THR Surgery scheduled

Welcome to BoneSmart, @avalon54 ! :wave: Like you, I was getting increasingly nervous about my approaching hip replacement surgery and trying to do a lot of Internet research, which was just feeding my nervousness. Since discovering this forum, I have been recommending it to anyone who mentions having hip or knee pain. :) :-) (:

My hip replacement was done on March 30. My surgeon also used the lateral approach, which I was a little nervous about after having read so many positive things online about the anterior approach, but it has been fine. He's an excellent surgeon and did a wonderful job.

As people have mentioned above, you will develop a post-op routine very quickly. Here is a list of tools from my routine that I found to be very helpful in my recovery.

Lounge Doctor: After struggling for days with trying to sleep on my back (my natural sleeping position is on my right side, where I had my THR) and with getting my leg swelling down, I learned about the Lounge Doctor in this forum. I purchased the inflatable version (with pump incl.) because it's lightweight (I could rest it on top of my walker to move it from one room to another) and also because it's wide enough to safely rest both legs on it and not worry about one of my legs falling off in the night. It was a game-changer!

A leg lifter: I bought the type that has a metal rod inside it to keep the loop open. I hung it on my bedpost to be easily accessible when getting into bed.

A terry-cloth sock aide: There are many sock aides on the market. I recommend the terry-cloth version over the smooth plastic version, because it is better at holding the sock in place as I put my foot in.

A long-handled bathing brush: Great for washing my feet and back. I bought a nice solid wooden one with boar bristles, rather than the type with just a sponge glued onto a plastic handle, so that it would be durable.

Kabooti angled seat cushion: I used it when sitting in our car and in any seat that might be a bit low and risk breaking the 90° rule. It's very comfortable and has a washable cover and a very useful carry handle.

A 2-wheeled walker: It has been very helpful to ensure that I am walking with balance and confidence, and its visibility has helped to make other people aware of my presence and to be careful around me when out and about. Yesterday I went for a physiotherapy appointment and used my cane rather than my walker for the first time; there were two instances where people walked too close to me because they just didn't notice my cane (even though it's bright blue!), and that had me missing my walker as well as wishing that people would slow down and pay attention to their surroundings. :hissy:
I increased the usefulness of my walker by adding a Rhino Valley walker bag that I found on Amazon. On a tip in one of the product reviews, I attached it to the inside of my walker, rather than to the front of it, to avoid causing the walker to tip over. It's been very helpful to carry a water bottle, my phone, a book, a pen, my portable grabber, my keys. In fact, at my physiotherapy appointment yesterday, I noticed the woman next to me in the gym had the same kind of bag on her walker, and it turns out that she was the woman to whom I had recommended that bag at my previous appointment, who ordered it after our conversation and was now loving it!

Stick Safe: A clever hiking stick/cane holder that I discovered on Etsy. It helps me hook my cane almost anywhere and keeps it from falling to the ground.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery! We're right here with you! :console2:
 
Thanks for sharing your suggestions, Nat. We all have favorite items from our recovery experiences.

Just a reminder that many of the BoneSmart-approved hip recovery items are available through The Recovery Shop.

Insider Club members receive a special discount by entering the purchase code you can find in your user profile. Just click on your name/avatar on the blue tool bar, then select Discounts from the drop down menu.
 
Three days away from my hip replacement. I wish I could say that I am calmer, but I am not. My fear of the unknown is keeping me so very anxious..
I had my final pre-op appointment with the OS yesterday. Unfortunately, it seemed that every question I asked him about restrictions following surgery, he just shrugged off and said to ask the PT people who would work with me the same day as surgery. So I came away from the appointment with no answers to the fears I have about post-op recovery.
All of that nervous babbling to get to the question I'd like to throw out there to those who have been where I am now. I had been under the impression (don't know how I missed this) that my surgery would be via the lateral approach. He said yesterday he uses the posterior approach. My queries to him about the differences in recovery were just answered with, "It is all is the same in the end.". Not the answer I was seeking.
Any words of advice or information here to help allay my now new fears about this surgical approach? I realize there is nothing I can do to change this, but for me, the more I know going in, the better I think I will handle this.
Sorry to ramble ... I am so anxious.
 
I am so sorry, avalon. :console2: I know that feeling. I don't know if you're a praying person, but that's what got me through. I prayed that I was going to trust the process to the best of my ability and continue moving forward and if surgery wasn't meant to be, there'd be such an obvious roadblock that I couldn't avoid the message that the time wasn't right for me.

We often remind people not to stress about the approach used, but trust that the surgeon uses the approach he's best at and most familiar with. My OS used the posterior approach ONLY and I didn't have any post op restrictions, I was only cautioned to move slowly and thoughtfully and STOP and regroup if something hurt. Your surgeon is right, all of the approaches have the same result in the end.

You're going to love your new hip and you're going to realize you did a lot of worrying for nothing. I'm speaking from experience. Try to stay busy over the next few days and before you know it you'll be on the road to recovery. Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll do our best to help. Hugs!

Following is an article on approaches and incisions -> HERE
@avalon54
 
It’ll be ok @avalon54 pre op concerns are totally normal. I’m only going to be a week behind you with my knee so I do really understand. I’m so busy getting things done at the moment that I’m able to have other things to think about. It’ll be the day before I feel it all. On Thursday I start the special shower gel.
The surgeon is the expert, please have trust on your whole team and follow the guidelines.
We are all here to help too, day or night there’s usually someone around.
 
Your surgeon is right, all of the approaches have the same result in the end.
I want to second this comment. Multiple studies have been done and there is no clinical evidence that any of the approaches provide a "better" outcome. The reports from our members support this.

Here are a few facts that may make you feel better about the approach:
  • While some studies say that early recovery is a little faster with anterior, overall recovery is the same. A randomized controlled trial of 400 patients conducted by Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS, which is the leading orthopedic hospital in the world) shows that any difference disappears after the first two weeks. Data from the trial show no differences in gait, return to function or complications of surgery between the two procedures.
  • Posterior is the "original" approach and continues to be the primary approach used for hip replacement. Technically, it provides the surgeon with flexibility to make adjustments if there are any unexpected findings during surgery.
  • The anterior approach presents some technical challenges that require a high degree of skill on the part of the surgeon.
As Layla said, the skill of the surgeon is much more important that the approach or type of implant used. If you have a good surgeon who does lots of these, you should relax and trust his decision.
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, avalon!
You'll be in good hands and the day will move quickly. Just think, tomorrow at this time you'll be in recovery.
I look forward to following your journey once you're up to posting on the Hip Recovery Forum.
I'll leave a link for you -> HERE

Since it's the night before your surgery, if you're up to starting your recovery thread, feel free and we'll leave you our Recovery Guidelines along with best wishes!

See you soon! :thumb:
@avalon54
 
Hi avalon,
I hope you're doing well and pain is well managed. If you're not home yet, wishing you safe travels.
We'd love to support you on the Hip Recovery Forum once you're resting comfortably and have time to start a thread and share an update. (Link in blue in post above)
Hope to hear from you soon! :)
@avalon54
 
I also did not have to adhere to the 90 degree rule. Having said that even if I had, there are so many ways to position your body to pick up things off the floor as well at mobility aids(like grabbers for example), that it would have not been an issue.

If you are suffering this much, chances are you will feel a million times better immediately post surgery. I know it took me 12 yrs to convince my surgery to finally give me a replacement at 37 yrs of age-even with the severe muscular thigh pain I had post surgery(only last a week post surgery), I was still feeling way better than I had for the previous 12 yrs.

I don't know about Texas but I know here in Canada, we have long term care facilities where you can stay for short stay post surgeries like hip replacements. Have you looked into those to see where those might be available in your area?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom