Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR Swelling

A different question re MCL:

I have had pain in the MCL ligament since my PKR’s. Just on the right knee. When I spoke to my surgeon he told me that when he straightened my legs during the replacement surgery, the MCL would have been stretched.

It pains in bed if my leg hangs and pulls the MCL or even with pressure, and if I do certain movements like pushing inward with my foot. Typical MCL inflammation. Has anyone had this problem? And did the MCL settle down eventually? It’s been 5 months since PKR surgery.
 
I will give you my words of advice..
time is your best friend..take it slow, let the knee heal , it will!
 
Has anyone had this MCL problem after leg straightening?
 
I recently fell off a ladder (a small one) and strained my 7month old knee. I reckon I stretched or nipped my MCL, and it felt like I was back where I started.

But with liberal amounts of anti inflammatory gel and wearing a knee brace, it felt pretty comfortable, and the pain disappeared in a couple of weeks. I suspect the knee brace was the important part of this as it restricted continual aggravation.
Might help you?
 
This is interesting. I may try this. My MCL has been hurting for a couple of months, since I finished up my pain meds totally. But I haven’t tried a brace. What kind of brace? I have some neoprene ones from before my knee op.
 
Yes, the neoprene ones, which use velcro straps to tighten them up.
I wouldn't use them all the time, just when you know you are going to do something with which you struggle.
I've just realised we rarely mention the use of braces on here, but don't know why. Comments anyone?
 
@Caspermango Similar with my new knee too and I just past 6 months TKR some bizarre movement getting off a sofa has left me out of action for nearly 5 days, all I have done is ice :ice:
Taken anti-inflammatory and rested today 1st morning it feels happier.

@Tykey maybe a different name is used for a brace - I wasn't sure what you meant only when you said neoprene. I myself would call it a knee strap /wrap will ask the team - I have visions of a metal contraption when you say brace :flabber:
 
Last edited:
Thanks. I have a pair of those from before my op. I will try it and see if it helps the MCL.
 
I have recommend a brace when a member has an unstable knee due to ligament rupture or instability, that has persisted for an extended period of time, year+. This happens very seldom.
In the US usually it will be prescribed by your MD and you are fitted by an orthotist.

When a member has swelling after activity I may recommend a knee sleeve or something similar to what you are using. The surgical stocking many people go home with post op will can also help with swelling.
 
Has anyone had this MCL problem after leg straightening?
Yes, I had exactly that situation. To straighten my leg (sideways), they did "release" work on my MCL and that spot was one of the more painful places during recovery. I called it the "gopher hole" problem. Imagine shoving some loose dirt back into a gopher hole, using the inside edge of your foot and pushing inwards with your leg. That movement/force hurt pretty bad for several months. I thought it was almost gone, but I went swimming and tried breast stroke. The frog kick generated the same force direction and was still painful. I'm a little weak in that direction, but the sharp MCL pains have gone away.
I had other problems that lasted longer. I hope that you don't get many of those, and that your MCL heals up properly.
 
Thanks so much for your answer. It’s very reassuring to know that prolonged pain after straightening is normal. I love your description of the gofer hole! It’s absolutely dead on!!
 
Hi, I was signed off by my surgeon a few weeks ago. I was delighted. Knees were great. I did a lot of decorating over the last few weeks. Up ladders and moving around a lot. I had no problem at first, then suddenly last week my knees got sore. Mainly the knee that was always worse. I thought it would settle down, but a week on it hasn’t. It’s like a toothache in my knee. Also a bit of swelling, and feels puffy and sore to walk on. So I’ve been resting the legs more and not doing long walks or strenuous exercises, but I don’t want to lose strength either. Is it common for knees to get inflamed more than a year on?
 
@Caspermango

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

It's not unusual for new knees to complain when you start any new activity. Certainly climbing up and down ladders and decorating is not something you do everyday. Your knees got a workout! The swelling is what is causing the pain. Ice and elevate to reduce the swelling.
 
@Caspermango

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

It's not unusual for new knees to complain when you start any new activity. Certainly climbing up and down ladders and decorating is not something you do everyday. Your knees got a workout! The swelling is what is causing the pain. Ice and elevate to reduce the swelling.


Ok. Thanks. But is it normal to get swelling after new activity more than a year post op? And does this change in the future? At what stage do the knees stop swelling? Or will they always swell if over-worked?
 
I had some occasional swelling into my second year if I pushed the envelope @Caspermango but I would say only the first 6-8 months into the second year, I haven't noticed it for a while and I have been really active a few times since without noticing any after affects. My recovery continued throughout my second year and I'm confident I'll see even more in my third.
 
Thanks. Good to know it’s not too unusual and should settle.
 
Back
Top Bottom