Guest viewing is limited

THR surgery is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go @Chrisadeline. Your first outing. The aches and pains get better as time goes on. Keep icing and taking your pain meds. I can't believe you are walking with just a cane at Day 6. Amazing. Keep up the great work.
 
@Chrisadeline please don't be afraid to take your pain meds. You need them to get more mobile. Sounds like you are making great progress. Long may it continue!
 
Day 18 - my daughter came to my house and cooked Thanksgiving dinner! So thankful for her and everyone who has helped me since my surgery. My leg is still sore but the swelling around the incision is starting to go down, and I'm walking around the house without the cane for the most part. Went to the dr. on Thursday, and he said I can drive, swim, get up and down from the floor, do anything I feel able to. He also said I can put moist heat on my leg now. My knee has been aching a lot, and that is really helpful. I am going to take it easy and not do too much, but it's good knowing I have no restrictions. I'm really glad I found Bonesmart and love all the replies and helpful advice.
Chrisadeline
RTHR Nov. 11, 2014, Anterior approach
 
Great progress @Chrisadeline. So glad you got cleared of your restrictions.....if your knee is hurting you may still need that cane!!
Keep up the good work! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, it's been 4 weeks, and I could use some advice. I'm having a lot of pain in my hip and my knee. (same side as hip replacement). I was concerned and went back to the dr. who took xrays again, and said the implant looks fine. She said it must be muscles . I am in as much pain now as I was before the surgery. :( Is this a common thing? I felt less pain in the first two weeks than these last two.
 
Hi, yes I had my THR surgery 11 weeks ago. I too am still have lots of pain in my muscles and severe tightness in my groin area as well. My advice to you is that everybody is different. Give it time and do your stretching exercises. I just hope someone can give me some advice for my condition. Thank you!
 
I was the same also in retrospect I think at that time I started to push myself which agrivated soft tissue. As scot said stretches but not if it hurt. I saw big improvement in soft tissue. Just takes time its like being at start of grand prix but you have a flat tyre. With me I.had a cart

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@chrisdalene I had knee and leg pain after surgery. 4 weeks was when the knee flared up. I started to cut back on pain meds. When I saw my doctor he advised that the pain meds are to help. I am not sure if you are still taking your pain meds. Everyone is different. At 4 weeks I was taking them every 8 hours. The other thing that helped was ICE. So simple. Ice the entire upper leg and the knee. I am 9 weeks out and still have the muscle soreness. It has gotten better. I have good days and bad days based on activity. I still ICE and I take prescribed pain med at night only except for the Tylenol in the day as needed. If you saw the surgery and how the manipulate the muscles and the hammering to put new hip in, you would understand why you are sore.

Ice rest (you may be doing too much) elevate. This was a major surgery. Take time to heal. Recovery is a marathon.
 
Hi @Chrisadeline (and @scottfamilyman too for that matter :)) I have had some of the issues that you guys are having; I felt I was the only one that was still having such discomfort weeks out, with EVERYONE "overtaking" me in the recovery stakes; firstly it's just not the case... lots of people have (mainly muscular) niggles, the ones that don't are just so happy to share their new found pain free status - and why wouldn't they be? it's what we're all after! - that it makes the rest of us feel that our recovery is somewhat retarded.

Secondly, it gets better! I still have pain/discomfort in my groin, it's better this week than last week, but like @Chrisadeline I was "in as much pain as before surgery" and certainly worse than I was at two weeks a few weeks ago (at about 6 to 8 weeks) When I look at it, I had reduced my meds, increased my activity level and frankly the euphoria of actually getting through the worst bit had worn off... not that surprising that I either was in more pain or at least FELT like I was.

My OS explained to me at my 2 week check when I complained of the groin pain especially when laying on my back (due to restrictions, the only way I CAN lay) ... he said I had been holding my leg flexed for a long time (the OA has been treated for the last ten years!) and it had caused the tendons and some musculature to "shorten", stretching would help but it wouldn't happen overnight... if it didn't help then he would consider surgery to release the tendon but not until 12 months - I trust him implicitly so took from this that in the vast majority of cases it DOES resolve itself in that time.

I have to say that it has been uncomfortable at times, in the groin, (quads and IT band - for which I had acupuncture... with great success!) and most recently my hamstrings. BUT in the last week or so there has been a HUGE improvement; I am doing stretches... not huge extensive stretching, just gentle (so you can feel it, not so it hurts) stretching. My Physio gave me some pointers on my gait, which I have had to adjust, and they aggravated it at first but now I'm walking more freely and "naturally" the aches are definitely diminishing.

Ice helps for sure... but I have found that heat helps sometimes too! "Suck it and see" which works for you. I do find that "pushing through it" doesn't work; sometimes you've just got to rest those muscles. I get frustrated as (obviously) I had the op for the same reason as everyone else here... to improve on my pre op pain and mobility levels, and until this last week it didn't feel like I'd achieved anything at all like I was expecting; YES there was no bone on bone pain, but the pain I had was more constant so added up to feeling the same... now I can honestly say I can see some light at the end of the tunnel - I went down a flight of stairs yesterday on alternate feet and didn't have so much as a twinge in that area, hooray and at last!!

Don't be afraid to medicate, even paracetemol can take the edge off the pain, meaning you can actually "DO" the stretches... improving the chance of the stretching actually working. I am doing my stretches and step up type exercises (I haven't done much 'formal' PT, it wasn't prescribed, wasn't deemed necessary and I've heard mixed results with overdoing it being an easy trap) in the pool when I can... I find the reduced weight bearing really helps get the movement into the stretch - maybe that's something else to think about.

I wish you well with it, that relentless pain/discomfort is very draining and seems to come at a time when all your resources are diminished. You WILL get better, sadly that terrible ingredient is required once again... PATIENCE.

Donna:wave:
 
Perfectly put @craftdee I think we tend to play down in our minds just how big this surgery is. Gooood grief if Wayne Rooney had half the.level of surgery it would be.front and back page news

Legin THR Sep 14
 
We'll done @Chrisadeline - that was nice that you got to go out for a social event, it helps prevent the cabin fevers we sometimes struggle with :)
 
Hi, alright I just have to suck it up. Your right, only been 11 weeks now. I think women can take pain better than men. Hmmm! I'll start using heat packs now. Hopefully this will work. Thanks for the great advice, Scott
 
8 1/2 weeks now, and I'm starting to feel "normal" again - I'm still having physical therapy, and I think it's helping. I still have a lot of pain when I stand up and start to walk, but once I get going the pain mostly goes away. I'm not using any walking aids and I feel steady on my feet. I'm going to start walking in the mall because it's so cold outside, I don't like to go out. I appreciate Bonesmart and everyone's comments, it's really helpful.
 
Hi @Chrisadeline. I just thought I'd offer you some solidarity as I'm feeling very much like you. Everything seemed 'all systems go' for me and I was having a great recovery. Then the pain in my hip (apparently the iliopsoas tendon) seemed to increase (or maybe just not decrease!) and right now its starting to get me down. That initial pain when I stand up and when I try to do anything that involves 'waggling my leg around' is just frustrating. @craftdee has it absolutely right (and she's helped keep me out of the looney bin these last couple of weeks), it starts to weigh in on all of your hopes and dreams of being pain-free. I went back to work last week and only managed a day and a half before I took the rest of the week off...I was exhausted! And now its Monday again so we'll see how this weeks goes!

Once I'm up and going I can walk really well, so I keep focusing on how much of an improvement this, at least, is and just hope that the rest is slowly going to drop into place. I've written myself a little daily 'workout' plan today. Going to start slowly on the spin bike:upright: (small amounts of low resistance cycling are meant to be beneficial), start back to doing some core work, cover off the stretches/exercises that my physio has given me to get my posterior chain firing again and then a little upper body stuff, just so I can 'feel' like I'm exercising again! I think I've been getting too negatively focused and I need to do something to get the endorphins flowing :yes:

I hope your return to 'normality' progresses steadily - you're certainly not alone
 
So glad you are starting to feel 'normal' again @Chrisadeline

That 'start up' pain takes some months to go away but eventually it does! Not using any walking aids must be great...so pleased all I going well...keep us updated....! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom