TKR surgery over recovery now

I am 9 weeks since surgery and my knee will buckle several times a day for no reason. That is why I still walk with the walker or cane. Has this happened to others and what did you do about it?
 
This is a very common problem. Basically, your muscles have not fully recovered from surgery. Since your quad and hamstrings are not strong enough to support the knee, the joint has to do the work. Of course, it does not want to do that work and so it lets you know by buckling. This is just a message that your leg is still weak and you need to be kind to the knee and not expect too much from it right now while it is healing. As you begin to use your leg and your muscles toughen up, it will happen less and less.
 
Hi, JMackay, congrats on being on the other side. Ice/cryo cuff was a tremendous help to me.
 
When I was at 9 weeks, my doc was very clear that I should be resting for two hours for every one hour that i was up and about. Now is the time to do that stuff you have not done because you did not have time. I rearranged photos, knitted a ton of hats for charity and watched all of Downton Abbey from day one. Plus I watched pride and Prejudice two times!! Take it easy, you are almost there, but your knee still has to heal.
 
Hi @JMackay -my leg buckled a lot - I called it "the wobble" - it did so well into the third month as my quad was very slow to respond. I took my cane on all walks as I never knew when it would happen. It rarely does it anymore unless my leg is really tired. Seems as though some people have it more than others.
 
Yes, I had this too. Still does it occasionally and I am 4 months out.
 
Let me add myself as well. It will be not quite 5 years but - looks like I'm going to get the right one done now. Different doc (the first one didn't go so great). I hope the best for both of us!
 
I am more than 3 months into the recovery phase and I still have a lot of pain if I stand in one place for more than 5 minutes. Did this happen to anyone else? Any suggestions?
 
I am more than 3 months into the recovery phase and I still have a lot of pain if I stand in one place for more than 5 minutes. Did this happen to anyone else?

Yes - I did. Do you have a leg length discrepancy? You may want to check for that. Also - do you have any nerve damage?
 
I will check into both of your suggestions to see if leg length or nerve damage could be causing the problems.
 
I'm curious - did you only have this issue after the second knee was done? I've only had the left knee replaced and I've had trouble standing since. I am hoping that getting the other knee done will help correct this....
 
Standing for longer periods was one of the last things to become easy for me. I noticed standing became less painful and tiring after my extension became 0 in my left knee. Have you talked with your OS about what might be causing your pain?
 
I am more than 3 months into the recovery phase and I still have a lot of pain if I stand in one place for more than 5 minutes.
Oh yes, standing in place is hard for everyone at your stage. I always choose to walk rather than stand in place. I shop early so the grocery lines are short!
 
Thank you to everyone. I don't remember having as much pain standing at this point in my recovery with my first TKR. I try to walk as much as possible because it doesn't hurt when I keep moving.
 
Do you find that it's a balancing issue? Is the new knee stable? Mine feels a bit wobbly - like someone who is missing an ACL ( I guess I am huh? ) :-)
Is the leg with the new knee straight when you stand - or more bent? Mine is often bent - I guess due to LLD.
 
I feel like the new knee is stable. I am keeping my knee too straight and that is why I have pain when standing. I am trying to bend my knee more when standing in place.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom