THR Springmom Recovery Thread (4/26 Surgery)

No need to apologise for telling your story. That is what the forum is for to vent your views and feelings. Other's need to know that things don't always go as planned before they make their final decision to have surgery.
 
Well I certainly hope you are feeling better, hope you are home from the hospital and on the road to recovery, Best wishes that it goes better from now on.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One of the reasons I love the forum is because we get both sides of the story. Before I had the surgery, I felt like I had read about a lot of things that could come up so if something did happen, it would not come as such a shock and I'd be better prepared to deal with it. I also found it comforting to know it is fine to share ALL our experiences, both the good and the bad, here on the forum so we can get the help and support we need. So,@Springmom, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Someone on the forum said that maybe those with good experiences don't tend to post as often and I feel sure that is true, mostly because they may not need as much support as the rest of us.

So, how are you feeling now that you've been home for a few days, @Springmom?
 
@GrannyC - thank you for saying that...I certainly didn't want to scare anyone away from having this surgery!

I am still struggling with pain management. I'm not sure why, but my doctor prescribed 1 tab 5MG Oxycodone HCL every 4-6 hours when in the hospital 2 tabs every 4 hours was putting me at about a "5" for pain.

I did try to follow his Rx, but 1 tab didn't seem to touch that deep achy bone pain and every 6 hours instead of 4 did not keep my pain under control proactively, rather I was chasing the pain reactively and it would take 50 minutes just to feel pain deescalate from raging 8-10 to tolerable 5-6.

Now I'm scared to write an email to my doctor's nurse via the patient portal for fear they're going to say I shouldn't be burning through the pain meds so quickly.

However, because it was the weekend I knew there'd be no one to help me and any changes to Rx take 24-48 hours notice.

I have been stretching pain meds out to 6 hours since around noon yesterday, but at 2 tabs not 1 tab as prescribed.

I feel I should reach out and explain my situation (and with about 16 tabs out of 40 left at this rate I will run out around noon tomorrow).

@Jaycey and @Josephine - any advice? Pain has continued to be deep, achy, sickly feeling and not just at incision site, but deep throughout the thigh, deep in buttock, behind the knee, and even gripping the ankle.

Using large gel packs constantly and also taking Methocarbamol 750MG tab every 8 hours as prescribed for horrible muscle spasms.

Charlene

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Charlene,
I am not any type of medical person - just another hippie - but I think you need to reach out to your doctor's office sooner rather than later. I was lucky because my doctor had nurses in call 24/7 if I had a problem so I ended up calling yesterday (Sunday) about constipation and a nurse got back to me within 5 min which was great. If it were me, I would call the office for something as important as this rather than use the portal. And I would call immediately so they get back to you today. You don't want to let it go. All the pain will affect your healing and you want to get it under control. This , of course is just my opinion, but it is what I'd be doing if it were me. I'm not a fan of portals in a case like this. Keep us posted.
 
@GrannyC- thank you for giving me that little extra push to go ahead and call OS.

They did not seemed surprised at all that at 6 days post-op I still needed 10MG Oxy every 4hrs. and refilled the the Rx so I can keep ahead of pain and keep moving with PT.

Nothing wants to makes you want to stop moving like PAIN!

My encouragement to any future post-op friends is to not be afraid to manage your pain proactively vs. reactively with medicine or to compare yourself to others who were able to manage their pain differently with a lesser or shorter dosage.

Nothing about my surgery or post-op is what I imagined it would be but it's about learning to manage your own health so you can get better and get back to your normal life!

Charlene


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you are staying ahead of the pain. This is key at this point in your recovery. Take those meds around the clock as prescribed. When you start forgetting doses it's a sign your body is weaning of your meds.
 
Charlene,
I hope the meds have helped and you are feeling better. Make sure you stay on top of everything. After a major surgery like that, you should be ale to call your OS office with any questions or problems. I'm very blessed because my OS has people on call 24/7 when office is closed to answer questions or problems. In fact I called on Sunday about constipation because I thought Mon was too long to wait. Someone got back to me within 5 min. Then a nurse called mon to check on how I was doing. Then PT started mon and she gave me numbers to call for problems. PT is not affiliated with OS so I now have lots of people waiting to help me. This may be the exception but I don't know. But it is your body and you've paid them for their service so call when needed.

On a more positive note, I do hope you are feeling better now and able to move a little. It seems like tiny improvements each day. I was thrilled the first time I managed to get out of bed on my own using the strap and not getting my husbands help. Our sense of accomplishment seems to change at different times in our lives.
 
Hello, all! I sorry I haven't posted in a week. It seems just accomplishing the smallest of tasks takes so much longer than normal and before you know it, the day is gone and you've not really done all that much. A 10-minute shower takes an hour, getting dressed takes 20 minutes instead of 5, that type of thing.

But, each day gets a little better and I have worked faithfully at the home exercises that my in-home PT assigns. I have progressed from walker to crutches and tomorrow the plan is to go from crutches to quad cane.

I still can't lift my surgery (log) leg into bed by myself without a little help. It really is weaker than I thought it would be, even with all the exercises I've been doing. It's really the only aspect of my post-op recovery that makes me feel a little unstable/unsafe still.

Yesterday was my 2-week post-op appointment. My PT said that even though I no longer use my walker, to take it to the doctor's office as his office is in the hospital and quite a trek. She suggested using the crutches to get down the stairs of my house but upon arrival to the hospital use the walker to get through the hospital faster. This made sense to me and besides which, my underarms are so sore from the crutches that I welcomed a short break from them.

Well, let me tell you that when my OS saw me on the walker he was furious! Without even asking me first and right in front of the nurse he asked "Why is she still on a walker?!?!"

I felt so ashamed, as if I had done something terribly wrong. He went on to say (again, without even asking me why I was using the walker), that by now he expected me to be using a single cane or nothing at all.

Once I explained that I was actually using a crutch and that I fully expected to graduate to a quad cane with my PT by Thursday, he seemed better, but I could tell he was not pleased with me. I felt
like a child being scolded by a parent.

The rest of the visit was so hard and I forgot most of the questions I had for him. Oh, did I mention he was miffed that his original aquapad dressing had been changed prior to this visit? However, the original dressing was not secured on one side and a week after leaving the hospital had torn right off when it got caught on my underpants. Fortunately, my mother-in-law who is a retired nurse put clean, non-stick dressing over the wound (and in my opinion, did a better job than the surgery staff).

I guess doctor's have their egos and I just stepped on my OS's toes without intending to so what can I do?

Still struggling with anemia and losing all that blood. Hemoglobin went from 12.5 pre-op to 8 post-op, so fatigue has definitely been an issue and may be part of the lack of strength I feel. Someone suggested a teaspoon of black strap molasses a day in my tea, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. I do believe that has helped.

See my doctor again in 4 weeks and feel like at that point, I'd better be doing cartwheels into his office or he will be very disappointed in me again!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
How sad is that that your OS could possibly be that insensitive!! That is terrible! You definitely should not feel guilty about using the walker. My discharge paperwork from hospital said to use walker for approx 2'weeks until OS said it was ok to move to cane. My PT actually called my OS office to get approval for me to go from walker to cane.

It sounds like you will have to be your own cheer leader rather than depend on the OS for any encouragement. Hopefully your PT is mor encouraging and helpful. It sounds like you are doing very well overall. With the iron issue, you might ask your GP about it and see if they want to give you anything to help with that. I really have no idea what normal levels are. You can also do a Google search for iron rich foods like spinach, meats, raisins, etc. they will help raise your levels.

You got off to a rough start so it isn't surprising it is taking a while to get to the cane. Besides every person is so very different and you shouldn't feel that you have to reach certain goals be a certain date. You need to go at your own pace. Don't dwell on your dr visit. Just move ahead at your own pace and do just what you have been doing.

I had my surgery the day after you. My PT did show me some exercises but I have really been taking them easy and not pushing it yet. I feel that my leg is still healing and I don't want to create any new issues. The couple times I have done a little more, I got sore and I didn't care for that. When I start outpatient PT next week, I will be a little more diligent but I'm not going to do anything that really hurts! Just my personal thoughts.
 
What a ...... well I can't write here what I am thinking of your doctor. There was no need for his attitude. I think I would have done a fast about face and left his office!

There is no time table for this recovery. Why is your doctor trying to create one? That "one size fits all" really makes my blood boil!

Did they tell you to take iron for your anaemia? Maybe call your family doctor to discuss this.
 
Thank you @GrannyC! I really appreciate your perspective. I am by no means a slacker and so my doctor's attitude yesterday really offended me. I don't know why, but my PT laid out the milestones of walker to crutches to cane over a 3-week period so I thought I was meeting those goals just fine. My OS never gave me his vision for what he wanted me to be doing when and the OS and PT never communicate, so I've just been plugging along doing my best.

I also asked my OS yesterday about the extreme pain in the pre-existing bursa on the surgery side (right hip). He explained that he didn't want to tell me this as to not overwhelm me with information prior to surgery, but that he made the choice to butt up against that bursa to be a match to the hip width of the left side. He said he could have brought the prosthetic in more (essentially backing off the bursa), but opted to make it a match to the left side more.

I guess I was hoping the bursa would be drained, removed, improved somehow with the THR surgery, but alas, it seems the bursa now runs the risk of being more irritated by the new device.

Has anyone else had experience with a nagging bursa on the same side as their surgery leg? I just curious if it helped or exasperated their bursitis? The OS said we will just see how it goes between now and next 6-week post-op. He said if it doesn't improve, I'm probably just looking at a lifetime of treating bursitis symptoms, unfortunately. ☹️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey- no, my OS said nothing of how to bounce back from the drop in hemoglobin. I've only been told that a normal range is 12-16 and I'm at an 8.

I don't have a primary care physician. Honestly, prior to this car accident I never really needed to go to a doctor for anything. When I would get the occasion strep throat or UTI, I would just go to my local drop-in clinic.

It was after a terrible accident in December of 2014 that all my medical issues occurred. I had dislocated vertebrae in my neck, two herniated discs in my lower right back (one of which is also torn), and then a rapid deterioration of cartilage in my right hip which eventually led to bone-on-bone pain and eventual surgery.

It's been a long 2-1/2 years and all because a teenage driver was texting and driving. Dealing with the young man's insurance company to get my medical bills covered had been a total nightmare and makes one feel like a victim twice!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Springmom.
That's quite the story. Traffic accidents have a habit of wrecking the body for a long time.
What a,horrible OS to treat you like that.
You are only a couple of weeks after major surgery and as far as I am concerned your bang on.
When you go for the 6wk check up could I suggest a notebook with prepared questions in case you forget them and possibly someone with you to advocate if necessary.
You are actually ahead of where I was at 2wks.
Joe.....
 
@Springmom I agree with everyone here. OS knew about your post op difficulty while under his authority and suspect he is being defensive with you. Consider him as you would a mechanic you hired to fix your car, don't personalize his callous actions.

For balance, my OS didn't care (or even notice) when I came hobbling in on crutches weeks later. Said the body recovers when it recovers, just sit back and endure the ride.

I took over the counter food-based iron pills, molasses (natural laxative), had steak, spinach, etc and noted a quick improvement in energy levels. Eating well works! Food-based iron pills are stomach friendly and won't further stop you up.

Sorry to hear about the car accident, you've been through a lot here, be good to yourself :)
 
Thank you @GrannyC! I really appreciate your perspective. I am by no means a slacker and so my doctor's attitude yesterday really offended me. I don't know why, but my PT laid out the milestones of walker to crutches to cane over a 3-week period so I thought I was meeting those goals just fine. My OS never gave me his vision for what he wanted me to be doing when and the OS and PT never communicate, so I've just been plugging along doing my best.

I also asked my OS yesterday about the extreme pain in the pre-existing bursa on the surgery side (right hip). He explained that he didn't want to tell me this as to not overwhelm me with information prior to surgery, but that he made the choice to butt up against that bursa to be a match to the hip width of the left side. He said he could have brought the prosthetic in more (essentially backing off the bursa), but opted to make it a match to the left side more.

I guess I was hoping the bursa would be drained, removed, improved somehow with the THR surgery, but alas, it seems the bursa now runs the risk of being more irritated by the new device.

Has anyone else had experience with a nagging bursa on the same side as their surgery leg? I was just curious if it helped or worsened their bursitis? The OS said we will just see how it goes between now and next 6-week post-op. He said if it doesn't improve, I'm probably just looking at a lifetime of treating bursitis symptoms, unfortunately. ☹️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum




Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have a regular GP, you could try calling the walk-in clinic you use since they at least have some records on you. Explain the situation to them about the iron and see what they offer. Maybe they will test you for your current level and then treat if necessary. In the meantime, try some iron rich foods as Horseshoe suggested.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom