Guest viewing is limited

THR So much pain after 8 months

There is no one test to determine if you need a revision, there are many causes, a good surgeon specializing in revisions/complex joint reconstruction will know what tests to perform.
You can start your search with our surgeon locator link at the top of the page.
 
I agree I feel like I’m doing all of the work just like I did to find out what was wrong in the first place. This has been a long and frustrating process. I have had 2 injections with no relief. So just not sure what else to do. I figured I would seek out a revision specialist and actually called one today and I am waiting for an apt. I read on here some advice that Josephine had given someone that was having some of the same issues to have the injection that I actually had. It helped a day or so and did loosen up the muscle but I am not sure that it is the muscle that is causing it. So now just trying to figure out why it is still hurting and whAt it could be.
 
:hi: @Stellamac
Hated to see you back on the forum hurting...:sad:
Seeing a revision surgeon for a second opinion doesnt necessarily mean you will need a revision.
Hopefully he can pinpoint the issue and make a plan on how to alleviate the problem.
If he can rule out any problem with the prosthesis, then you at least know what you are dealing with.

:fingersx: for you to get answers soon.
 
Hello @Stellamac
Hopefully you get a call back soon and you can get another opinion on all.
Wishing you comfort as you wait, we're here for you..so please stay in touch. :console2:
A peaceful Wednesday to you.
 
ThanK you and I will stay in touch. I thought maybe it was time for a 2nd opinion so this has given me some encouragement to do so.
 
Good! We'll be here and we care. Good luck with first steps toward resolution.
@Stellamac
 
@jean1702 @Hip4life After my surgery I had PT and it was intense from the start. During my PT I could tell that my muscles began getting tight. My groin pain was some better after my surgery but the PT made my muscles in my thigh and leg very tight. I tried dry needling while in PT and it helped some. So that started everything. I still limp and have constant pain around the hip and thigh.. since my surgery I have had at least 6 injections on diff areas to see if it would help. I felt like a guinea pig and no one knew why I was still in pain. After the last MRI the doctor told me that because of the inflammation around hip, and the tendionapathy that my hip is not stable which causes my walking to be off balance. So the injection is supposed to calm the pain and I guess be for diagnostic purposes so that I can do the physical therapy. I just hope that it will help. Have either of you ever heard of a tendon release? I am so over trying all these new things that are preventative or may or may not work. I just want to get a quick fix so the pain will stop. I had the pain in the butt that wrapped around my thigh and groin that ran down to my ankle before I got my hip replaced. The only pain that stopped for a brief time was in the groin. But I had the other pain since 2015. I have had so many tests, a ton of injections and 2 rounds of PT before my surgery. Nothing has worked. I am so sorry to be so long winded, I just wish they could tell me why I am still in pain. I just wonder if the MRI I had would have shown a tear of any kind. Before my surgery I had a torn labrium and retroversion and the only test that showed any of it was an arthogram. The MRI never showed it. I would love to connect with someone who has these same issues to see what they are trying. So @Hip4life the injection in the tendon you had helped? I do hope that @jean1702 you find answers bc the not knowing is the worst part. Doctors don’t believe you and make you feel like it is in your head. Thank you to both of you for your comments, it is comforting to know I am not alone.
 
@Stellamac I certainly understand your situation but didn’t want to hijack jean1702 thread. I see we had our THR surgeries just one month apart. I did have a complete tendon release in Nov 2019 after an injection temporarily relieved my groin (IP tendon) pain. My choice was release or revision since the tendon was rubbing on the cup part of the prosthesis. I chose to try a complete release first and it was successful. It looks like you’ve also tried the injection albeit without sustainable relief. What was the next option offered? I’d be happy to answer any questions if I can. This is a tough row to hoe if you don’t have a compassionate doc that’s willing to stay the course with you to find a solution. Let me know how I can help. ❤️
 
@Stellamac I certainly understand your situation as well but don’t want to hijack jean1702 thread. Quick answer: I did have a complete tendon release in Nov 2019 after an injection only temporarily relieved my groin (IP tendon) pain. I tagged you on your original thread also so we can further discuss specifics there if you like.
 
My hip surgeon gave me the first injection after my surgery which was on the ilio psosa which really did not give me much relief. BC my pain seemed to be more in glute area and down my leg and knee he thought maybe I had radiculapathy. So that began another round of tests and injections. I had an epidural injection on my SI, L4, L5 nerves and I got about 5 days of relief. So then I had a laminectomy decompression surgery. This did not help the pain either. So that is why they did the special MRI which showed that I had Trochanter Pain Syndrome and Tendonitis. I have a lot of inflammation in the hip. So I guess this makes my hips very unstable. My spine doctor doesn’t explain things very well and I feel doesn’t really listen. My hip doctor always did. After all those test and injections that is what they say I have. I just was wondering if there was any type of tear could it be missed on a MRI? The suggestion at this time is to have another injection in the hip (not sure of where or what) and to do PT. I feel like PT is truly how I got to this point. They say the muscles Are not strong enough to stabilize everything so walking makes it worse. I really don’t know what else I should do. Did you have any of these issues?
 
Wow. Like I said, it can be complicated sorting this out. I’m not sure what trochanteric syndrome with tendonitis is exactly. I had my iliopsoas tendon completely released off the lesser trochanter. The OS that did it said that was the way he treated all THR patients that had chronic IP tendonitis from cup impingement to lessen complications from a partial release up by the capsule. I also had some soreness in the glute when I could finally exercise again after that nasty groin pain was relieved. I thought it could be piriformis related. My outside thigh was also sore. I had a digital exercise program for post hips that suggested foam rolling the IT band on outside of thigh as well as deep glute for piriformis. Even though it took a little bit to coordinate the movements and it was fairly intense pressure at first, it did help with the soreness. I never did take any more injections or had any other imaging done. My routine hip xrays showed some degeneration of the SI joints and spine so my OS said to let him know if they became an issue. Once I got the tendon taken care of my pelvis and back aches settled. I also discovered I had pelvic floor/prolapse issues that I had surgery and PT for that further helped everything else connected to the pelvis. I’m like a new woman now. There’s much more complex Inter-relationships between muscles, pelvis, hips, and spine than I ever imagined. It’s like the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg? I don’t know if that gives you any more insight but it’s what I have been experiencing and working on for the past two years. However, once I got the tendon taken care of, I was finally able to get back to my regular activities. It is so hard not to get too much “monkey brain” about all of this. It has its “grieving” element, too, when your best hopes of just being able to forget about that hip aren’t realized. That’s why support now is so important. We’re here when the family and friends get a little battle weary. ❤️❤️❤️
 
You are absolutely right, it seems they are all related. I am just not sure if I have some type of impingement because it feels like a pitching at the top of my hip. My outside thigh is also very sore. I feel like I am always dragging my leg when I walk too. My knee cap looks like it has moved to the inner side of my knee which is also very swollen. The pain Is all the way down to the outer part of my heel. I just feel like they have diagnosed me incorrectly. Could tendonitis really cause all of this. Since I have the fatty atrophy I get nervous about having more injections. Did you ever see a revision specialist. I feel like when surgeons complete surgery, they do not want to admit they did anything wrong so going to one of them would not be a route I would want to take. I plan to try the PT and if that doesn’t work that would probably be my next option. I have read about what you had done was it a quick or long recovery?
 
I had an OMG moment about the dragging of the leg because it brought back that symptom I’d forgotten about. I can’t tell you how many times I “tripped over” my right foot/leg because I just couldn’t clear it the way my brain thought it should! Luckily I only went down once, at work, and that was tripping up the stairs. I fell on my knees at the top landing. I was bruised but okay. I thought this has got to stop before I really hurt myself. But I digress. 1. My original OS is also a revision specialist. Their practice is known for that in this geographic region. I realize now how lucky I’ve been that he’s always gone out of his way to help me even finding me an arthroscopic specialist outside of his practice. I certainly can understand your wanting to see someone different. My OS did offer me revision if I couldn’t find or didn’t want an alternative. 2. The recovery was very quick and straightforward. For the complete release there were no restrictions (other than surgical site care) or PT. If I had needed to, he would have released me in a week to go back to work. I took 2 and was still a little stiff and sore but it was manageable. I had a fairly physical job. I had a 3 week post op with the PA and she sent me on my way as I was doing great. The only real time constraint was getting my strength and ROM back. I’d say I’m at 95% ROM. I think it’s a combination from the long wait for diagnosis of OA pre THR and from the other muscles filling in the IP’s role. In any case, that 5% doesn’t impact anything of significance and better yet, I rarely, if ever, trip anymore. I know. It can be so confusing when you don’t know for sure. You have to go with your next best option then the next which it appears you’re doing. It can be such a painfully (literally and figuratively) slow process not to mention the cost in time and resources. I offer you encouragement and support until the right answer is discovered. Hopefully, soon. ❤️
 
I also have trochanter bursitis and tendinitis. I have hip pain and still cannot sleep on left side, pain on the outside of my thigh, and pain at the top of my incision. I've had 1 injection in my hip, that seemed to help the IT band pain, but I also trip sometimes. I'm 6 months and 1 week out tomorrow. I can't lean forward without feeling a pinch, or maybe it's a sticking sensation, the outside of my thigh is still numb, and I too have muscle pain. I purchased a treadmill in Feb to help me with my gait, as I can leave it flat, and walk at my own pace. This does seem to help but I do still have hip pain. I've also had 2 microdiscectomies, one last Jan., and then my hip in Oct. 2020 definitely was a trying year. I hope they can find what is causing your issues! Keep posting so I can follow you and maybe I can figure out what my issue is as well. Take care!!!
 
Sorry guys I just started again on bonesmart and do not get the alerts thAt I have messages so I get busy and forget. Thank u both for your post, it seems both of you have felt much of what I have. I think sometimes the unknown is worse than the pain. I have to say sometimes I am way to active and really have not let my hip rest at times but I guess when you are use to being active that is easier said than done. So I do lose my balance a lot and luckily i haven’t fallen but i think the reason my leg drags is from pain or that I just never learned from beginning after my hip surgery how to walk correctly. I remember that being so hard not dragging or almost pulling it out while walking. I have read on here in so many places that hips do not need PT and I can definitely attest to that bc I believe that is where my issues started and they never stopped. My muscles got so tight during that time, and now that is the only way to fix it without surgery. I read the physical therapy for the tendinopafhy is 3-6 months. I am willing to do it if it helps, but I just do not want a long term kinda thing, i want a quick fix. I will definitely keep u guys updated and hopefully someone who has some of the same issues will chime in..
 
@hopnfox I did want to say this 3 surgeries in that amount of time, I could not imagine. I had 2019 hip and a 2020 laminectomy decompression in 20 so less than a year apart. Back surgery was way easier than hip for sure! I do hope u find some relief and if PT doesn’t work I would want to have what @Hip4life had. But my spine surgeon when I mentioned to him said that it was definitely not something I wanted to have. But what I have read has good success. I sometimes am very jealous of the people I see on here who have had good success, bc I wish my experience was that way too. I prob would let my other hip go way longer than I did with this one. It was 4 years before they ever figured it out, and then 2 more years in worse pain. I will take my chances next time in waiting until I no longer can.
 
Hello @Stellamac
Hopefully you get a call back soon and you can get another opinion on all.
Wishing you comfort as you wait, we're here for you..so please stay in touch. :console2:
A peaceful Wednesday to you.
Thank u so much. I’m sorry I am just learning how this site works again. I totally did not see your post @Layla
 
I was reading an Article that I felt like might be something that is being overlooked. I have the glute issues, the lateral thigh issues and wide spread pain that is hard to explain to doctors bc it is in different places at different times. The groin pain is more often than not and feels very deep pain. I am seeing a sports medicine doctor this month, not sure why but will be having a diagnostic injection. I too have a lot of tests that really show nothing and doctors are stomped. So frustrating and it makes you to give up and not try.
 
@Grammy57 i too have had some similar issues. I had my THR in 2019 and have had pain pretty much ever since. I too have seen a spine doctor bc my Hip surgeon thought it could be coming from my back. Some of the nerve issues I was having was coming from compression of L4/L5 but that did not relieve the constant groin pain. It is a tricky situation trying to decipher whether it is continued hip or back. I saw a Sports Medicine Orthopedic just this week who said I am having issues with psosas tendon. He injected it under x ray and for 3 days I have had a little relief. I also have issues with Tronchanter, and glutes which was unfortunately not relieved from that injection. I am currently doing PT which is not helping much either. The doc that I saw said possibly a tendon release. I guess the injection was for diagnostic purposes too. I am not sure now what type of surgeon I would see for that. Hip replacement is a long journey for some but not everyone that I have read about on this site. I hope there is light at the end of tunnel for all of us who are suffering from the Psosa Tendon issues! Wishing you a speedy diagnosis and recovery whatever you decide to do.
 
@Stellamac , I did have the tendon release almost 2 weeks ago. The groin pain is still there but different. I started PT yesterday and was told that the fascia was very tight. The process, for now, is to loosen things up and strengthen things also. She was pleased with my back muscles and glutes and my range of motion was fairly good also. My next visit with PT is tomorrow. I think this will be a slow process but I can already "feel" the difference. I'm very hopeful.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom