Stocking up for Post-op!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty Beachgal, been lurking on your threads and yall have some funny stuff going on here. Keep it simple, you don't need much, it is not as bad as you think it will be. I'm headed in on Monday for my second hip THR, so I am right ahead of you and will check in on you when I get back home. Best wishes, thoughts, and prayers...
 
:type::type::type:@beachgal and any others preparing for surgery. I had my knee done two weeks ago so I know what I need after surgery versus a hip patient may be different but here are a few things I have used that have found valuable for my recovery. I took mints to the hospital-the red and white ones that almost melt in your mouth. They help me with nausea. I also ordered hard ginger candy to help with the nausea. I took a few packs of baby wipes with me to help freshen up. I did take showers at the hospital but the first night I had to use a bedpan and the feeling of being unclean drove me nuts so the wipes helped me feel a tad cleaner. The prunes are great because constipation is a big deal. I found that the little cups of Motts applesauce have helped my bowels as well. I get mine flavored with cinnamon and stick them in the fridge. One or two of those a day has kept things running smooth. I also picked up a small book with blank paper on the inside to keep track of my meds. I had to write down when I took them or I would forget. I know people have talked about an app for their phone but I wanted to be able to add comments to my med entries. I would(still am doing this) write the time I took my meds, how many I took and what my pain level was when I took them(1-10). I would also add comments about anything significant that was going on. An example-12 noon-2 percocets-pain level 8-9-just finished physical therapy. It helps me when my doctor or nurse wants to know how my pain is doing and if I feel my current method of pain control is working for me. I also have a few pages in the back of the book that I use to keep track of my physical therapy appts, home nurse appts, and other things related to my recovery. This has become my diary of recovery and has been so very helpful. I also have the walker, cane, ice packs, ice machine, dressing change supplies such as 4x4's and paper tape. Remember to keep receipts as these items can be claimed as tax deductions under medical equipment.:type:
 
@DanaDelight, great advice there! I have a sort of aversion to applesauce after feeding it to my Mom for a year while she was in hospice but I may have to get over it! I've got the prunes and I love Nature's Valley granola bars so maybe between the two, I'll be ok. Sure hope so. Thanks for your insight!
 
@waterman, as I type this, you are in surgery and I hope you can feel the prayers and good wishes I'm sending your way! I know I have already "overprepared" but I'd rather have too much stuff that I don't need than really need something that I forgot. Since my hubby will be three hours away, I hate to inconvenience my sisters and friends to "pick up something" for me...although they would eagerly go. I'm a bit anal that way, anyway, so I think it helps me to relax mentally if I feel like I've covered all the bases. I think there are others like me here on this forum so I'm in good company.

I'll be watching for your "thumbs up" after your surgery...be my hero today!
 
@beachgal, you are not alone in your procrastination. :cheers: I am scheduled for July 15 and the only thing I have bought is a new toilet! :) To be honest, I've been wanting a new one for a few months, so this was a good time - I got the taller ADA height. My BF will be installing it in a week or so. I have a vanity counter right next to the toilet so I should not need anything more there.

I have looked at canes - haven't ordered one yet though. I know I need to do that soon! I do have a friend that has offered up his crutches from his THR a few years ago, if I need them. I have some of the small gel freezer packs that I have used in the past for various injuries or aches...not sure if they will be sufficiently large though. Has anyone posted any links to the cold packs that have worked for them?

I'm not too worried about stocking up on food - my son is home from college and will be there to get what I need, if I can't manage. I am beefing up my diet now with iron and protein rich foods. Also I do plan to make those "get up and go" cookies to have as soon as I can eat something - I darn sure don't want any constipation issues!!!

I have a comfortable "place" where I imagine I will be passing the time for a few days, my sofa has reclining ends and it's quite comfy. I am actually thinking about getting a new mattress - mine is 17 years old and I know it's overdue for a replacement, but all the new ones are so darn high I am afraid that I will have a problem getting up on the bed after surgery. :sad: So I might just have to deal with the old one for a while...even though I think I would sleep much better on a new one.

I don't need clothes or shoes - I have plenty of comfy slip-on flats, and a pair of shorts and a t-shirt should do me as far as the hospital time. And since I already work out a lot, I have a large supply of workout shorts/tanks/shoes etc., for walking.

I might buy a grabber thing....I can see where that would be handy. And I plan to clean the house well before my surgery - I don't want to be dealing with housecleaning for a few weeks.

I'll keep checking the lists and see what I have forgotten, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your procrastination. :)
 
@Chessie, you're in fine shape! I can see where you have thought through the various items and situations and have a handle on how to deal! I think if I was recovering at my home, I wouldn't be nearly as driven, but having to stock our home with survival things for hubby and dog, readying our Jackson home for me and whatever may come, and being sure my clients are in a place where I can leave them for a few weeks, well, it's disconcerting, at best.

I did read on this forum about new shoes...that the old walking patterns have taken a toll on shoes and we may need a new pair for our new gait caused me to order some to try...and it's been a while since I've felt like working out to any degree except for yoga and the clothes I ordered will probably end up in the garbage once my hip heals since I ordered a couple of sizes too large so as not to be restrictive.

We bought a new mattress and box springs last fall when my OS thought it might help my hip...NOT!...but it will be nice to have a firm bed set to recuperate on. There are so many kinds to choose from and none of the good ones are cheap, so it's really an investment that must be planned.

When my grabber, ice packs, and cane arrive and I get a handle on what I love/hate about them, I'll let you know. They should be here Friday.

Your son will be a big help to you, and I'm already looking forward to reading of your recovery even as I prepare to have my surgery. You're ten days ahead of me and I know you will inspire me to persevere!
 
Hi Beachgal,
This one is for you.....my first surgery wasn't planned. I had an accident. Wow, getting everything together was hard to do. My kids did their best but for some reason they thought I was a 2x and all my pants were falling off in rehab!!!
Ok, to add to your list: Make sure you have a commode for your bedroom at home and the bathroom. I needed to use the bedroom one at night for about a month at home after 2 weeks of rehab. Next: Chuck the sneakers and get a pair of Sperry's or Dockers. I had to ask the kids to tie my shoes all the time. With it, get a long shoe horn.
The reacher is your best friend. So, yes, get two. Because if one falls on the floor, you won't be able to retrieve it!!!
Make sure you have double rails to get into the house up the steps and also that the bathtub/shower has rails. The shower bench is great. I still use it.
Be sure to get the front basket for your walker. It is really cool. You will be able to carry your own things like water, cellphone, snacks, kindle, books without bothering people.
Realize too that you do lose a bit of independence. But that's okay. You'll handle it. Just stay positive. Look at me. I just went thru an 8 month recovery that didn't work. So, with my walker, off we go July 24th to get it done. Total hip replacement plus femur section replaced on leg and I should be pretty much Superwoman.
Do a little bit each day and know that once you wake up from the surgery? It's all over. You are done. No more problems. A few days being uncomfortable, the rest is uphill. It is a slow recovery. But that's okay. Winter is coming, just around the corner, and you'll be all snuggly inside.
One last thing if you are going to rehab. I don't have to go this time. BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE. Those four words will be your sanity. Believe it or not, if you don't like a nurse, you can request a different one. I used to go over the shift list and if I didn't care for one, I would go to the Nurse Supervisor and request another. This made my stay 1000% better. You can also request a different rehab doctor, which you will be assigned. I switched half way through and was a much happier person. Don't say no to talking with a psychologist. It really helped me. I had a good chat and talked about all sorts of stuff and felt a lot better. Physical therapy and occupational therapy is a good time. You will enjoy the two hours a day that you are scheduled for that. The food is great!!! You can have your dog visit, at least at my facility I could and that was a big comfort. Go to bed early. The longer you stay up and longer it will take to get a nurse to get you in bed. Have dinner and tuck in at 7. Good luck, seriously, just be your own advocate.
 
Ohhhhh I read all the posts and that stirred this. Do get a house cleaner. I can't tell you how wonderful it was and still is. She comes every other week and it is heaven. And, don't forget about the inside of you!!!!! I started on a line of Shaklee nutritional products and I am stronger and better than I ever was. I have continued now with the protein shakes and vitamins and supplements. Love your body. It needs extra stuff to handle the change. Now is a good time to take a look at your eating habits and make some corrections. I am happy I did.
 
@beachgirl63, what a great post! Thanks so much for your thoughtful suggestions, many of them will incorporate into my already lengthy list of "to do"s...but time-saving, mentally-healthy, emotionally-preserving ideas are welcomed!

I have a housekeeper for the coastal home and office. No sweat there. She will keep hubby and dog in clean sheets, towels, and generally keep things from falling apart. She has keys, waters plants, etc. So grateful for her and her sweet spirit of helpfulness.

I also have a contact for a housekeeper at our Jackson home. I've used her several times over the past few years with Mom and Aunt so she's a Godsend, too. She's already contacted me about helping in any way she can...

Two grabbers arrived yesterday and hubby and I had a contest to see who could pick up stuff the fastest...too bad he's not the one having the surgery! Long-handled shoe horn will arrive Friday along with my cane. Zappos has brought two pairs of the four I ordered, none of them have shoelaces! I'm waiting to check out the remaining two pairs before I decide on which to keep. Gotta love Zappos.

The best advice, though, is about being your own advocate. I should have read that about a year ago. I thought I was doing well with various doctors until I realized that one simple MRI could have avoided a lot of pain, time, and energy drain...so, no problem with my asking for what I need, either from a nurse, PT person, whoever...

For once, this is going to be all about me. :sos:
 
Ohhhhh I read all the posts and that stirred this. Do get a house cleaner. I can't tell you how wonderful it was and still is. She comes every other week and it is heaven.

I'd love to. Unfortunately my insurance won't cover it!!
 
I'm chuckling as I type this...my office looks like a rehab facility! Unpacked eight boxes delivered via UPS and FedEx today so I'm looking at the toilet seat, bed tray, study pillow, three pj sets, one gel pack...four pairs of shoes, still can't decide on which one yet....and hubby just walked out to the gym....shaking his head.....
Hahaha
 
Haha, @beachgal , my deliveries are coming in too and are taking over my house. It's kind of fun... isn't that sad what passes for fun these days!
 
I decided that I didn't want to do dishes during the first few weeks my recovery, so sturdy paper/plastic plates and flatware were on my list. Still have to wash the serving /cooking stuff, but plates & utensils get chucked right in the trash!! Got a big plastic "Bath Step" for next to my high bed, which has been great for getting in & out of bed, and a leg lifter.
 
You are going to feel so great. Trust me. The ice gel packs are your BFF. The pain is so tolerable. It's the anxiety before that nearly killed me. Those memories are now fading..yours will too!
 
@PA Gal I did the same thing but I used the top rack of the dishwasher for the stuff I had to use that wasn't disposable. My dishwasher has a top rack only setting so it was convenient. I was able to go three days before I had filled the top rack.
 
@nogods -- I don't have an automatic dishwasher - never have :bawl:- so it was the standing at the sink, washing by hand, that I wanted to avoid - plus the extra mess & clutter. I'm lovin' it! :happydance:
 
I've always have had a dishwasher. I got the automatic one after the first one left and took half my stuff with her.
 
Good ideas, all, about dishwashers, both human and machine, paper plates, throw-away containers, and elevating my legs. I'm putting four more quarts of soup in freezer today. Seems a bit surreal to be planning all this as sometimes I wake up and it's seems like a nightmare until I step on that left leg.

I've been a bit weepy yesterday and today, no particular reason, but an early morning drive along the beach triggered my memory banks to record the cloud formations, the sounds if the gulls, the smell of the salt air. I know I will need to tap into that later this summer.

Our class reunion planning meeting was like medicine. Some of my classmates I have not seen since we graduated but, honestly, who knows you better than these faces? Such joy and excitement at the prospect of gathering up this bunch of folks for a great reunion. It just warms my heart. Exactly a year from this weekend and I'll be the one dancing on the table!

I practiced shaving my legs. I should submit it to "America's Funniest Videos". I'd surely win the prize. At least I didn't cut myself.

You guys simply cannot know what a blessing you are (and this forum) to me. I find myself in every post I read. Scared, nervous, excited, all these emotions, and they flood my soul when I least expect it. Thank you all for walking me and others through the fire.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Aw @beachgal , sorry you are having the blues. This whole prep period is an emotional roller coaster. I remember well wondering how the heck I would make it to my surgery date. Keep coming here and sharing your concerns. It does help. We do understand what you are going through and will be with you all the way!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom