Stripey
member
- Joined
- Apr 5, 2014
- Messages
- 215
- Age
- 69
- Location
- Washington State
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
I have not been here for awhile as I've been busy living my New, Improved Life!! It is week 10 for me - I'm back at work full-time, hiking on weekends, enjoying what is left of the summer. I went back to the gym at week 8, and am gradually re-building my strength. Was surprised at how much cardiovascular fitness I had lost, but it's coming back. Of course I had to go online and order some new workout wear. Can't dress this new hip in the same dowdy old gym rags I've been wearing for years
. Next month I will treat myself to a new bicycle if my finances can bear it. Last night I was lying in bed, just marveling at how wonderful it is not to have that awful groin pain keeping me awake. I can get into my car by leading with my right leg (instead of sitting sideways on the seat and painfully swinging my legs in). I can swing my leg over my bike! I actually look forward to walking the dogs after dinner, instead of seeing it as a (painful) chore. Yes, it is the little things. I am still stiff when in any one position (especially sitting) for more than 10 minutes. It works itself out after about 20 steps, and is definitely getting better but as we all know it's a marathon, not a sprint...
This week I had a little blip. While helping to medicate an elderly cat, I got my finger in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got bit pretty deep. Within a few hours it had begun to swell and turn purple. Thanks to the stories of those with joint infections on this website I knew this was nothing to mess around with. Straight to the doctor I went, and am on 2 weeks of Augmentin. For any hippies having this experience - yes, you can get an infected joint from an animal bite or even a scratch from a cat, so when in doubt head to the doc. It's important to receive treatment within the first 24 hours.
@grnplatebrd Portland is my hometown! I would live there still if life circumstances hadn't led me north and pinned me here. Not to dis Seattle (but shhhhh, Portland is better!
)
. Next month I will treat myself to a new bicycle if my finances can bear it. Last night I was lying in bed, just marveling at how wonderful it is not to have that awful groin pain keeping me awake. I can get into my car by leading with my right leg (instead of sitting sideways on the seat and painfully swinging my legs in). I can swing my leg over my bike! I actually look forward to walking the dogs after dinner, instead of seeing it as a (painful) chore. Yes, it is the little things. I am still stiff when in any one position (especially sitting) for more than 10 minutes. It works itself out after about 20 steps, and is definitely getting better but as we all know it's a marathon, not a sprint...This week I had a little blip. While helping to medicate an elderly cat, I got my finger in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got bit pretty deep. Within a few hours it had begun to swell and turn purple. Thanks to the stories of those with joint infections on this website I knew this was nothing to mess around with. Straight to the doctor I went, and am on 2 weeks of Augmentin. For any hippies having this experience - yes, you can get an infected joint from an animal bite or even a scratch from a cat, so when in doubt head to the doc. It's important to receive treatment within the first 24 hours.
@grnplatebrd Portland is my hometown! I would live there still if life circumstances hadn't led me north and pinned me here. Not to dis Seattle (but shhhhh, Portland is better!
)
Needless to say we enjoyed being in your state!!