Ankle Talonavicular joint fusion scheduled Nov 23

Wow, 2 miles! I wouldn’t contemplate that yet. I’m concentrating more perhaps on walking without the boot and crutches so still doing quite short distances. I can walk barefoot although it can be quite painful when I first get up on it although easing all the time but I’m a few weeks ahead of you in recovery although my bones probably aren’t in as good condition. Mr Y did say they were soft.

i’m glad you enjoyed Hamnet. My friend who wished she hadn’t bothered with it and put me off had read the book so maybe that was the problem. I loved the book and she said she thought I’d be better reading it again. I don’t think I’m ready for a trip to London just yet though. We were thinking of going to a concert Saturday but it’s rail replacement to Clapham Junction so don’t think we’ll bother.

We’re waiting to hear about my husband’s carpal tunnel op. He’s on the urgent list as he’s in danger of using the use of his thumb he’s delayed it for so long. He won't be able to use his right hand for 2 weeks but not as long as yours will be out of action. Hope it’s not too onerous for the pair of you.
 
Oh dear it never ends does it? Hope you husband gets sorted soon, and he behaves himself, which mine is trying not to. Fortunately he needs to rest it as it hurts too much otherwise, I'm hoping he'd going to be sensible.
Yes 2 miles in total but still very challenging. I think I'm going to try to get back on my bike this weekend instead as doing that again in the next week is possibly too much. Supposed to be going back to my volunteering role next Tuesday but it's not practical to get there just now.
No I'd not be doing the rail replacement bus either too unreliable.
Fancy coffee one day? Can you get to Hooky Street Cafe at Malden Manor?
 
@Annie N I was at Hooky Street this morning! Coffee and trading notes sounds good. When are you free? I’ve nothing on tomorrow or Saturday but pretty busy all next week. We’re in Norfolk for 3 days and the week after is filling up quickly. One minute there’s nothing on the the calendar and then it all comes at once!

The chance of mine doing as he’s told is remote. When we came out of the consultation all he could focus on was no cycling. He couldn’t remember the surgeon saying he must do the exercises!
 
Saturday is good for me I've nothing on but a bit of gardening so you name the time please.
 
Inside might be better, I'll be carrying a crutch!
 
I love this! Hope you had a great meet up!
We did thanks, it's funny how things turn out - we live quite close to each other.
We have other interests in common, so next month will be testing our walking skills with a visit to a garden in our area.
Lynda, my tame physio called and told me to take the walking easy, she said after a prolonged time non weight-bearing that you can be prone to stress fractures if you do too much too early. She doesn't think it's worth seeing me for 2 weeks. Yikes. So I got on my bike instead and did a short tour of the local roads. So lovely to be able to cycle again.
 
It was so good to meet you and compare stories. That’s interesting news from your physio. I was at 14 weeks when I first saw the physio and given those first 4 simple exercises and maybe why he left it so long before seeing me again although more likely to be fitting in an appointment. I’ll carry on building up my walking slowly, good to hear you managed the bike.

At least there are plenty of benches at Wisley to rest on in between!
 
I moved my stationary bike back into place this morning. I may try it tomorrow. It’s a little awkward to mount even without an injury, so I will see what I can do.

So happy to read your meeting went well! It’s nice to have someone who fully understands what you’re going through for support.
 
I finally managed to see my physio a few days back, interesting. My 20 month old knee replacement in the opposite leg is acting up badly and I asked why. After all I'm able to cycle locally & walk regularly if no more than a mile at a go because the foot stops working properly.
Seems we really need to go back to basics, my balance and strength will be heavily affected by lack of normal use for 3 months & needs restoring. So that's why walking barefoot is hard & using the stairs is difficult without the handrail.
So the next month is a diet is wall squats, sit stands, cycling, short walks, & balance exercises to restore basic function so we can do something more challenging. I asked about exercises in water & she's given me a few but said that's not going to approach my needs as weight bearing exercises are needed now to counter the long period of non weight bearing!
I'm not allowed to wobble, walk slower with a stick to reteach my brain what walking properly looks like! I've been encouraged to continue rest elevation & ice. If I've still got knee problem in 8 weeks that's the time to be concerned, very encouraging.
It's sick city here anyway, himself had a rotator cuff repair & tendon rebuild 3 weeks back & is in a sling, both cats were spayed last week & are wearing bodysuits, might as well get it all done....
 
Oh that’s really interesting. I’ve just replied to your reply to me, should have read this first. We’ll have a lot to talk about next week! Are you saying you’re not allowed to walk with a stick or do need to? I haven’t been using mine but now wonder if I should. My land physio didn’t think hydrotherapy would be particularly helpful but Mr Gill (the first surgeon I saw) recommended it, and I do enjoy doing the walking and exercises without any pain. I feel as if I’m walking normally in water, but not on land as far as the opposite leg goes. The foot feels ok walking although takes a few steps to feel that way. The aqua physio has been working on my knee as well, but I might have a chat with her tomorrow about going forward especially if I’m back at the gym. Your knee problem is the one that is usually ok isn’t it? Mine is the one that’s always been a problem.

You aren’t a very healthy/able bodied household at present. I hope that changes pretty quickly now!
 
Sorry If I wasn't clear - walking evenly with the stick is essential until my balance is properly restored, and I can walk without a wobble. So walking without is fine indoors or for short bursts as that's doable - further afield I'm told to take a stick even if it's not doing much so I can use it when I get tired or wobbly. I asked my physio why she thought pool work would not be helpful, she said walking in water might be OK, but it's not very challenging as it's not weight-bearing, she said swimming might be working the wrong muscles to help balance and walking strengths. She was very keen on knee squat and holds to sort out the quads and leg strength. I'll explain the knee background when I see you.
 
I spoke to the Aquaphysio yesterday and she said the same about sticks so I took my walking pole with me today and didn’t need to use it although I didn’t go far. I did quite a bit of exercises on my quads when I was non weight bearing so they’re not too bad.

Mr Gill did recommend aquaphysio whilst in an Aircast boot which makes more sense although I couldn’t work out how I’d manage to get up the stairs and in and out the pool on one leg but John assured me yesterday that they can work round that. It’s a bit late now though. I had a chat to the physio and she said if I’m going back to the gym this week and doing Pilates and Aqua aerobics that might be enough alongside my other exercises and just book more Aquaphysio if I feel the need so I’ll see how it goes.
 
So you can book aqua on your own now? It's a lot cheaper that way and I did find the exercises with the flippers helpful personally, but that was for my knee.
 
Yes, I booked it on my own for my knee as well. I’m not sure I’d want flippers on my foot at present. It feels much better this week and a friend commented on how much better I was walking.

I saw my podiatrist/chiropodist this morning and she said since my foot operation I’m walking more on the outside of my other (left) foot which might account for the knee and groin issues and the feeling that I’m veering to the left so she’s told me to make sure as I place my heel down and start to walk to make sure I push off on ball of the big toe joint. I’m to practice in front of a mirror 10 times daily. Walking back from there I concentrated on doing that and it did seem to help.
 
One of my exercises is basically rocking between feet, practicing walking correctly as well. Something I've not done properly in some while so it needs learning, sounds silly doesn't it but it's quite hard actually
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom