THR Still limping after surgery'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Grannyhippy
Why not start your own thread. Perhaps one of the moderators can help you. ( @Jaycey @Jamie ) You did such a detailed post in Mary Jayne's thread. It is a shame for it to get lost or ignored! You must be relieved to be driving again and more able to get out. You sound organised about swimming. I want to get swimming or at least walking in the water fairly soon. I plan to go on Tuesday with a friend but feel a little cautious. Keep posting!!
 
@Grannyhippy ..... Good job detailing your recovery so far! I have copied that post into your own recovery thread here so you can continue to post. It seems MaryJayne will be leaving us and your information would be lost here. Please use this new thread to comment, ask questions or give updates. If you'd like to change the thread title at any time, just post what you want right in the thread and we'll get it taken care of for you.
 
Thank you Jamie for creating a new thread for me. And, thank you Copsam for suggesting it. I hope Mary Jayne's recovery continues to go well.

Today I drove down to a local man-made lake and walked around it taking time out to sit on one of the benches and chill out watching the ducks and swans. I decided to go back to using two crutches for the walk as I think my gait is more even when using both. Otherwise I tend to lean over to one side more. I have continued to alternate between using one crutch or no crutches at home around the house.

A couple of days ago I visited a friend in hospital. I drove there myself and used only one crutch. I used the car park closest to her ward and parked next to the lift so that I did not have to walk too far. The more I get up and move around, the better I feel. I am negotiating both the front and back steps more often but with the back steps I hang onto the bottom of the pool type fencing on the retaining wall next to the steps.

Copsham. I would be a little cautious about swimming without checking with your doctor first. Walking in chest high water is OK though. The water offers resistance without full weight bearing. This tones the muscles. I used to walk in the pool before and after my back surgery in 2008 and my husband used to visit the pool after his knee replacement in 2012.

Just be careful not to overdo it as it is very easy to do so.
 
No more limp. NORDIC POLES! Just make sure you use them properly. They keep you walking straight and are great to strengthen muscles all over. Happy health hipsters!
 
@Mary Jayne That is fantastic news. Hooray!

I just watched a video on Nordic pole walking technique and one thing I noticed is it encourages one to keep an upright posture. I think that is what I need. Using one crutch helps me achieve that as well. The thing is I don't really see people using these poles around the streets here and although they are a great idea I think I would feel a little self conscious using them. I think my daughter has used them in the past when hiking in the mountains. I know she used snow poles when she went hiking in Tasmania and down at the Snowy Mountains in NSW.

I think if I tried them I my gait would be steadier than when walking with my cane as the cane wobbles when I place it on the ground and put my weight on it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom