TKR Struggling through recovery<

This probably doesn't help but I remember thinking about 2-3 months in that I was never, ever going to sleep again. While restless legs isn't a problem, I developed peripheral neuropathy (numbness) in 1/2 of my leg (from knee to ankle) about 6 months before surgery and have never recovered the feeling in it. It felt like ants carrying torches were running up and down the nerves just under the skin and it was much worse at night...but eventually it went away and sleep finally returned. Perhaps you should try cut back on pt; it sounds like a bit much and not particularly necessary since your ROM is so good. Maybe it's just too much exercise and if it (cutting back) doesn't affect the restless legs, you can always go back to it.
 
Last edited:
@MaryMC yes I take magnesium in the morning and at night.
@Laurenkate, @Josephine I have cut back on PT lately (mainly because I’ve been feeling so bad) and don’t think I will sign up for PT in June. I think I can do enough on my own.
By the way, I started taking iron supplements yesterday and also took a Gabapentin before bed...and slept 7 hours!! No restless legs!! I felt so much better today. I’m going to continue the iron and Gaba (just 1 at bedtime).
 
I think I can do enough on my own.
I have a better idea - don't even do them on your own! I never did even one heel slide for either of my TKRs.
I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)
By the way, I started taking iron supplements yesterday and also took a Gabapentin before bed...and slept 7 hours!! No restless legs!!
Hey, jolly good!
 
I'm at 10 weeks post surgery now, and am wondering if others still have pain when walking. Also, I've developed a "catch" behind my knee. Doctor says it's a tendon. It pops when I walk or bend the knee and it hurts. He says if it doesn't get better he'll give me a cortisone shot. Anyone else experience this?
 
Unfortunately, as you start to do more things, then you will start to hurt in different places. I would hold off on the cortisone shot as long as possible. You don't want to take a chance of an infection coming from the shot. Have you tried the ice on the back of your knee? With pain there, you are probably inflamed. Ice and elevation should help there.
 
Lots of us still had pain of varying degrees 10 weeks post op.
 
At 10 weeks you aren't even 1/4 of the way of this year long healing. This journey takes lots of patience, and that's not easy! I know, we all know, cause we've been there!
 
Yes, it's normal to still have some pain.

Try and avoid having the cortisone injection, if you can..
 
I will be 8 months the end of this week. Still have aches.
 
Last edited:
I've developed a "catch" behind my knee. Doctor says it's a tendon. It pops when I walk or bend the knee and it hurts. He says if it doesn't get better he'll give me a cortisone shot.
Have you stopped - completely stopped - all the PT and exercises? Really, truly? Because that would be the only reason you have developed a pain behind your knee.

I'm a great fan Of cortisone injections. Go for it.
 
Hi there. I am 12 weeks into recovery from revision surgery on my left knee. I think everyone still feels the way you do at this stage but it gets better around the 10 week period. I did a 7 mile walk last week which was week 11 and was fine. No stick and no meds anymore. I had no swelling afterwards and no pain although I did feel tired as it was my first long walk since the operation. Just do what you can and as they say in the forum if it hurts then don't do it. I have only done heel slides as and when my knee allowed it and never tried to push it and have a great ROM. It just comes the more you do as you get better and you will. You are at the stage where life seems difficult and you can see no end to it. It will soon improve so hold out. When they say it take a year to fully recover they only mean things you don't notice everyday. You will be able to lead a normal life well before this but little changes will happen which will make life better but you won't notice them at the time. By 3 months you won't know yourself - really. Try and keep happy and know that one day it will be in the past.
 
Lizziescam. I am from Ayrshire and have had hip and knee surgery. We were given exercises to do from day one. Each exercise is to be done 3 x set of 10 repetitions and to do them at least 2 if not 3 times a day. I did this for 7 weeks. Am now only doing step ups, bike riding and a few quad exercises. Had 4 sessions in the physio gym at our local hospital but was doing exercises at home until around week 10. Now just walking, bike riding and doing normal things.
 
There are lots of different protocols for exercise and there is no one way.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.
 
I'm at 10 weeks post surgery now, and am wondering if others still have pain when walking. Also, I've developed a "catch" behind my knee. Doctor says it's a tendon. It pops when I walk or bend the knee and it hurts. He says if it doesn't get better he'll give me a cortisone shot. Anyone else experience this?
Are you icing the back of your knee? I had not a catch exactly but sort of a catchy feeling while the knee was healing. I iced the back of my knee and made sure I didn't overdo and it gradually went away.
 
I had this problem too about 5 weeks after the operation. I noticed it particularly when I tried to walk down stairs properly. When I came out of the bend to straighten the leg I would feel it in the back of my knee. I have persevered with using the stairs normally and this has nearly gone now. I used to have to use a both hand rails on the steps but now don't need to and I am at week 12. Everyone is different though. With my first replacement knee I took a lot longer to recover but this one has been brilliant. Just go with the flow and things will be ok eventually if you persevere.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom