled everywhere.

Shouldn’t you being waited on when recovering from surgery rather than the other way round? Insist on it this time!
 
I took a different point of view, the quicker I sorted the foot the stronger I would be, & the faster recovery. Also I have an allotment, so there's only 3 months of the year I've got to recover. As soon as my last knee replacement was close to behaving I was pushing this with Kingston & getting nowhere. I'd started to go downhill, & having been here before I knew what was coming. Last time it took 2 years to be back to normal, mainly due to the previously failed surgery, because it had got so bad. Everyone is different & everyone has a different level of support. Your surgeon needed to be honest with you & that's fair, but he could have been more encouraging. The last new knee is the one holding me up, it's been moaning but I think it's actually stronger now as a result of all the work it's doing. The older knee unfortunately is a failed repair, it's loose & unstable & needs redoing again, but it's not painful so will have to wait.
Not much chance of himself waiting on me, he can't see the nose on the end of his face, I just had to go out to the garage to point out something we needed bringing into the house that he swore was not there. Lovely having to do that in the dark!
 
I get where you’re coming from but I pushed myself with my first knee and that’s not ended so well. The second happened just before lockdown so other than walking my options were limited and that one’s fantastic.

I was warned my bones were soft, just being that bit older doesn’t help, and not to let it become too painful before resting it, which is what I’m doing. I don’t want to risk it not fusing properly. Men can be very good at not seeing something unless it’s right in front of them!
 
Down to one crutch around the house this week. It makes life so much easier. Using two outside though and gradually spending more time on foot and walking a little further.
 
Down to one crutch around the house this week. It makes life so much easier. Using two outside though and gradually spending more time on foot and walking a little further.
That's good, I expect you are very please, is it 10 weeks now? So that means you are putting all your weight through the foot, which will really help when the boot comes off. It won't be too long now. Is this extra work making it sore?
What a great Christmas present to yourself. Getting back to driving is so much more difficult when it's your right foot, but I'm sure that will be your aim.
Just thinking about trying driving out myself now but need to work out how to manage the various crutches to get in and out of the car, forgotten as it's been a while since the last break! We are on our toes here a bit more now, we've fostered a couple of kittens for the Christmas holidays, having to be very careful, but it's lovely fun. A great distraction when you're stuck with your foot up a 2 cats competing for your lap. Their faces when they see the knee crutch coming towards them is quite funny.
 
It’s been 9 weeks Annie. Most of the time the crutch is still taking some of the weight of the foot, to varying degrees depending on how sore it is. I’m taking a few steps without it, mainly in the kitchen where the worktops come in handy if I need one.

The dishwasher packed up on Sunday so I’m in there more at present. It was the hair dryer the Sunday before so I‘m hoping it’s not 3 Sundays in a row and the cooker and fridge don’t pack up!

The foot does get quite sore now but I make sure I’m not on it for too long and yesterday did revert to 2 crutches for a very short while just to relieve some pressure.

I don‘t drive so not something I have to worry about. I can’t say I‘ve had a problem getting in the car with crutches and they fit quite nicely between me and the door but not sure how you work it out with a knee crutch. Can you Google and see if there‘s a video?

Enjoy your kittens. Animals are great to watch and 2 little kittens must be great fun.
 
:loveshwr:I can take the boot off now, short walks without it indoors building up to short walks outdoors gradually increasing to longer walks and shopping (although I hate shopping so that’s no issue).

He was very happy with progression and said I was about 2 weeks ahead of where he thought I might be and it would probably be another 8 weeks before I’d really feel the benefit. I have an appointment in 3 months with the proviso to bring it forward if I need to or to cancel it if I have no problems and am happy to do so.

it did feel strange walking without the boot for a short while. I felt as if I’d come ashore after being at sea for some time. It’s so nice to wear a pair of trainers again and not be lopsided.
 
Out of the boot yippee!
So does that mean it's fully fused? Did you see your x-rays?
So you just need to learn to walk again, bet that feels very odd.
What is happening with physio, you will surely need that to make the most of your new foot, Kingston hospital has really good physiotherapy as well
 
What a wonderful milestone!!! :loveshwr:

Take it slow and easy and ENJOY it!
 
He showed me the x-rays @Annie N completely fused, no gap at all. There is arthritis to a lesser degree in another joint in the foot but said both he and Mr Gill were of the opinion that by fusing the talonavicular it would, hopefully, reduce the threat of more wear and tear on it. He recommended physio but as I’m out of the area I need to go back to my GP for referral to Kingston.

I’m going to try hydrotherapy first while I’m waiting for the referral to go through. Mr Gill recommended it when I saw him and I had some before with my problem knee. Once they give me the basics I can carry on using it in the pool at the gym or I could even see the physio there.
 
All good news but that's rats re physio, i don't believe a word of that, lazy frankly. And you really need physio urgently. What's the point of this fusion if your don't get taught how to walk correctly with this fusion? Honestly they are experts at Kingston, don't go with folk who are generalists please. It was a Kingston hospital physio who finally got the ball rolling for me in 2022 when the orthopaedic staff kept discharging me, now a year ago. I had no problems getting that referral to physio from orthopedics, don't accept that.
I'm also technically out of area but I got referral from my Kingston knee surgery to Kingston physio. Maybe try a call to PALS at Kingston and ask them if that's true as it's appalling, you need that support and quickly. Pals sorted them out when I'm was discharged with both feet still in casts once in 2018, stupid behaviour caused that as well.
I can highly recommend the hydrotherapy pool in Garth Road near st Anthonys hospital, Morden, Comes with physio but expensive, if you don't drive that's awkward to get to.
My foot also has cuneiform joint arthritis, not severe enough I'm told and the surgeon said if it got worse a hydrocortisone jab would likely correct for a long time. My first hydrocortisone jab sorted it for about 3 years, didn't even know there was arthritis coming frankly.
Sorry to be grumpy but honestly!
 
Last edited:
Congratulations on your amazing news of getting out of the boot and back to walking freely! I can’t wait to be in your shoes (pun intended). I am so happy for you!

:walking:
 
@Annie N My GP has referred me already. I’m not out of the area for Kingston physio but the surgeon is at SWLEOC. I’ve been to Kingston physio many times in the past 5 years. Sadly they’ve not been able to sort my left knee problem out and discharged me last August.

It’s Garth Road that I’m going to. Mr Gill also recommended them and that’s where I went for my knee problem but still ended up back at Kingston for more physio again. The only thing that’s going to change anything seems to be a complicated revision with no guarantee anything will improve although all physios seem to be under the impression the foot surgery might help. I hope they’re right although not convinced as the problem was there before the foot started causing a problem. The other half will take me, he did before.
 
Oh dear snap.
I've got to have my left knee revised yet again when the left foot is fixed, a date was offered for this just after I fixed my date for my foot. The knee is only 3 years old but had always been unstable, no-one could be bothered to check it until the revision was offered for my right knee & I asked for something different to the left knee. Then they discovered it was so loose. It was the reason I fell the week before my right knee revision (went into surgery with a boot on my left foot!). At the very minimum they have fitted the wrong sized spacer, still not told me how did that happen?
 
Last edited:
Hmmm 2019 is when I had my left knee done. It always felt alien and unstable but I was told it was a tight illiotibial band and the dodgy right knee not helping my balance. I had loads of physio that didn’t do anything. 2020 when I had the right knee done, that has been fine from the outset, I had something to compare it to and was referred back to orthopaedics and I had a Spect scan but there was no loosening and the only problem found was that my patella wasn’t tracking properly. More months of physio made no difference so it seems I’ve got to live with it. Time will tell if things improve once the foot is fully healed.

i hope you have a better outcome.
 
I was told IT band problems after my first partial, but that fixed itself after 9 months or so, didn't believe it really it was just delayed healing.
This time my knee was actually found to bend forward and sideways a bit as well as backwards when someone finally grabbed my knee & manipulated it. I didn't know why it was loose but apparently that can only be because of the wrong sized spacer, or incorrect sized replacement. It doesn't hurt but it gives way still, disconcerting especially on slopes. That's a surgical fault, something they are trying to wash their hands of, one of those things I'm told. It caused the fall, the break, & started my ankle arthritis getting out of hand 18 months ago.
 
It seems very easy for them to blame it on something without checking it out. I signed up for Nuffield’s joint pain programme for my knee problem, told the guy I had an issue with my IT band. He got me to do something with my leg (can’t remember what now) and said if you can do that there’s nothing wrong with your IT band…… Why didn’t they do that?

I don’t see how fitting the wrong spacer can be ‘just one of those things’. You must be sick and tired of surgery by now. I am and I haven’t had half your problems.
 
Oh I've had so many surgical errors, I seem to attract them.
I had early stage breast cancer in 2010, it needed a lumpectomy to check if the suspicious patch seen on my first mammogram was malignant. That took three surgeries not one, the first one missed a bit (even though they used metal markers to identify the patch to remove), then the further excision 2 weeks later left me with internal bleeding & emergency surgery. Also just one of this things! That year was a doody, 6 surgeries in one year plus radiotherapy. I could tell you about the first surgical (anesthetic) error 25 years ago that left me with complex regional pain syndrome for 10 years. I'm no fan of the NHS, cover up merchants.
 
Crumbs you’ve not been lucky. I’m the reverse. I can’t complain, the NHS has been very good to me. I’ve been very fortunate. I was also diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2009 but my mammogram showed it was 98% certain it was malignant. I had lumpectomy followed by mastectomy. It is very common for them not to get it all first time.They like to have a certain clearance.

i have a physio appointment on Tuesday at Surbiton. I’m quite happy with that as they were very good trying to sort my first knee out before I had the second one done.
 
Gosh you got physio so early that's going to make a major difference.
My lumpectomy was marked with metal clips to show the edges as there was no palpable lump, put in via mammogram with metal tags hanging out so they just had to cut to the lines! Obviously in the too difficult category. Those clips are still there in case of recurrence. I've also got tiny tattoos to mark the edge of the radiotherapy in case I needed more
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom