Bilateral TKR So very happy!!

Hi everyone - Here's an update on my progress.

I'm just about 5 weeks in now and I think I can see that corner that people talk about. I am actually enjoying this recuperation now. I have found a few things to occupy me, and my sister in New Zealand sent me 5 seasons of 'Call The Midwife' which I am really enjoying. I have always found watching TV boring but not now.

Pain is minimal and I am still taking my pain meds for now, I go for 3 or 4 gentle walks each day, do a few knee slides, and I have ordered online a set of bike pedals to start doing some rotations. Hopefully they will arrive soon. I also have started doing a few light housework duties. (I secretly vacuumed the house today while my husband was out). I can bend both knees just over 100 - and I am happy with that.

My head space is so much better than it was - the tears seems to have dried up and my attitude is good. I am so glad now that I did this. I must admit that I had my doubts a couple of weeks ago. Of course I haven't forgotten that this is a roller coaster ride but for now I am extremely happy.

I just want to add how wonderful this forum is. I think I have read just about everything on here. So thanks to you all for all your inspiration.
 
Sounds like you're coming along well! The things we do when our husbands are not home. My husband is very supportive and watches me carefully. Any time I took a walk outside he was nearby to be sure I was alright. One day when he wasn't home I felt like taking a walk, so I did. A stray cat came by to say hello and walked with me a bit, I said to the cat, don't trip me, if you do I'll never be allowed out alone again! All was well and I felt quite proud of myself.
 
What a wonderful report! I'm so glad to hear you're "enjoying" your recovery. I know what you mean, though. My recovery was pretty problem-free after the first few weeks. Not exactly fun, with there still being some pain and swelling and that awful energy drain, but not too bad either. Just kind of pretty good for now, and it keeps getting better. It's so good to hear that a recovery is going well!

Reading the advice really does help, doesn't it? When the inevitable unpleasant things happen, it's helpful to have some context: "Oh, that's what this is. I read about this." And then move forward.

I've heard great reviews of "Call the Midwife." It's on my Shows to Binge Watch list.
 
I found that the first month, I just sat and looked at the TV, hardly absorbing hardly anything! Reading was out of the question! At your 5 weeks out, you are doing really well! Getting rid of those blues is a huge improvement and makes you feel so much better.

Following the guidelines has certainly benefited your recovery, as it will everyone's! keep up the good, easy work!
 
Sounds like things are looking up for you. :)
 
Call the Midwife is binge worthy and would definitely keep your mind off your knee. Once I started feeling better and able to do a few things around the house I just had to balance the time I was up with the time I was elevating. I could dust the living/dining room, but then sat/elevated for double the time I was up. The same schedule was good for working in the kitchen, vacuuming, changing sheets, etc. I only did a few things a day and wasn't on my legs for more than 15-20 minutes at a time before resting them. My activity was very similar to pre-surgery around weeks 4-6.
 
Hi all. Here is my 7 week update.

I had my follow up with my surgeon a few days ago. I live 3.5 hours away from Perth so it was a bit of a slog to get to my appointment, however, it was good to be away for a couple of days, plus I was able to catch up with two of my children. My surgeon was very pleased and he said unless I have any issues pop up, I had no need to see him again. He said to keep resting, keep doing a few knee bends a day, a bit of walking, but no more than that. I was glad my hubby was with me to hear that because he is not convinced that the Bonesmart way is right, and now he knows it is.

So next week I am going to ease back into work again, just doing a few half days. But I have just one issue - I haven't quite managed the art of getting on and off a regular toilet yet (I still use a commode at home). I'm quite worried about using the loo at my business, I think I will have to just 'hold on' until home time.

I am very pleased with my progress, I am a bit disappointed that 7 weeks of not doing much, eating way too much rubbishy food, has caused me to gain a few kilos. But interestingly, now I have two super straight legs, my body shape has changed and many people have commented that I look slimmer - I just nod and say thanks.

Well I have no more to add except to say if anyone is contemplating bilateral replacements, go ahead and do it. Get it over and done with. It's not so bad at all.
 
You are lucky your surgeon believes in the Bonesmart way! I wish more did!

Be very careful using low toilets! At 4 months post op we went away for the weekend and all the toilets in our friend’s house were low, and there was very little within reach for me to grab or push against to help me get up. I struggled all weekend. By the time I got home I could hardly bend my leg.

It took about 2 months for my bend to start improving again! I never dreamed that weekend would cause such a drastic set back.!

I have purchased a portable raised toilet seat to take with me when visiting houses where I know I will need one, I sure don’t want to go through that experience again!

It may be a bit embarrassing to take this with me, but better that than hurting myself again! I am planning to sew a tote bag to carry it in so it’s not obvious what’s in the tote!
 
It may be difficult and very tiring to go back to work so early. I held off for 12 weeks and then went back to mornings only per my OS instructions. Twelve weeks was his recommendation from the start, but I thought I could return at 8 weeks. Even at 12 weeks my leg became swollen from being down all morning so I spent the afternoons elevating and resting.
 
Just read all the way through your thread for the first time. You are having a great recovery - I love reading success stories. :yes!: We all have had the lows, the upward climbs and the peaks that go with this surgery so there are lots of folks here who understand and have been in similar situations as whatever you have and will face.

I'm retired and didn't have to go back to work after surgery, but I know that it was more than 12 weeks before I would have been able to. I'm glad you are easing into it by working only a few half days the first week. As for the toilet, don't hesitate to use the handicapped stall if there is one and if not, the portable raised seat that @Jockette suggested is an option. It's not the easiest thing, but I've also planted my cane centered in front of me and pushed down on it as I stood up when there was no other assistive device. Wishing you continued successes as you navigate through your recovery.
 
It's been 12 weeks since my two new knees came into my life. Everything has been fairly smooth with the exception of a couple of issues. The first is that once I returned to work full time, I discovered my knees probably needed a lot more icing than what I had time to do. My job requires me to be up and down to customers all day so after 8 hour days, I really felt it. So I felt that I regressed a little once I started back at work.

The other issue was that once I got rid of walking aids, I developed a real swagger. My gait was completely out. I realised that I needed to do something when one of my lovely children started making Pingu noises everytime I walked past. So I have an appointment with a physio next week to see if I can do some exercises to fix it. Oddly, if I walk clenching my butt muscles, I seem to walk straight. But that's not a comfortable way to get about. Hopefully there is an easier way.

I still haven't managed to get rid of the commode. Luckily where my business is, I have a park across the road which has disabled toilets in it, so that's where I have to go, when I have to go.

Otherwise, it's all fairly sweet. I love it how when I walk about, my knees feel strong and I can walk up inclines and steps with no effort whatsoever.
 
I found walking on a treadmill at first (only about 5-10 min) with handles helped my gait and using a cane until my gait worked itself out was helpful also. It really took a great deal of concentration to walk without rocking like a penguin.
 
Hi @Dianna_WA - good to find another person from WA!:wave: I am in Baldivis and will be having this second surgery at SJOG Murdoch again.

I have read through your posts and admire you having both knees done at once. Lots of good reasons to do so but I know it was not the option for me.

Your post today about discovering your knees probably needed a lot more icing than what you had time to do, reminded me of when I first went back to work after my RTKR. I brought some ice packs in and put them in the freezer in the staffroom. I would then put one in an elasticated knee wrap and wrap it around my knee. I was still able to walk around if need be but when sitting would raise my knee on a stool under my desk. On the few days I didn't do this, I really paid the price with pain and swelling. Maybe an idea you could consider. :)

Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @jude2014 Yes, you're the first person I've seen from WA on here. I live in Katanning and had my surgery at Hollywood. I did take some ice packs with me to work, but every time I would make myself comfy and get the ice packs out, something would happen and I would need to be on my feet again. Once I get home I spend a quite a bit of time with my feet up though, and luckily I work for myself so I can chat to customers from my office chair if need be. In hindsight, I should have had more time off work, but too late to go back now.
 
My portable raised toilet seat is a huge success for me, I’m so glad I bought it. I took it to my son’s yesterday, in the denim tote I made for it and no one asked what was in my tote. I kept it in the corner of the hallway, just next to the bathroom door and no one commented on it there. It was a huge help!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom