TKR Struggling through recovery<

Hi, Pam. I’m at about the same time out of surgery as you. I stopped PT because I felt worse after, I do exercises at home and I’m at 95 bend and +2 extension. About sleep, I’ve been struggling since surgery. I finally got a prescription for Belsomra which I take only in the weekends and it makes a huge difference.
 
Hang on in there, it gets better - for me and some others it seems that 12 weeks was the time when I thought less about my knee and more about just getting on with life. I'm at 16 weeks now, and things are so different to where I was 8 weeks ago. Stay positive, rest, recuperate, don't overdo it, and try not to worry - hard I know, but I've been there too and have the T-Shirt to prove it - things really do improve. All the best, Rob
 
I forgot to mention that I tried Tylenol PM. It did help me to get back into my regular sleep rhythm.
 
Oh geez. I feel just like you!! Doc took my off pain killers at 3 weeks. I have PT 3x week, and today, I feel like my leg is made of lead, it's so heavy!!! I am working on getting my leg extension to 0, and frustrated that I can't get it straight yet, but my flexion is really good!! My doc says I'm doing really well, and I feel like my life is over. I sleep (this is due to some medication I have been on for 2 years), I keep my leg up, I keep icing, and that's pretty much ALL I have done since the surgery!! I want to do more. It seems it is taking forever
 
It seems it is taking forever
You won’t be 4 weeks post op until Monday. 4 weeks out of an average of a 52 week (one year) recovery. You have a ways to go. Relax, don’t work too hard, it will happen.
 
Hi Dear Person.
I want to try and give you some encouragement. From reading what you have written makes me remember how I felt and it was very much like you. So I kept reaching out to others on this sight for hope, I got it, and I wanted to hear the success and compare it to where I was because I was soooo depressed and I needed constantly to convince myself that I was doing OK because no matter what I was told I felt I was not doing well. That's in my makeup to feel like that.
You are doing very good. All people are different. You still have affects from the anesthetic and the pain medication and to sensitive people that can cause that extra bump To add to the depression. It takes months for that stuff to get out of your system. So that is very real and for some it can be overwhelming. It will fade in a few months so realize that.
You go to PT and that can really suck the air out of you and make room for more depression. They bend your
knee and cause you pain, they measure you, they can say things , sometimes without meaning to, that may make you feel that your in a race and are loosing. Then you go home and it hurts more. They will constantly push you , their mantra is " No pain, No gain", they might not even know that but that's the underlying philosophy. It dose not work well with knee replacements.
Your also in a medical place with all the weird machines, water things. stretching stuff, steaming, ice, ropes, beds , wet towels, ( I felt they could waterboard me at anytime), and a bunch of other people who have injuries. It is a place that you are not used to out of your normal life. Some people have coffee and chat and seem to love it but to others there is a lot of bad energy there that can affect you without you really being aware that it is doing it.
Sleep was so hard for me, I wanted more of it because I wasn't depressed or felt any pain while I was asleep.
Sleep is healing. Perhaps it might be wise to get some meds to really help you sleep. Pain medication, if your hurting still ask the Dr. for more pain meds , if it really hurts then you have to make it clear you are suffering,
Don't forget that taking and not taking them after you have can feed that depression.
Drink a lot of water, and eat health and lite. Some foods can add to depression.

You are doing very well , so when those feeling come up just realize that they are not real and let them pass ,
Your right on track, you might have had a very high and unreal expectations of where you should be but those are unreal and you must not compare where you are to where you think you should be.
So you just flow with it , try and let go. This will pass and you are going to have a unbelievable strong knee
With no pain, you will not be limited as you were before. Then when you check this web site you can encourage
Someone whom is going thru what you have. So don't be troubled about it. If you're like me maybe you can find other stuff to make you feel bad.
Sincerely and Best wishes, and congratulation on making so much progress
Steve
 
@pamwmsn I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I was in pain until about 15 weeks. One day I realized the swelling and pain were pretty much gone. I quit physical therapy after the 2nd week. I’ve just done ADL(Activities of daily living). It’s really hard to deal with sometimes but I promise it gets better.
 
Any ideas about sensitivity and restless legs severely affecting sleep? I've been reading about iron deficiency possibly causing this. I've never been iron deficient before but haven't had bloodwork done since my surgery. Would it hurt to start iron tablets to see if it helps? I desperately need sleep and don't go back to my orthopaedic surgeon for 1½ weeks. Also I'm constantly exhausted which could be related to iron...or maybe it's all about the surgery.
 
Exhaustion, lack of sleeping, etc. It’s all mostly related to this major surgery you just had.

I was never low on iron but my surgeon had me start taking it 6 weeks before surgery and for several weeks after. I suspect he does that for all his surgical patients. I didn’t like how it made me feel, I think I was constipated from the very first one, if that’s possible. I couldn’t wait to stop it!
 
One of the things I’ve learned in life, if you want this, you have to give up that.

The other one is, we can’t have everything.

They sound negative, but really, once I grasped those concepts, it helped me a lot!
 
Even though I'd read it takes a year to recover from a tkr, I didn't believe it until it took all of 2017 to recover from surgery in January. The combination of surgery, lack of sleep, the inability to read and/or concentrate for any period of time and the whole "letting go" and letting your body tell you when and what you can do is depressing and frustrating. It may be especially hard for women because we're so used to thinking we "have" to do everything and sometimes, that just isn't true. There are good things about the process and it's given me a new appreciation for a lot of little things - and it's made me realize it's ok to let a lot of things just go. I'm having the second tkr in July and am dreading the process (especially not sleeping) but am looking forward to not having the bone on bone pain. 7 weeks is really early into the process & therapy 3 times a week is probably too much but once you start sleeping for more than 45 minutes at a time during the night, you'll start to feel better. One of the top 5 moments in my life was when I could finally sleep on my side again (but obviously, I've had a boring life! :) ).
 
my surgeon had me start taking it 6 weeks before surgery and for several weeks after. I suspect he does that for all his surgical patients. I didn’t like how it made me feel, I think I was constipated from the very first one

Yep, me too!!! I sleep well, could that be the iron?
 
The iron didn’t help me sleep.
 
I've heard magnesium helps RLS so I take it. Plus no worries about constipation!:whistle:
 
I was iron deficient after surgery so I just started taking it. I had bouts of restless legs too. Don’t have a clue what to do for that though. There are a lot of ups and downs, physically and emotionally. I take a prescription sleep medication. You could ask your doctor. Have you tried Melatonin?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom