THR Starting to worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @ultimatewd. I'm going to throw in my tuppence worth here. Firstly congratulations on your THR. You'll be taking a walk in the countryside soon with your family and that's what's really important. I'm self employed like you and thought (needed) to be back at work at about 8 weeks though this didn't transpire.
I can tell you this though. You will recover and you will resume duties. Some people recover at a slower rate than others ( I was one even though I was fit before my op). There are a lot of smart people giving you good advice on this forum and I would advise you to pay attention to it. I'm not going to tell you to give the Jan job a miss but putting a plan B in place would be good practice. You may have that hip for 20 to 30 years so its important to ensure its settles down now. Best wishes for your recovery.
Joe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mopster - Thank you! I had read your thread as well! Just finished telling my husband about you and the 8 day stay in the hospital.

I greatly appreciate everyone's advice. I'm contacting the school I contract for and expressing my concerns so that they may have a back up plan in place, as well as accommodate my need for parking and assistance with supplies, etc.

I may feel up to it in 2 weeks, I may not. You all have helped me prepare for it, and I no longer feel guilty or down on myself for not being able.

I'll keep posting on my progress, as @mopster has done. It is so helpful to me to read others stories, and to have something for myself to reflect back on.

God bless,
Kristen
 
@ultimatewd Welcome to BoneSmart and congratulations on that new hip. You've received some great advice on your thread. I have had both hips replaced and can confirm you just can't fight the energy drain that comes with this surgery. Just take things very easy - put all your backup plans in place. And most important listen to that hip. It will tell you when you have gone too far. Do avoid trying to lift anything too heavy. New hips complain very quickly when you try and lift anything heavier than an average sized grocery bag.

There is just no way to predict how you will feel in 2 weeks. There was no way I would have been able to return to work at 4 weeks post LTHR. But at 4 weeks post RTHR I did start back working part time from home. At 6 weeks I was back in the office. But I did suffer from energy drain and had to back off when necessary.

Please keep us updated!
 
@ultimatewd Hi! I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and I am so happy that you found this site! I have not had my surgery yet. (23 days!!:happydance:) So I have nothing to add. I think everyone has given you lots of good advise. So glad you are going to listen and no longer feel bad that you are not progressing like the "stories" you heard about. Good luck on your recovery and in going back to work. :)
 
Everyone has said so much good stuff, there's nothing I feel I could add to but I wanted to just tell you that I relate to what you're feeling. I'm 40, 5 weeks post op core decompression of my left hip in hopes to avoid a THR, and it's gone nothing like my surgeon had assured me it would. I too, feel like a burden on my other half. The process is hard but just know this will pass. It will get better and easier but there just is no textbook timeline. Our bodies are all unique and only you can know how you feel so it's imperative you listen to your body. Pain, swelling, fatigue....these are all your cues to pause. Rest, ice, and elevate.
Big hugs. So glad you came here. :-)
 
I've spoken to the school that contracted me... they are finding a replacement. I just hope whoever they choose takes good care of my students... but not too good that they don't call me back

I had a breakdown, full on breakdown worrying about finances... but I gave it to God. I'm in good hands. I trust everything will work out and this is what needed to be.

I'm very greatful to have found you! Strangers that care... that really does happen ❤ My new friends, thank you for talking some sense into me and taking the time to help. I needed it!

God bless,
Kristen
 
Hi @ultimatewd Kristen - and welcome to Bonesmart - the best place you can be. :welome: I hope you appreciate that so much of the discomfort you are dealing with now is because Christmas is rough on us with recent surgeries, plus you have a 3-year old who is just really getting what Christmas is. Her excitement must have been immense. Your comment about her never having known you pain-free really got to me. The great news is she will grow up with you in that condition! :happydance:

I was driving at 3 weeks after bilateral hip replacement and felt quite comfortable with it then. Had hubby, the Sainted Joe, drive me to a safe parking lot to practice a bit and feel comfortable before I took to the open roads! Having worked out a Plan B with your employer is wise.

As women and the usual caretakers, I suspect we tend to feel like we are a burden on the spouses and family. However, I must say the Sainted Joe really blossomed as my pseudo-nurse, not once, not twice, but now looking at the fifth time next week! Allow him the chance to care for you - you've earned it. And you are indeed, in good hands!
 
Kristen, sometimes blessings come in ways that may seem like a negative at first view. You were honest with your employer. That will speak volumes about your commitment to your students and the school. Much better than keeping mum and possibly having problems once the classes started that put the school in an "emergency" position. You will be a better and stronger instructor when you return.

This will all work out. Things always have a way of doing that. When you feel yourself slipping a bit and worrying, don't hesitate to come here and talk about it. We are your BoneSmart family and we care about you. You have people all over the world now who will rally 'round you and help you find a way out of any temporary negative that pops up in your life!

It's always scary when we have to put ourselves out there in a new environment or do things in a way that was not planned. You are a bright and caring young woman and you'll get through this. Just keep your eyes and heart open to all that you experience this day forward. As things unfold you'll see the right path. It's always there.

If you have a particular point of contact at the school, I suggest that you keep in contact with them after your surgery with an email, a phone call or a note every few weeks to update on your recovery and express your desire to return to work.
 
so glad you have made a decision it must be a load of your mind. Sometimes life throws us these hardballs and they are difficult to deal with but am sure everything will turn out ok for you. Keep posting and update us. Can agree with Sunny girl I am only 8 weeks out and suddenly get an energy drain and I have to lie down - even sitting is not enough! I just leave everything and rest knowing I'll feel better tomorrow. I know it must be hard having a 3 year old running around as well so be kind to yourself and let others do things for you and chill as much as possible.
 
I've spoken to the school that contracted me... they are finding a replacement. I just hope whoever they choose takes good care of my students... but not too good that they don't call me back

Oh, phew. I'm SO relieved to hear this. Was genuinely concerned! You must be feeling mixed emotions, but be happy about this. Discussing the situation with the school was a great decision. I'm so very happy indeed to hear that you @ultimatewd are respecting your body, putting your self, your health and your new hip first. Giving yourself adequate recovery time will secure your long-term physical stability and wellbeing. From this wise and considered decision, you will benefit, your family will benefit and your students will benefit. (You can't give the students 100% at this point.) Two months of that daily schedule, after only four weeks recovery doesn't bear thinking of ...

Fighting against nature is exhausting. Now you can give yourself the recuperation you deserve, and not rush your body's unique healing processes. Wonderful! Listen in and do what it asks. At the five, six week or eight week point when you feel great progression, enjoy it and don't have regrets that perhaps you could have gone ahead with work after all - promise? You will be feeling good because of the amazing healing opportunity you have given your body.

PS The school will admire your transparency, trustworthiness, your honesty and your commitment to student wellbeing, learning and outcomes - for sure they'll want you back :-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@ultimatewd, I am glad you made the decision to take care of yourself, although it means you lost out on some needed income. For that, I'm truly sorry and I hope that things turn out well on that front. But taking care of your body is so important and everyone gave you such great advice. Good luck with your continued healing!
 
I taught 2 days last week. The 2nd day I was near tears but I made it through. I teach 4 days a week for the next month. I have rigged an ice pack to be able to wear [emoji106]


God bless,
Kristen
[LTHR 12/13/16]
 
Check out the stairs I have to climb to get to the computer lab... and the bathroom is at the bottom.

[Bonesmart.org] Starting to worry



God bless,
Kristen
[LTHR 12/13/16]
 
That's some long set of stairs! Make sure you continue to get as much rest as possible when not at work. Things will continue to get easier as time goes by. You are doing very well.
 
Those Stairs are Daunting. Do you sit half way up?


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom