• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
Oh yeah, it's pretty! I will do the coconut oil tomorrow morning. Thank you for the information. Enjoy your drink!

mamazipp

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Tabby I love your new avatar...max, of course, with his intent gaze, as well as the words around him. So apropos to many of my days. Especially after discovering BoneSmart!
Hope you are feeling a bit better.

OP
OP
Tabbycat

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
image.jpeg
@mamazipp
Thanks, but I actually changed my avatar again and that's not a cross-eyed Max, it's a picture from Thyroid Nation. I haven't been diagnosed with thyroid problems, but a lot of the symptoms resonate with me especially the fatigue. I am soldiering on at the moment, with pain in both knees some of the time, but really struggling with all over achiness and tiredness. I feel a lot like I used to when I had an RA flare, but don't know what's triggered it. I knew this whole thing wouldn't be a walk in the park, but it is dragging on now. My hubby keeps telling me I'm getting there, but I'm not sure where there is :sigh:
PS. That's my boy, above, gazing intently at a fly. He sends purrs to Bella :loveshwr:

mamazipp

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
@Tabbycat he looks just like Bella does when she spots some bug or something that only she seems to see. She sends purrs and licks back.
Yes I can see looking more closely that your avatar is definitely NOT Max. But the photo you sent above is just gorgeous.
I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling so achy and tired. It can't feel good to have RA and OA too. I wish there were a good solution for you, to put an end to all that and let you have pain free days. I'm not sure where there is either, but it isn't here. And now, with winter coming, that can't be helpful either. I'm assuming your Welsh winter is similar to our Vancouver Island winter....dark, chilly, rainy. Not pleasant.

Wish I could cheer you up. Well, after the winter, summer comes back (tho not for long here this year). But we just had a 2 week visit with the Royals so there was lots of excitement, and coverage, and someone I know actually got to meet prince William at a child care center, and her young daughter had a little conversation with him, so that was exciting. ( Except for the anti-monarchists, who complained.) but hey, it was fun to see them and their cute children.

Anyway, I hope you have some good days in there. Do you take meds for your RA? I don't know if I could do the coconut oil swishing....it sounds a bit strange.

DodgyKnee

Country
Tabby - you've come so far, I'm sure you can get all the way to "there".

I forgot to mention to you when I saw on another thread that you rescued your dog from Many Tears - so did I! So despite not living in Wales for many a long year, we travelled there Feb 2015 (9 hours round trip) to pick up a puppy who we called Nelly Noodle. Her Mum was rescued from Portugal and found to be pregnant so the litter was born in safety in a foster home.

Small world innit - but I wouldn't want to paint it!

sistersinhim

Country
I am so sorry you are having such struggles. You are such an inspiration to so many, including me! I hold you up in my prayers! You day is coming. And just think how much you are able to help others in their struggles!

OP
OP
Tabbycat

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
Hi @DodgyKnee, how you doin? I did mention on Freedom's thread that I'd come across Many Tears, and found the plight of those poor dogs absolutely heartbreaking. We didn't actually get our pup from there, but from a local advertisement. She wasn't strictly speaking a rescue like all our other pets have been, but we did save her from a life of being cooped up in a first floor flat, and most probably being put down rat holes :yikes: Nelly Noodle is gorgeous, a bit like Penny the dog I had growing up. That was a long journey, but I bet it was worth it. Feb 2015 was when we got Mandy!
Thanks @sistersinhim, this experience helps us rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep, hopefully. Thank you for your prayers and thoughtfulness.
@mamazipp I had to take ill health retirement from teaching in 2006, and went on Methotrexate for seven years, but had some stomach problems and a pleural effusion, so came off it in 2013. I was doing ok until my right knee flared up last October, hence the TKR. I'm reluctant to go back on a DMARD, they suppress the immune system and cause side effects. You are right about the weather, our Welsh winters can be pretty wet. Nice cold dry days, or even snow, I can cope with better, but it's been wet and mild for several years now. Your winters sound similar.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Royal visit, I'm not really pro or against royalty but they come across as a happy family and the children are lovely, but I'm biased, I worked with nursery kids.

Majella

Country
@Tabbycat
Sorry to hear about your recent struggles, however I'm glad your ROM is improving to 110 :happydance:
With time that should get even better. Good luck with the bedroom remodeling...a new bed sounds heavenly :sleep:

mamazipp

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Wow, tabby, you've really been through some rough days. What is DMARD?
I, too, prefer cold, dry weather. When it snows here (rarely) or goes below freezing, I'm more comfortable, while everyone else is complaining. They love rain and damp and gloom, apparently.
Hope you have a good day today.

greatlakes

graduate
Country
Tabby, hope you are having a good day today and some lovely fall weather before winter descends!

OP
OP
Tabbycat

Tabbycat

post-grad
Country
@greatlakes actually I have had a better day today, it might be a one off, but I'm grateful for small mercies. I sat outside to eat my lunch (I always think it feels a bit like a picnic, even if it's just outside the back door) and the weather was dry and quite mild. We have also had a succession of beautiful sunrises the last few days. Lovely sunrises, sunsets and a beautiful full moon always lift my spirits, and you don't have to travel anywhere to see them.
@mamazipp DMARD is Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drug, of which Methotrexate is probably the most used. It helps a lot of people, but many can't tolerate the side effects, or it stops working. You have to have regular blood monitoring as it can affect white cell count, liver function, and can cause serious lung problems. Not a drug to be taken lightly.
Yes, rain and gloom go together for me too, give me a lovely sparkly frosty morning anytime.

birdwatchr

graduate
Country
I can identify with the thyroid symptoms, but not being diagnosed with a problem. Hope you get to feeling better soon! And I'm still wondering where "there" is too!

julesm86

Country
RA & OA ~ that's a lot to deal with on top of recovering from TKR! My sister has both also & the meds are very potent and the docs have to be so careful regulating them. You're in my thots & prayers! You're such an encouragement to everyone ~ thank you! :loveshwr:

mamazipp

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks for the explanation re DMARDs. The lovely sunrises and sunsets are a gift of waning fall days. Enjoy. Eating outside is lovely on those days.

uva55

post-grad
Country
Tabby, it seems like things have been rough for you lately, I am so sorry and I truly hope and pray that you find relief soon. Your husband is right, you will get there, it is just taking a little longer for you and you have been so patient already, but have faith that it will happen for you:flwrysmile:

sheliac

graduate
Country
I love the "picnic" idea. Being outside helps me a lot, too.

I'm saying prayers for you daily. Your positive attitude is inspiring.

Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16

greatlakes

graduate
Country
You will get there! Nice to think of you and @mamazipp watching sunsets and having picnics. Sunrises I can't identify with, haven't seen one since I retired.

Dawni

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
@Tabbycat I wish you felt better, I feel for you I went through the same with my first TKR thank god the second was a lot better, my hubby is on methotrexate injections and takes its toll but works. Take care x

LTKR 11 May 2016

tjcteacher

senior
Country
You have so much to deal with. You cat is so cute. I have a one-eyed cat. She was a rescue. She lost her eye as a baby but she is still a pretty good hunter! I have one rescue dog and a mixed dog we bought. They are so much company.

I am blessed-have lots of "stuff" but I can still get out and about ok. Thyroid cancer, diabetic, crazy blood pressure and this OA but the RA would be the worst! Just all day everyday I'm sure. I think we often forget all the side effects our many medications can have. I think I take a pill for everything! It gets old but grateful for something that helps the symptoms of all the diseases.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Chicagojoe25
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom