Guest viewing is limited

Sporthog’s total right shoulder replacement

Sporthog, I'm about where you are in recovery. I've switched to Tylenol completely as of Tuesday, March 5th (10 days after surgery). Pain was never a problem for me and the Tylenol covers it completely, taking 1000mg every 8 hours. Be careful of the therapy and make sure you aren't asked to do anything that hurts. We are both still healing, my friend. I'm still under strict instructions from the surgeon to only do pendulums and a brief pulley exercise until 6 weeks out.
 
Acetaminophen seems to do the job for me. Had the staples removed today. Start physio on Wed. See the doc again in 3 months.
 
Wow - sounds like you are sailing through this recovery @SportHog ! Well done!
 
It can be a rather long time for full recovery. I'm glad you are on board with that because I hear from my surgeon that it's going to take a lot of work and patience when I get to the point of adding more exercise.
 
You are so correct Jamie. I was at physio today for my assessment and was given 4 exercises to do 2-3 times per day. Full recovery requires time and dedication.
 
I had my physiotherapy assessment done yesterday. I have been given 4 active-assisted exercises to be done 3-5 times per day. I don’t have any significant amount of pain but I do take the acetaminophen before going to bed and sometimes in the morning. Looks like it will be a long haul to full recovery.
 
Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I had a short stem shoulder arthroplasty. I also updated the picture of my incision after the staples were removed on Monday
 
Last edited:
@SportHog Wow - I am quickly learning that shoulder replacement is not for the faint hearted. You folks have quite a journey! Patience prescribed in large doses!
 
Exercises are going well and I can see a definite increase in range of motion. No significant pain but I still take acetaminophen at night. I wonder if the short stem arthroplasty results in less pain? Anybody know? Still having problems getting a good nights sleep. Antacids don’t help much. Just wish I could roll over on my right side.
 
You know, the marketing information does talk about the possibility of less pain with the shorter stem. It would make sense for that to be the case as the shorter the stem, the less disruption to bone during surgery. That can equate to less pain afterwards.

But....I have to say my pain has been minimal and I have the long stem. So it may just be the luck of the draw and surgeon's skill.

You might ask your GP for a short-term prescription for Pantoprazole for your stomach. It has worked wonders for me with my reflux that popped up right after surgery. This medication reduces the production of stomach acid and for most people should present no problems when taken for a limited period of time. I slept a bit better once I started taking it too.
 
Hi Jamie. Thanks for your response. I am taking 40 mg pantoprazole twice a day. This was prescribed when I had part of a duodenal polyp removed on Mar 6. I will need another endoscopic treatment in a month and a half. The pantoprazole is probably helping a bit. He also put me on 5 ml of liquid sucralfate 4 times a day for 4 weeks.
 
Oh my.....sorry that's not doing the job for you, then. It sounds like you're doing all you can. Hang in there!!! Hopefully it will pass with some time.
 
went to physio today and showed what I could do. Therapist was pleased so far and did some manual manipulation of the shoulder. I was also put on the pulleys. going back on Thursday. so far so good!
 
Great news!!! Onward and upward.
 
Still doing basic exercises and will be starting with a different physiotherapist on Friday. I am noticing some discomfort doing the exercises so I am not pushing as hard. Slow and steady I guess.
 
Yep. Slow and steady. We have a while to go yet. Hang in there!
 
I had my physio appointment on Friday. All appears normal for the time being and I have scheduled physio appointments every 2 weeks until July. My 6 week Anniversary is on Wednesday next week and I am hoping that I will be able to drive. Will continue using the sling at night and when relaxing in a chair. The shoulder feels really good.
 
Glad to hear that your recovery is going well
 
Back
Top Bottom