Guest viewing is limited

TKR Suggestions needed for “tight band” feeling

@bs27: Thanks for your post! It’s so nice to hear from a “neighbor.” I’m very glad to read that you are doing better (swelling down, bending better, etc). My care at ROC (and my OS, Dr. W) continues to be good. Wishing YOU continued progress and healing!
 
@kneeper: I’m going to stay out of the pool for a while and let things calm down (and let me rest). It’s so peaceful and I enjoy it so much…but I need to think long term!
 
Ok so even the hubster thinks I’m being alarmist. Points taken all the way around. Rest and icing and being CALM is my new mantra. Pinkie promise.
Ps this is HARD :gaah:
 
May I ask, why did the surgeon change your spacer? Did he put in a different size?
 
@Ghostpipe: I will ask “why” tomorrow at my appointment w/the PA. I went from an 11mm spacer to a 10 mm…just a 1 mm decrease, very minimal…I’m assuming he thought it was a better size for my knee. But I will let you know for sure what he says…
 
A smaller size spacer will make the knee a little looser. If it's too loose with the original, then a larger spacer will help to tighter it up.
 
Amazing that 1mm can make a difference. Makes one realise how precise the surgery must be, how skilled the surgeons are.
 
@Ghostpipe: At my appointment today the PA said that they use are 10, 12, and 14 mm spacers. (I had an 11 mm in there beforehand). They thought I’d do better with a smaller size and even “tested” it during surgery. In all honesty, and I’m STILL healing, I have not noticed ANY difference.
 
At my appointment today the PA suggested I start using Voltarin gel for my scar, its itchiness and to alleviate the “achiness” I feel in my knee. He also put me on Celebrex…thinks there is inflammation in there, based on what I described. I’m to be on it once a day for a week, then every other day for a week (I can take it on the “off” day if I need it.) We’ll see if it helps!

Said my knee looks good and to continue PT (I’m scheduled for another month at least). He reiterated that it’s a 4-6 month healing process at a minimum.

We talked about water walking. He supports it PROVIDED that it feels good not only when doing it but also the day after!
 
Thank you for shedding the light on the spacer.
Your patience must be tested to the limit after all this time, mine sure is after “only” 15 months.
Take it easy in the pool!
 
We talked about water walking. He supports it PROVIDED that it feels good not only when doing it but also the day after!
That sounds familiar, doesn't it? Anything that causes pain and swelling is causing a setback.
 
Still resting/icing/elevating and still (mostly!) staying calm. I DO feel a small “wad” of what I hope is inflammation and not scar tissue at the base (and in the middle) of the bottom of my kneecap.

Question today is exercise. I’m really putting on weight. Besides limiting calories (1,300/day) is there any safe-for-my-knee exercise? I’m up to 10 mins on the bike. I suspect you’ll say just to be patient and wait til you CAN exercise, but thought I’d check!

As always, THANKS!!
 
At PT yesterday, he suggested 20 mins of water walking to start out. (Unlike my 40 mins before, followed by 5 mins on the bike, which left me in pain the next day.) Will try that and see how I feel.

Additionally, he speculated that I had been sitting too long (2 hours) when we went out for brunch…and that inactivity was contributing to my pain. So I’m being more intentional and periodically getting up, moving around, etc. Today I’m feeling SO much better!
 
Last edited:
I had a hive reaction from what my doctors think was Celebrex and Voltarin. All cleared up now (9 days).

Anyone experience this? And is there an alternate anti-inflammatory drug that I might try?
 
Last edited:
I had better results taking Mobic (generic is meloxicam) than I did with Celebrex although Celebrex is supposed to be easier on the body. I'll use Voltaren gel, too, but it only seems to improve my arthritic thumb - doesn't touch my big joints like stiff knee & arthritic elbows. I've had bad reactions to so many meds but not to any of those 3. I did try diclofenac sodium in tablet form (same ingredient that's in Voltaren) for about 3 weeks but reacted badly to that one.
 
Been a long time since I last posted! Just wanted to give an update. Finished 5 mos of PT in October with a respectable 115/2. STILL have tightness but it is slightly less noticeable, so that’s a positive!

On a recent vacation, I walked (if those step counters are accurate!) 15,000 steps!!!! in one day and my knee did just fine (with periodic rests); in fact, my back was a lot more sore than my knee:heehee:

I can still feel what I figure is scar tissue in there. I’ve talked to my OS about it…he said he could do arthroscopic “clean up” but after a meniscus, TKR and a revision in the past 5 years, I’m not anxious to do that. I’d be interested in what an advisor says. It took me 2.5 years to heal/get the courage to get my revision….I don’t expect I will do anything any time soon. My doctor takes a very conservative approach, which I appreciate, and said not to do anything til at least the one-year anniversary (April). I think there’s a high likelihood I will just create scar tissue again and maybe I should stop while I’m (sort of!) ahead.

I’d love to hear if anyone has a similar experience with scar tissue and what you did.

In the meantime, wishing everyone in Bonesmart AND especially all the advisors a wonderful and healthy New Year! It’s been a long journey and I absolutely could NOT have done it without you :thankyou:
 
My doctor takes a very conservative approach, which I appreciate, and said not to do anything til at least the one-year anniversary (April)
I really like your doctor's approach. He sounds like a keeper. You still have 4 more months until then and
things could improve quite a bit in the next 6 months or more. Your knee is still in the healing stage for at least a year. For some, it's longer than that. I think you should wait a while before even considering more surgery. More than likely, you will see lots of improvement.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom