Guest viewing is limited

THR Taking a step back<

Do you think these exercises for stretching are safe for me at this point?
I wouldn't have suggested it if I'd thought otherwise. But do read that piriformis article carefully as there is an important caveat in there.

My pre-op PT said it was bad for my circulation and would inhibit the healing process
This is true if it's being applied to a skinny arm or leg, or even worse, a hand or foot. But a hip is so well padded, it really doesn't matter! Just make sure you have a layer of something between you and the ice - don't want you getting freezer burn!
 
Hi @StayStrong
I hope you're doing better and feeling more optimistic.
It all takes time, slow and steady....
Wishing you a great day!
 
Thanks so much for the diagnostic help @Josephine and the solution support. I've got a call into my Dr. so he gets familiar too and doesn't send his next patient away with no options! Huge Hugs of gratitude!
 
Thank you so much for your continued kind words and support @Layla . I'm just having to adjust my expectations and remember my gratitude list... like finding the help and support on this site and the sweet encouragement from you and others. Finding my way forward now with great information and knowledgeable support from @Josephine, ice, Naproxin and patience. I was able to pull together a moderate family 60th birthday party for my husband yesterday and that made me happy that I was able enough to make that happen :)
 
Hi @StayStrong
It's wonderful that you were able to pull the 60th birthday party together for your husband.
What an accomplishment! That can be a lot of work with planning, prep and clean-up. I hope you had help.
Wishing you a peaceful week of continued healing!
 
Oh @Hip Hip Hooray! and @Jaycey Thanks so much for the marvelous support. I'm just getting used to the forum and didn't realize I'd flipped to a new page so I didn't find your posts yesterday when I logged in. So it was great to find them here waiting for me today.

I had just pulled out my journal when I thought to check out the forum during a cup of coffee. Somehow it helps to hear another person had to go back to taking the medication. I come from a "stoic" family and of course I chose a husband that is also of the same mind. My teenage kids are... well teenagers and can't be bothered. Add my surgeon at my 6 week check up appointment saying he has no idea what the pain is. My brain and my family hear that as confirmation that I'm just being a wimp... Of course, I know now that my 7 year struggle to just "get over it" with my hip pain (which was misdiagnosed as bursitis and tendenosis) didn't work. It took me falling down in IKEA and not being able to get back up (they took me out in a wheelchair) before I insisted on finding a solution and eventually found a new doctor that diagnosed the need for a THR .

So your affirmation that it is time to take my body seriously and kindly attend to it is so important to me. Like a long cool drink of water after hanging out in the dessert. You help me to remember: Inhale. Exhale. This too shall pass. One step at a time.

Since I was able to get a total sync with Nurse Josephine's diagnosis of Piriformis Syndrome (once again this site is amazing) I called my surgeon's office to tell him to look out for Piriformis Syndrome in future patients. But, I couldn't get through the receptionist's firewall of needing an appointment to discuss anything with the doctor. Then I tried to get an appointment with the physical therapist but since my doctor gave me a hard copy referral prescription instead of sending it electronically I got another dead end. UGH! Inhale. Exhale. This too shall pass. One step at a time.

Meanwhile, my wonderful dogs have been by my side day in and day out. The little one makes a great heating pad :). Friends have said just call if I need anything so I'm going to overcome that stoic training and reach out to friends today for support as well. You all posting your support of my journey and reading others journeys of recovery helps me to understand that it is OK to ask for help even after I can make my own meals and do the dishes. That is a pretty inspiring "silver lining" that I deeply appreciate:puppysmooze:

Big Hugs!
 
Hi @Layla
Once again you touch my heart. You were one of the first to reach out to me and I continue to appreciate your thoughtful support.

As a mom I'm kind of expected to do all of the event planning for the family and having this milestone birthday while I'm not yet at full speed was intimidating. I have a long post above that explains more. Support from you and others helps me to stay with the idea that sometimes I can only do so much and be OK with the idea that it is sufficient. I did delegate things I would have normally done myself to my teenagers and I'm thinking it could be the start of handing over the baton for them to take a more proactive role in future family events.

Thanks for helping me to acknowledge the bright side!
 
Hi there @StayStrong
First off I thank you for your kind words. I read your entire thread and you've been through a lot.
Seven years of pain and misdiagnosis. I need to hand it to you.....you did Stay Strong!
It's so wonderful you're reaching out as it's comforting to get answers and realize there are others who' have experienced exactly what you are, such as Josephine.

It sounds as though you get great help at home from your teens. That's a blessing as are the sweet dogs who are like little heaters, cozying up at your side. Don't hesitate to call on those freinds who love and care for you, should you need them. Someday you'll be able to return the favor. And don't forget about us. We'll continue to be here offering encouragement, care and support whenever you need it.

Prayers for a peaceful, relaxing rest of the week!
 
Went to the phy. therapist yesterday. I have issues due to the mis-diagnosis causing me to have to walk on my bad hip for 7 years in pain. Now I need to basically learn to walk "normal" again. I'm so happy to have found someone that really understands my aging body. Should be about two months she thinks and I'll be good to go again... ready for a hike :)
 
I also had many years of bad hips and compensated walking and stance. Slow as it may go, and all the strain pains, you will be standing tall and hopefully walking really well before the first of the year. Don't forget to rest up...
People who knew my situation are amazed and say I move and act 20 years younger.
You go girl!

I was misdiagnosed for over 4 years, so it does take a bit.:umm:
 
Hi @StayStrong
It's great you found a PT that seems to understand your issues.
Hopefully with her help you'll get to where you should be soon.
So many of us are still really early in our recoveries.
Hopefully by years end you'll have the kinks ironed out, feeling good as new!
Wishing you continued healing and a great weekend.....
 
Back
Top Bottom