TKR SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2

Hello @SpaceGirl
Such a wonderful update that you took the time to share. I’m sure those following behind you will be encouraged by how normal life can feel less than a year post op. I guess the advantage to recovering during a pandemic with the lockdowns and restrictions, is that you’ve probably not missed out on as much as you would have during a pre-Covid recovery.

Your sweet sentiment in regard to BoneSmart is appreciated as is all of the encouragement you’ve offered others on the forum. Thank you! You're in good company since I believe the majority view the advice and support found on BoneSmart valuable and reassuring as they embark on their healing journey.

Wishing you all the best! :)

Thank you for sharing your story. I think it is so helpful to see your month by month progress.

G'day, everyone here.

At just over 4 weeks post-op, I was searching for "TKR Urine Output" to investigate what I consider to be excessive urine output overnight, and came across this thread. Signed up and here I am.

G'day, everyone here.

At just over 4 weeks post-op, I was searching for "TKR Urine Output" to investigate what I consider to be excessive urine output overnight, and came across this thread. Signed up and here I am.
Welcome to BoneSmart! If you haven't already go ahead and start a thread for yourself so you can ask questions and document you recovery. I hope you're doing well!

I rarely have any pain these days, some stiffness on occassions when waking, but usually only after an strenuous day the day before. Sometimes it is so easy to forget that last year at this time (before the pandemic really hit) I was in such pain that I could barely walk. While this pandemic has thrown us all for a loop, it was the push I needed to get my surgery done and I am very thankful for that. It's given me my life back, I can do so much more now and can't wait to walk the beach again without pain! I also very thankful for this forum, without it, I would have been lost and reading horror stories on facebook scared @!#*less! So thank you to everyone who posts and gives advice, even when your outcome isn't all roses, you still inspired me and continue to do so! Have a wonderful weekend fellow bonesmarties!

I haven't been around here much so I missed this update when you made it. You did a really good job of putting into words some of the things I've been going through. I could always walk, but the pain was nearly constant. Now, it is gone. I have started walking but I don't know about 10,000 steps. Sounds like I have work to do! :)

Glad you are doing well.

Welcome to BoneSmart! If you haven't already go ahead and start a thread for yourself so you can ask questions and document you recovery. I hope you're doing well!
Yep, did that already, on Monday. Now to start filling in some details.

Last edited:
Good Evening! Here I am 10 months and a couple days post op and taking names and kicking booty! lol It's crazy how time just flies by and you forget you had a major life changing surgery! I mean I know I did, but I swear most days I don't even really think about it. I've been working a bit more lately and subbed for a class that was upstairs at work the last couple of weeks. I dreaded it at first but now it's getting easier and my stamina for the stairs is getting better. I can go up soo much easier now than before, I don't even think about it, just out of breathe haha for being out of shape (but hey I've lost 15lbs since Jan!). Going down is getting a little easier, I go foot over foot rather than one leg at a time but it still feels awkward a little bit. I am sure over time it'll get there though, but probably not before summer break :D oh well there is always next year!

I've been walking with my husband several times a week, we aim for 5 days but don't always get it, I usually hit over 10K steps a day, walking anywhere from 30 mins to 60 mins when we do, and usually through the the day I hit over 5 miles sometimes more. I want to work on some more quad strengthening though besides walking and may start with some squats, but not deep ones!

Hope everyone is doing well, just wanted to drop and say to keep working if you are in the early days of recovery. It seems to get worse before better but when you turn that corner onto the "this wasn't so bad side" you'll be rocking (or should I say walking??) along in no time!

What a great report. I had my left knee done the day before you so great to follow your progress. Hurray for the weight loss. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
@Bikeknit thank you, it's been a long process getting my mind in the right mindset, but I am trying. I have a long ways to go in regard to losing more, done it before but I need to do it for my health and my family. I hope you are doing well in your recovery as well? I was so ready to get it done but kept pushing it off for way too long. Life changing!!

Yes, go carefully with the squats even though you are a year out. There may be other ways to strengthen your quad that are a bit gentler. As you've learned from tkr, if something is too tough on the joint, back off and try again later or try something else.
Great job on being active and the weight loss.:friends:

:yahoo: :yahoo: Happy 1 Year Kneeavesary to my Lefty! :yahoo::yahoo:

Hard to believe it's been a year! What a crazy year it has been on top of recovery you add in covid crazy lol and let's just say I am thankful and grateful to been able to have it done when I was already out of work and didn't really end up missing any!

My knee is doing awesome! I rarely think about it these days, stairs are easier and easier, and will continue to be I am sure. We went on vacation to Florida for 11 days and I walked well over 54 miles during 9 of those days, the other was travel days. My feet hurt like crazy but not my knee! I didn't even remember to take pre-walk meds lol so I guess that's pretty good.

I just want to say again how thankful I am for this forum and the fab members. You all are a great resource and I recommend it to everyone who I find is going to need a knee replacement. I will continue to check in and hope to follow along with some others recoveries as well.

@SpaceGirl Wow it is wonderful to hear that you are doing so well! Your Florida trip sounds like wonderful fun.

Thanks for your kind words and continued support for BoneSmart. We sincerely appreciate hearing this :flwrysmile:

glad you are done with surgery, hope the nausea passes soon. I was only a tad queasy my first afternoon. had a good steak dinner at the hospital and kept it all down

SpaceGirl, you are the light at the end of my tunnel. Can’t wait to get there.
Congrats on your Kneeversary!
:flwrysmile::wave:

Way to go, SpaceGirl! You are living, WALKING proof of what BoneSmart can do! Thanks for these words of cheer!

All the advise in bonesmart has really helped me in my recovery (RTKR April 21)but it’s the continued updates from great people like you @SpaceGirl that are the icing in the cake ……

I’ve just read though your posts and it’s brilliant to see such a hopeful pain free future !!!

thank you for keeping us all updated.

@SpaceGirl I passed out in my bathroom the day after my first TKR. I think it was dehydration…I hope you’re up and about soon!

Take care.

PS have you been to Space Camp?

Thank you for posting updates--it really means a lot. Most of just disappear after a while without much notice--we just get busy with our other lives. And the readers just have to assume that it all went well. It's so nice to have someone return and affirm this. I have heard that TKRs can be life-transforming. You are living proof!

Dropping by a few days after my 2 year kneeaversary and just wanted to say hi! I am doing awesome these days, working full time, in school full time, about a year and half to go (Dec 2023) and then I'll get to full time teach! I am so thankful I had these surgeries done and out of the way so that I am ready to work on my feet all day without the knee pain.

I can't believe it's been such a life changing surgery. I mean I am in awe of how well I am doing now compared to 2017 before my right knee surgery and 2020 before my left one. I only wish I could have done them sooner, and now that they are both done and I am years out, I can see how little I was living life. Yes I was/am young to have had to have knee replacement (40 and 43) and honestly I needed it before then but it took that long to get a dr to listen to me about the pain I was in. SO if you are reading this and you're in pain, the quality of your life is not what it should be, and even, especially if you are young, go seek a second, third, or fourth opinion! I've had knee issues since I was a kid, progressively got worse as a young adult in my 20's (told I had arthritis at 20) and yet no one wanted to listen to me on how bad it was. I was hobbling, especially in the winter, or after a long day of work, working retail, on my feet 8 hours a day no less. There were nights I would just sit and cry in bed because the pain was so bad. So don't let a doctor tell you, just lose some weight, because that is not the source of all issues, or brush you off. Ask to see an orthopedic doctor who specializes in knees and not rely on your gen practitioner to be the all knowing one.

I keep saying I will try to stop by more often, but it's hard. Life is in full speed these days, my oldest graduated from college in May, she starts grad school in August. She will likely be getting married next fall 2023. My middle is a senior this coming year, my youngest is going into 7th, and there there is me who is in college full time, heading into my senior year, then student teaching in fall 2023 and graduate in Dec 2023. So I know life will be crazy busy, but I will check in when I can. Hope you are all doing well, hope I can swing through some threads and catch up!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jbrmoto
Recent bookmarks