TKR Sudden pain and swelling

Sudden pain and swelling 6+ months after TKR.
Difficult walking and nearly impossible to get on and off the toilet. Was doing excellent prior to today. Some clicking noticed earlier today.
Very worrisome. Has this happened to anyone else on this site months after TKR?
you are still healing at 6 months. Maybe you have overdid it the day before or that day. Believe me you will have swelling, pains,aches and especially the clicking sound for months. My first TKR at 16 months ago still clicks at times but it doesn't hurt. OS said nothing to worry about unless there is extreme pain when you move. Some days I still have an ache in the shin area but it is normal. 2nd surgery on other knee TKR was 4-24-24 and I am at 6 wks and doing good that when I saw my OS yesterday, he released me. Doesn't want to see me anymore unless I have concerns or extreme pain. I know pain and aches are so different.... You will be fine... God Bless
 
It’s
Finally saw a wonderful orthopedic surgeon this morning. He decided to drain the knee. Once he started he said it’s filled with blood. Said this happens once in a while especially when on blood thinners, which I am. He’s sending a sample to the lab. Has me returning on June 25th. He said if it continues, the treatment is to cauterize itt. But confirmed the implant looks fine.?
it’s a rare condition called Hemarthrosis. Bleeding into the joint.
 
Hopefully it doesn't continue and you get good news back from the lab. Please keep us posted and enjoy the weekend, Cargo.
@Cargo231
 
I was 68 when I had my left TKR done in November 2017 and there was pain which did go. Towards the end of 2023 my knee started hurting and the pain was bearable. I'll probably get a call to have a checkup at some stage.
 
Update. 2nd Orthopedic appointment. Continue to find blood leaking into the knee joint. Today the doc took another sample to send out to a special testing lab. The initial bloodwork showed high level of white blood cells. So doc wants to make absolutely sure there is no infection before doing anything else. God! I’ve read about the approach to infection and see that it often requires another surgery. Fingers crossed it is not infected. Doctor scheduled to call me next Wednesday for results.
 
Thanks for the update! Fingers crossed for you. :fingersx:
Wishing you the best and hopefully no additional surgery. Please keep us posted. We’re here for you!
@Cargo231
 
Oh, hoping for the best!!!! We're here for you no matter what.
 
Update: spent 5 hours in the ER yesterday after being transferred by rescue because I could not walk at all due to incredible pain . Never utilized a rescue in all my years. Kind of felt foolish, but I could not put ANY weight on my leg.
X-Ray showed the implant is fine. Which is a huge relief! However there’s this incredible swelling, which they don’t believe is due to infection. Was fitted with a stability brace and a walker.
The good news is I have a referral to see an orthopedic doctor!!! I have to call tomorrow an make the appointment! Finally a little progress.
I also went to the ER with these exact symptoms and they reprimanded for coming to the ER when it wasn't an emergency! However, they did do blood work to be sure I didn't have an infection and they also did an Ultrasound because right after my TKR, I developed a deep vein thrombosis. No clot or infection was found. I had just had an X-ray so they didn't need to do that. At the time, I was 7 months post op. My surgery was in September. I too started having the symptoms you describe at 7 months post-op. I'm still dealing with this. I wish I could do that visit to the ER again because I would have some words for them. One good thing that came out of it was that my surgeon, who had not taken me seriously until I went to the ER, finally did. To be honest, it was one of the reasons I went. It was a cry for help because no one was listening.
 
Update. 2nd Orthopedic appointment. Continue to find blood leaking into the knee joint. Today the doc took another sample to send out to a special testing lab. The initial bloodwork showed high level of white blood cells. So doc wants to make absolutely sure there is no infection before doing anything else. God! I’ve read about the approach to infection and see that it often requires another surgery. Fingers crossed it is not infected. Doctor scheduled to call me next Wednesday for results.
just saw and read your thread. Hoping your results were okay and things are taking a turn for the better by now.
 
Back
Top Bottom