Guest viewing is limited

Stellac in recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
II had a Total Hip Replacement done 22 days ago. I had a spinal and nerve block anaesthetic with lots of sedation. Was in high Dependancy unit over it because that is the surgeons policy. Great care good nights sleep great pain management.
The following day I was transferred to the ward and had the pleasure of getting out of bed for a walk and found it so easy very little pain and comfortable after the walk.
I basically managed a shower on my own and discovered two wounds. No wound drain. First wound Anterior approach to Minimal Invasive Hip Replacement wound only 3"approach no bruising or swelling. Then all of a sudden although I could not see it but feel this 14" or so taped wound and wondered why.?
When the surgeon came around they found a bursa as large as a lemon which they removed. I had signed the consent form for this but had not had any pain there but there was an enormous amount of inflammation noted on MRI.
I am managing exceptionally well and am now discharged and on my way home where my husband is waiting with open arms to Nurse me back to health. Hip area no bruising or swelling just a little bit at the back of the wound So pleased so far.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you got to the top of the page here and find your name then click in to the details there's an option called signature. Just add your surgery info there and save, then it will appear at the bottom whenever you sign off. Saves adding to every time. Give it a try.
 
Do I need to rewrite my signature line with every post or will it save
No need to write any signature in your posts. Your signature is saved on your profile and now appears in every post.
 
@Jaycey I wrote what I thought was my signature several days ago but I guess it did not save.thanks it looks like it us there. No worries
 
I am 9 days postoperative for a RTHR. I have been doing my ankle pumps and other easy exercises at least 3 times a day. My pain is pretty well controlled. I may take a maximum of 3 hydrocodone pills a day. Yesterday and today I am feeling the sensation of a Charlie horse spasm in my right buttock and right calf. The buttock I can understand due to the incision but I am concerned about the calf because of the potential for a blood clot. I do take aspirin 325 milligrams twice a day. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this sensation in their calf. Thanks.


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Stellac hi, it sounds like you are doing well for just nine days. I'm sure someone will reply soon, who has experiencedone your kind of pain. Imy waiting for my R THP on March 7th so am on here soaking up as much knowledge as I can before hand. I would think that the Charliehorse on the lower part of your leg could easily be that muscle overworking to compensate for your operated hip. Hope you can get some relief soon. Have you tried any gentle calf stretches, even the ones where we sit and point our toes, is a good calf stretch.
Best wishes on your complete recovery.
 
Thanks @Cherdonnay. I think you may be right about my calf overcompensating for my hip. I also may have stretched my calf doing the ankle pumps. Good luck with your surgery in March. This forum has been very helpful to me both preoperatively and postoperatively. I was so worn out soaking up all the knowledge that I could before surgery that the anxiety of it waned and I accepted that I was in good hands with my surgeon. The entire experience wasn't half as bad as I imagined.
 
[emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had those calf aches first day post op. I did the ankle pumps and tried not to worry. I'm still here, day 6 and the aches have disappeared.
 
If you're exercising "at least 3 times a day" it may be that you're doing too much? Try cutting down and see if that makes a difference as it will point to whether you're overdoing things. But don't forget Josephine's words that hips don't actually need much exercise other than walking, and that in moderation. I certainly followed this advice for both my THRs and it worked beautifully for me. Exercising more won't guarantee a faster recovery- it may even set you back. Have you tried icing your calf to ease the pain?
 
I went to the ED last evening since I couldn't shake the calf pain and I was concerned that it was a DVT; which is what it is. A Doppler ultrasound was performed on my operative leg which was positive for an occlusive acute DVT below the knee within the posterior tibial and soleal veins. The ED physician initially wanted to admit me for heparinization and Coumadin or Warfarin because he was concerned with the fact that I had an epidural there is a risk of developing a blood clot in the spine which could cause paralysis if I were instead placed on Eliquis or Xeralta but after speaking with one of the Hospitalists and an Anesthesiologist who told him the risk so was small so he discharged me home on Eliquis. My husband is getting the prescription filled and he calls me to say that the Pharmacist doesn't think I should be on this medicine because there isn't a reversal agent. I am beside myself! I am following my Primary MD's advice and the Surgeon's to take the Eliquis. I thought the worst part was going to be the surgery; I did not expect this complication. I walked, wore the compression stockings and elevated my legs when I am sitting. Thanks for letting me vent my frustration.
 
So sorry you are dealing with this complication @Stellac . Please call your surgeon's office or primary care MD to get clarification on what meds you should be taking. Perhaps they should call in the prescription. I agree, very disturbing that the Pharmacist is trying to regulate what meds you should be on.

Hang in there - the meds should sort this for you very quickly. Glad you had this pain checked. DVT does happen but it is certainly not the norm.
 
@steellar good call let us know the outcome. Sorry you have to deal with this and the different med opinions.
 
@Stellac been thinking about you. Did you get your meds sorted? How are you feeling?
 
My surgeon wants me to follow what my primary care physician says and my primary care MD agrees with the protocol the ED physician initiated so I am taking the Eliquis as directed and will follow up with my primary who will repeat the Doppler ultrasound in a few weeks. I still have swelling in the calf. I am icing and elevating when sitting or lying down. I am walking as much as I can. If there's anything else that you all can advise that I should be doing please let me know. I am a very compliant patient. Thank you.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Stellac , just read this thread this morning. I am waiting for my big date for LTHR on Feb. 15. I probably understand better than most your fear and frustration with the DVT, as I had developed a DVT in 2015. It is scary, but the good thing is that you are now on appropriate medication and know you have a recognized cause for your issue! I was put on Enoxaparin injections at the same time as Coumadin in pill form when first diagnosed for a period of a few weeks until my INR was considered "therapeutic,") usually a reading of between 2.0-3.0) until I could go to just Coumadin, a pill.

My experience with DVT has been an eye opener as there is a lot of ignorance out there where treatment is concerned . To end on a positive note - a very good thing is that you can actually point to an accepted reason for the clot , so I personally think this will just be one more thing to work with your doctor on in your recovery. Seek as much info as you can get from your doctors as to your plan for recovery ! All the best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are doing all that you can to kick this @Stellac . Ice and elevate and yes, do move around regularly. Please keep us updated!
 
Sounds like you are doing all that you can to kick this @Stellac . Ice and elevate and yes, do move around regularly. Please keep us updated!

Thanks Jaycey. I do appreciate everyone's concern and advice. I am so happy that I found this forum!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:friends:@Stellac so sorry to hear you're having problems. Hopefully your next app will show that everything's ok. Hang in there and any worries just post on here also all vents are welcome LOL ! We all feel for you. It helps me loads just knowing people on here will help all they can. Am sure once you're over this hiccup you will be so glad you have a new hip and can start to live again without pain. Keep us posted and good luck.
 
So sorry to read you had this complication. :( Glad you got attention and medicine. Hang in there! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom