THR Surgeon in SF Bay Area needed

Hi Leejaa,

I am planning a slow and steady recovery for this second hip because, as you said, I don't want anything to go wrong this time, and I realize how fortunate I was the first time Given all of that ... since you asked, and it might be helpful and encouraging for others, in that I had a really quite rapid and very complete recovery. But -- full recovery took a YEAR, in terms of regaining all activities and fitness.

My left hip story, will continue in subsequent posts as I get time:

First hip, April 2014, age 54. Replacement, I thought, due to gym injury; I think I tore my labrum in fall 2012. No health insurance, so no doctor visits until it was really bad, bought insurance on the individual market in January 2014. Previous injuries just healed up on their own, ice, rest, etc. I was horrified when I got my x-rays, gave them to one of my physician friends, she sits me down and tells me that I am going to need a replacement, and that I'd better be careful because the head of my femur was completely remodeled. I need a WHAT?? I figured, beforehand, that I just needed it scoped.

Swam 2K meters almost every day at my outdoor gym pool up until the day before surgery. Also in the weight room, doing upper body, abs, lots of pullups. Pullups feel great; no weight on the legs, creates some space in the joint. And as much yoga as I could do, which required modification over time.

Our mountaintop house in Colorado was three stories, with an additional 45 steps to the front door. Before my surgery, I was going up the steps with what we called the spiderman crawl, pretty fast but all fours. Down was easier, but slower.

I talked about how I found my first surgeon earlier in this thread, so am skipping that part.

They kept me in the hospital in Denver two nights, mostly so that we all felt I was competent and comfortable to tackle all those steps when I got home. I asked for ice in the recovery room, and kept my hip iced down the entire time I was there, and for weeks and weeks afterwards, whenever I was in bed, in the car, etc. Pain was well controlled with Tylenol and Tramadol, which I took on an every six hour schedule for a long time, reducing the dosage over time then eliminating the Tramadol. No walker, crutches, which were and are my friend.

OK, all for right now :-).
 
Thank you for sharing. I am sure it will be helpful to many others. Have a good day.
 
I've been reluctant to post how fast I recovered last time here, because well I did a lot of things that could have, but luckily didn't, result in setbacks and membership in the ODIC.

Well, you naughty lil girl coming clean here finally :heehee: Just kidding you a bit.
In all seriousness we don’t know what each recovery may be like but thankfully your first one went well and so could this one. The odds are in your favor it will, especially because you’re going to behave yourself this time. We‘ll hold you to that :wink:
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Milestones from my first, left, hip -- I expect the right to be both easier and harder. Easier, because this house has no steps. Harder, because I have not been able to exercise for the last couplea months with the virus situation, since the only thing I could really do is swim; both the pools and the gym are of course closed.

So, in April 2014, my surgery was on a Wednesday. When I first stood up in the hospital, it was amazing, the pain was just gone. I came home on Friday, went up all the stairs, and stayed upstairs until Monday. Bedroom, bathroom, coffee/tea pot and supplies all at hand. Hubby brought me an endless supply of ice. I got up every couple hours and did a tour round and round the room on the crutches. First real stretch, my hamstrings, full forward fold, I know that was probably not recommended but no restrictions, and I still remember how good that felt. I tried to, as much as possible, either lay completely flat, or with my upper body flat and pillows under my legs, or sit in bed with my legs straight out in front of me. I wanted my quads/psoas/hip flexors/etc. to be in an extended position for healing as much as possible. Didn't eat much, Hubby brought me some eggs, and some chicken and broccoli, which I picked at. I drink whey protein with psyllium fiber in it, and I certainly tried to keep up on the protein and water. Bananas are my comfort food, so ate those. I slept *a lot*.

I had horrible constipation, which I will try to avoid this time by .... eating not much the day before, and use of senna tea afterwards. We shall see how that works. It was by far the most uncomfortable part of that first weekend. I don't think I pooped until Monday.

Monday, went downstairs, made oatmeal, and finally got all the way downstairs to my office, email, blah blah. Watched a little TV, then back to bed.

Tuesday, dressed, went to town, walked for about 45 min to an hour, in a hilly but paved neighborhood just below us. Seemed safer than walking near our house, with our uneven, steep driveway and dirt road. Then back up the steps to bed. Repeated that daily for the next week or so. Got my staples out at 10 days, so weird, first time I saw my incision which had been covered in a special waterproof silver-impregnated dressing. Then went back to the gym, 2 weeks out.

Ok, so in retrospect, this was a lot of early activity. I had some bruising, which really should have told me that it was too much.

At the gym (every other day, interspersed with walking on the non-gym days) -- walk on indoor track, bench situps, Graviton pullups, about an hour or so, depending on the length of Hubby's weight workout. But ... I was still taking pain meds, and still sleeping A LOT. And almost constant ice. This was pretty much the next two weeks. During this time I quit taking prescription pain meds but was still taking the occasional Tylenol and some ibuprofen. Initially I was still not sitting comfortably at my desk for more than say an hour at a time; I was able to sit longer as time went on.

Next milestone, trade show in metro Los Angeles, right about the 6 week mark. 2 day drive, pretty much the first time I'd done any extended driving. All of that went better than expected, my energy levels were good and really not much pain.

Back from L.A., xrays look good, incision sealed up, back in the pool. That pool had a kiddie area with steps so that I could walk in and -- more importantly -- out easily. Not sure what I will do this time about that; my current pool does not have that kind of entry and those ladders are really not easy on the hips, probably better to just climb out. So that's June 2014, weeks 7-10.

First of July, back to yoga class, carefully. Lots and lots of sun salutations. And a little time on the bike. Cycling was the last thing to really feel comfortable; my quad had a lot of healing to do, and the seat felt just weird.

Anything that felt weird or wonky, I skipped, modified or postponed. I didn't do any real bike riding until the following spring.

My first surgeon did not recommend any PT, so sometime in August I got a trainer, and started back in the weight room with some seriousness and a lot of focus. It wasn't until the next spring that I felt completely recovered. So for me, even with what I consider to be a GREAT recovery story, it took a year.
 
So ... a few things that I did for a long time, that I think contributed to my success on the Left:

Ice, ice, ice -- even at night, at the show (6 weeks) and in the car for that long trip.

Crutches, for gait training -- making sure my posture was perfect, abs in, shoulders back, perfect perfect steps -- at least 4 weeks, maybe six and using both of them when they were not really needed for support. So when I was at the gym two weeks out -- I was going round that indoor track with the crutches, practicing. Then ...

Hiking poles, two of them, to remind my body of that perfect posture. I love these things and was still walking with them 2+ years out when we moved here. Prior, they were really helpful in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, where I did a lot of hiking in steep terrain during Year Two.

Stretching, yoga and mobility work before and when it felt right afterwards.

And ... because of BoneSmart advice ... meds on the clock for the first 3 months.
 
Tuesday, dressed, went to town, walked for about 45 min to an hour, in a hilly but paved neighborhood just below us

Wow! That was pretty ambitious and amazing for only six days post op.

I expect the right to be both easier and harder. Easier, because this house has no steps. Harder, because I have not been able to exercise for the last couplea months with the virus situation, since the only thing I could really do is swim; both the pools and the gym are of course closed.

Maybe not “harder”. Even with the inability to exercise as you would like to, it sounds like you’re in pretty good shape. I’m betting you’ll do well. :yes:

Only one week to go now! Fingers crossed all stays on schedule. :fingersx:
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
 
Thanks @Layla for your reassuring words.

When I think back to how the left went: I was (and am) fairly fit, I'm in touch with how my body feels ... everything came out OK but ... now I am a little horrified because I know how easily I might have had a much more difficult time from doing too much too soon. All these guidelines exist for a reason.

So this time, even though it should be straightforward, and I do know kindof what to expect -- I am still worried about every little thing. And because of some other life events, this one is in worse shape than the left, I think.

It looks like we are still on schedule for Tuesday ... I am so ready to start on the recovery side.
 
Hello and Happy Friday!
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind over the next few days. I hope you’re able to do something fun over this holiday weekend to serve as a distraction as you wait for Tuesday.
You’re almost there! :happydance:
Hugs
@cstinchcomb
 
Hi CST, thank you for your post about gait training using crutches for many weeks post op. That is very sound advice. Learning to walk properly is so important. I may invest in some poles for later on as well.

I'm happy to know you will be meeting your new hip in 4 days! I am sending support your way.
Warmly
Carita
 
Thanks, @Carita . I am so ready. The crutches, then the two poles, were really helpful the first time; hope they help you. We build up bad habits and it takes some time to break them. One of my past trainers told me it took 1000 - 1500 reps to create a proper pattern. We were discussing weight training form but I think this is true of proper form and alignment more generally.

I hope you are starting to feel better. In the long run, this is so so early in your recovery.

I've had my Covid test (ouch, but surely necessary). My surgery is the first of the day on Tuesday (7:30am) which means I need to get there at 5am!!! It's only about 20 min away with no traffic, but I am not a morning person, so I am viewing Monday night as really a nap rather than a night's sleep since I will probably get up around 2 so that I can drink before I go. :zzz::mcoffee:
 
I was packing my little bag for the hospital today and I remembered something else that I used for a long time with the left: compression stockings. I wore them consistently for at least the first several weeks. It's still pretty cold in Colorado in April so they were quite comfortable.

After my incision was healed I used scar strips. They made me feel more secure under clothing, and hid my scar when I was in the locker room at the gym. I have no idea if the helped me have a better scar sooner; 6 years later it's a fine line.
 
Cst... thinking of you as you prepare for your new hip. I hope tomorrow nights sleep is sound.
I agree, the covid test was uncomfortable...how long was that swab anyway!!??
Enjoy your Monday. Get some healing sun and move the best you can.

With support,
Carita
 
I’m sure that swab is at least 3 feet long! :heehee: Haven’t had it done since my staph swab pre-op. That’s what it felt like. Anyway. Sending positive thoughts and energy your way for a smooth and uneventful surgery with good post op pain control. You’ll definitely get a good nap while you get that shiny, new hip. :)Looking forward to catching your post op thread when you’re up to it. ❤️ Pat
 
Best wishes for your surgery, great pain control and a great recovery. See you soon on the sunny (recovery) side.
 
Good evening @cstinchcomb I hope you’re ready and relaxing on this holiday.
Will be thinking of you tomorrow and watching for you on the bright side. :SUNsmile:
Hugs and best wishes!
 
@cstinchcomb wishing you a restful night tonight, a smooth surgery tomorrow and good pain management right from the start. Look forward to seeing you on the healing side when you're up for it.
 
Wow, thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I think all of you know exactly how much it means. I am so ready for this pain that just gets worse to be replaced by pain that lessens!

Just, of course, tieing up a few loose ends here. Had my first preop shower with special soap. Got my little bag mostly packed up, just need to add my phone and my Kindle tomorrow.

That 2am alarm will be ... just after I fall asleep, but I think I'll feel a lot better with coffee (permitted, always black anyway) and hydration. Just like getting up for an international flight :)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom