Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR susieo461<

Well, I am 6months post LTKR and got bad news from my os on Monday. Still trying to process. My knee has been moving in a way it should not and I showed the doc what it does. He saw it and immediately said "oh, you have a torn ligament". Not what I expected or wanted to hear. I have to have surgery again for him to remove the upper portion of the replacement and put in one that will work with the torn ligament.
That sounds very odd to me. I would have thought it possible to repair the ligament without removing the upper implant. In any case, they come as a set, so a different femoral implant may not work with the original tibial implant.

Please don't go ahead with this until you have had a second opinion from a surgeon who specialises in knee revisions. These surgeons see problem knees every working day and they can often see a problem and suggest a solution that has eluded the original surgeon. I'm going to ask @Josephine for her opinion.
 
I showed the doc what it does. He saw it and immediately said "oh, you have a torn ligament". I have to have surgery again for him to remove the upper portion of the replacement and put in one that will work with the torn ligament.
Did he say exactly which ligament was torn? Otherwise I'm a bit confused!
 
It is either the ACL or the PCL from where he pointed on the chart picture. He said when replacement surgery is done they pull those tendons/ligaments out of the way. He did say that he would have to put in another type of upper replacement and that it would fit with the lower replacement piece.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time. Recovery, to me, is bad enough without having to deal complications. I hope that you are at least able to enjoy your planned trip.
 
@Josephine, I answered you in the wrong way evidently. The surgeon looked at what my knee is doing and immediately said you have a torn ligament/tendon. He examined the knee and pointed to a spot on the wall chart which is either the ACL or the PCL. He did say that he would remove the top portion of the replacement and put in a different kind that would fit with the lower replacement.




susieo461
 
@susieo461, if you are directing something to a specific person, just put @ in front of their name. In this case it would be @Josephine. This will "tag" that person so that they know that you would like them to read or follow up on something
 
@susieo461

I've deleted some of your posts, the ones that just had a quote in them.
You tagged Josephine correctly.
You've learned how to quote, so just carry on and type your response in the box at the bottom of the page, where the quote has already appeared.
This article may help:
How to use the quote feature
 
Hello all,
Nov 13 was my revision of my LKR done last Feb. All went well but could not
walk until day 3 due to the thigh block. As soon as I proved to hosp staff I could navigate I was out of there.

This revision has turned out to be a big difference than the TKR.
1. Not nearly as much pain.

2. I am on OxyContin instead of Hydrocodone this time. Vomited for over 24 hours and then got anti-nausea meds. I read online that some people are nauseous for a week and then no more. That turned out to be the case for me.

3. The OxyContin seemed to put me off balance. (I am a cheap drunk) and as the days went on I felt in danger of falling even with use of a walker.

4. I stopped the OxyContin, sweated and was weak for one morning so I took a 1/4 tab two times and now am off it completely.

5. The pain I have is very minimal especially compared to the TKR. What a relief and surprise.

6. I am using Tylenol for Arthritis and hope,this will be enough. So far so good.

7. Guess I don’t qualify for physical therapy this time so will do what I can at home. I am moving very well and leg is bending at more than 90 degrees already.

8. Resting, elevating and using ice where the knee is “tight”.

9. So far I am so pleased. I go to get my staples next Monday and get an x-ray.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m so glad you are doing well and it’s going better than last time!
 
This is a feel-good story, both for you and for us! Here’s to continued success and healing!
 
Welcome to recovery again, @susieo461 .
I'm glad things seem to be going better this time.

Here is your recovery reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
@Josephine I had a revision Nov 13. I am not having PT. Minimal pain. Tylenol for Arthritis only. Question? I can straighten my leg/knee perfectly on the bed or recliner and even standing. When I walk the muscles in the back of my knee are very tight and are painful for a short time. Do I need to do a special stretch or exercise?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine. I have read the stretches by Roy Moore. I can do them all. Maybe I am expecting those muscles to relax too soon. I think that sometimes my knee will not “lock” when I stand so more stretching is needed even if I can extend well.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Who's Roy Moore?

When I walk the muscles in the back of my knee are very tight and are painful for a short time.
Well you are only 4½ weeks out yet so I would imagine this is just post-op pain. I think you should go back and read my advice to you here where I mentioned you not taking enough pain meds. Did you up your dosage?
 
Pain behind the knee is pretty normal--especially this early. I had lingering pain/stiffness there for quite a few weeks but it gradually went away.
 
Who's Roy Moore?

Well you are only 4½ weeks out yet so I would imagine this is just post-op pain. I think you should go back and read my advice to you here where I mentioned you not taking enough pain meds. Did you up your dosage?

Sorry, I meant to say Roy Gardiner. I am taking more Tylenol and it did help. Thank you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom