THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

I developed back pain after my hip surgery. My sciatica was terrible. A sudden pinch in my back and leg that stopped me in my tracks.
Never suffered from back pain in my life but after a few weeks as my hip improved the back pain disappeared and hasn't returned.

Maybe your body is realigning and it'll sort itself out eventually.

Sounds like a good plan to get some answers and continue with your healing process. It may seem slow, but you are making improvements.
100% I am making improvements each week I feel stronger physically and mentally :) it's been a really long hard recovery but I would definitely tell anyone who is at the early stages of this reocvery process to stick with it and believe in the process and that in the end it will all be 1000% worth it :) :)
I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone in this group that has supported me in the last year as its been a really tough year for me with lots of dark days and I honestly never thought i would get any better but with your help and support i finally feel like i am getting better physically and mentally and I'm finally able to enjoy my life to the full without massive pain and restrictions :) :) and you have all helped me get through it you have all been amazing and I can't thank you enough for your support and this group has been so helpful for me i would recommend this group to anyone in need of help after a joint replacement so thanks again:)

Last edited:
@Mojo333 @Jamie @Layla @myglasshalffull @Charlie33

100 % I am making improvements each week I feel stronger physically and mentally it's been a really long hard recovery but I would definitely tell anyone who is at the early stages of this reocvery process to stick with it and believe in the process and that in the end it will all be 1000% worth it
I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone in this group that has supported me in the last year as its been a really tough year for me with lots of dark days and I honestly never thought i would get any better but with your help and support i finally feel like i am getting better physically and mentally and I'm finally able to enjoy my life to the full without massive pain and restrictions and you have all helped me get through it you have all been amazing and I can't thank you enough for your support and this group has been so helpful for me i would recommend this group to anyone in need of help after a joint replacement so thanks again :)

SpongeBob, that is the sweetest post. Thank you for taking the time to share that message. It is heartwarming to read your kind sentiment, but most important is that you’re feeling stronger physically and mentally and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. The Best News!

We thank YOU for sharing your journey with us, struggles and all because your story will be an inspiration to others that are making their way through difficult recovery’s to know that it takes some longer than others. Remember too that many continue to enjoy improvement into their second and even third years post op.
I hope this is not goodbye and you’ll continue to stop by as you reach new milestones. Best Wishes always!
@Spongebob

SpongeBob, that is the sweetest post. Thank you for taking the time to share that message. It is heartwarming to read your kind sentiments, but most important is that you’re feeling stronger physically and mentally and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. The Best News!

We thank YOU for sharing your journey with us, struggles and all because your story will be an inspiration to others that are making their way through difficult recovery’s to know that it takes some longer than others. Remember too that many continue to enjoy improvement into their second and even third years post op.
I hope this is not goodbye and you’ll continue to stop by as you reach new milestones. Best Wishes always!
@Spongebob
@Layla Thanks for that and this is not goodbye as I will definitely be stopping by with updates as I get further down my recovery journey and I will always be here to offer any help and support to anyone that ever needs it and also my inbox is always open to anyone that needs advice or support or even just a chat :)

This is the post I’ve been waiting to read from you, @Spongebob. You’ve had a long journey and there still may be a bit more to it, but you’ve conquered the challenge and now have the focus to reach your goals. Bravo for you! You need to feel very proud of what you have accomplished. It will be fun to hear about all the things you do with your new hip.

This is the post I’ve been waiting to read from you, @Spongebob. You’ve had a long journey and there still may be a bit more to it, but you’ve conquered the challenge and now have the focus to reach your goals. Bravo for you! You need to feel very proud of what you have accomplished. It will be fun to hear about all the things you do with your new hip.
Thank-you so much and I definitely will be still here telling you all my wonderful stories with my new hip :)

Thank you SpongeBob! You certainly had a bumpy ride in the beginning & during your recovery process. We have all hoped our advice & experience would help ease your mind during this long recovery. This forum is so helpful to so many that have faced THR, those who planned it & those who didn't.
I found this forum a couple of weeks after my unexpected surgery & thank goodness I did cause folks were telling me it's a 30 day recovery! Imagine! Sure would have been nice but soon learned it took a lot of time & patience just as you have found during your journey here.
I wish you all the best & don't go far, we need to keep hearing from you!
Stay well & enjoy that new hip!

@Spongebob great post!

Speaking for myself, the mental game IS the game (as @thepuckhead said in a post). Suggest you read her 1 year update. For me I burn zero mental energy on my hip at times, and other times burn more: just depends what's going on.

For example, I tweaked my knee on operated side exercising (doing nothing crazy!). Had some fluid on knee, shin pain and threw my bio mechanics off where lots of things got grumpy. As I write this now turning the corner.

Over the past month as my knee sorted out, I lost some gains in strength and range in my hip. Not major, but enough where some old aches and pains started to come back. Yes frustrating for sure....

....but how did I manage both physically and mentally? Using skills I did not have a year ago...

Physically: I've put the work in to understand my body and exercises to point I could seamlessly dial back, keep moving in safe ways to promote healing. Main point: lots of reading and work went into building my knowledge base. But this really speaks to empowering yourself with knowledge to help the mental game.

Mentally: In the distant past, I'd stop moving. Yes, this is 100% true and related to the 'pain cycle': you feel pain and stop moving mostly because you anticipate pain and keeps you 'stuck'. Let's sit on the couch and 'heal'. Then the tissue gets weaker and more painful. This causes more anxiety and more pain, etc.. and continues to dominate your thoughts, causing release of cortisol (stress hormone) which totally screws up your ability to think straight and heal. Can't solve this through exercise sadly! But now because I feel more educated (dare I say empowered) and understand 'why' things are happening it keeps my head in balance to just go about my day. All about breaking the negative thinking cycle!

Posting this not because I think you need this advice or 'story' right now (as indicated in your post!) but adding to thread to benefit anyone else reading 'how do i deal with setbacks'. :)

Rock on brother! Great update!!

So happy for you, my friend:egypdance:
Getting back to a healthy happy life is definitely a goal we strive for after THR and the patient recovery is well worth the payoff!
Happy Monday @Spongebob

Good afternoon my wonderful hippie friends I have a quick question how common is a ache in the hip on the opposite side (showing no symptoms of arthritis) once the operated hip feels like it's getting better and better and the ache is going my physio said its quote common after the operated hip recovers and the ache starts to fade that you get a ache on the other side as everything is balancing out and readjusting but i just want to know people's thoughts on it ? :)

Your therapist is right. It is most likely things still balancing themselves out. This can take years to resolve completely, depending on your medical history. Since you’ve had a lot going on prior to your surgery, I would imagine you may fall in the category for an extended recovery period. Hang in there….time is your friend in all this.

Good afternoon my wonderful hippie friends I have a quick question how common is a ache in the hip on the opposite side (showing no symptoms of arthritis) once the operated hip feels like it's getting better and better and the ache is going my physio said its quote common after the operated hip recovers and the ache starts to fade that you get a ache on the other side as everything is balancing out and readjusting but i just want to know people's thoughts on it ? :)
Hey Sponge! I have, and at times still, experience this "phenomenon". It's amazing how much the body adjusts and compensates when and as it needs. My glute medius on both sides and at times the tfl of my "good" hip (which my surgeon told me will probably need replaced one day.. sigh...) get sore/stiff depending on what my activity is. But bit by bit, some massage, ice/heat or mostly just plain rest seems to take care of it. But I do notice I'm stronger and less affected by these little niggles as the months roll by. I'm 23 months now and the THR is not noticeable to me anymore... it is part of me.. I can't tell the difference between my left (THR) and right now... soft tissues and muscles are still an ongoing battle.. but I´m old, so there you go!
My journey and doubts have mirrored yours in many ways, I'm glad to see you're doing well!!
¡Poco a poco mi amigo!

Morning my wonderful hippy friends quick question why is it now my replacment hip is feeling amazing is it that my other hip and knee both ache even though I have had a x-ray at the end of August and the joint was fine with plenty of healthy cartledge and joint space and it's not arthritic but my physio has said its pretty normal after your operated hip recovers to get a adductor tear/strain (which a sports therapist has said I have) and also he said its normal to get ache on the other side groin,knee once my operated hip is getting there and i have more trust in it as the pressure will go back on the opersted hip just wanted to know people's thoughts if they had this after there replacement recovered?

Good AM Sponge,
Yeah I have different aches & pains but I'm 72 so most of mine is more than likely arthritic pain. Even though I'm totally recovered & my hip feels great I still get pain in my other ankle here & there.
Could just be way you are walking now that your replaced hip is feeling better???
I'm sure others will have some advice for you.

I think this is something we all experience during recovery, @Spongebob, as our bodies adjust to the new alignment created by the new hip.

Remember that, prior to surgery, as the joint deteriorated, your whole body had to shift itself to ease the hip pain. Your were probably favoring the leg or limping or other adjustment . We live with that bad alignment for so long that, when the hip is fixed and our alignment is corrected, all the surrounding tissue has to "relearn" what to do. It does get better. It just takes time.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the new hip!

Happy to know you're feeling great and as our fellow Bone Smartie have said, your body is just readjusting back to normal after all that time picking up the slack for your bad hip.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom