Guest viewing is limited

TKR So Glad to be HERE.

Good to know that 80 degrees is fine.

At 3 weeks post TKR
I only take pain meds morning and night plus usually one in the middle of the night.
I am walking comfortably with a walker as far as I care to go without becoming fatigued.
I can wash dishes and put them away
I can put laundry in washer, hang on the line, fold and put away with the aid of a wheeled cart.
I can make and strip my bed.
I can make simple meals for myself.
I can get in and out of the house, in and out of the shower, in and out of the car easily.
I would be able to drive if only I wasn't taking those pain meds as my leg is strong enough for an emergency stop. Did not think that could ever be so!
Only some of the incision is completely healed over but steristrips still cover most of it anyway.
Swelling is gone from both legs and right knee doesn't appear to have much swelling. Knees are on the plump side so hard to say what is swelling and what is fat!

All of a sudden it seems like ROM is increasing in leaps and bounds. My right foot is closer to the left when I stand up, when doing heel slides seems like I am getting deeper and when I sit on the side of the bed the right leg seems to be hanging down rather than out. I won't know if this is so unless I get measured tomorrow though. I seriously doubt any ROM increase is due to any stretching exercise but rather due to less swelling and there is less swelling because of icing and not overdoing!

Been going on errands for the past few days. Not as long as the department store trip though, got a haircut one day and went to the library for 1/2 hour the next day. Been going very well. I come home and ice after of course.

Tried out my pedaler today. Went back and forth for a couple minutes without straining and it was sort of fun and sort of scary. A lot more fun than heel slides for sure. Guess I will have to use my arms if I want to get any actual exercise though.
 
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well! So happy for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks, so far so good!

Had home PT today. He couldn't find the measuring thing but according to his high tech file folder my leg was easily at 90 degrees. I was able to do all the exercises without tiring. Leg was trembling for the first set of straight leg lifts but figured it out for the other two sets and no more trembling. Perhaps quad lag is finally getting better?

Then he had me use the cane. I didn't think I was quite ready for it but I actually did pretty well. Concentrating hard I could look forward rather than down and keep weight on the right leg rather than the cane but after the 400 foot walk I was completely wasted. I think I was holding my breath near the end of the walk as well, concentrating far too much. I am quite sure I haven't overdone it, just exhausted myself.

I will warm up and do a little cane walking tomorrow but am not ready for just the cane for a while yet. I may not have been in any pain before the TKR but I was not walking properly with or without the cane or with any sort of endurance so I am nearly caught up to where I was before the surgery 3.28 weeks ago when I could barely walk to the back of Costco and out again using the cart as a walker. From here on out is where life is better because of TKR!

After PT left I was back on ice, took a Percocet and taking a nap until... daughter reminded me this was our Big Night Out and since the recliner equipped movie theater hadn't anything worth seeing we HAD to go out to eat. So we did. Been 3.28 weeks since we have gone out much less had sushi and it tasted so good! The pickled ginger tasted extra spicy and the salmon skin roll was to die for. I did wait for a booth to open up so I could put my right leg up and that really paid off as I made it back to the car, to the house, took care of business and am back with ice, under my blankie with my little buddy Ginger more or less gracefully. NO CPM for me tonight and I hope a really good night's sleep.
 
Sounds like a great day......it is hard sometimes to keep in mind that that implant is strong and can support you....it's is everything around it that is recovering as long as you are stable walking is great to build things back up.....keep icing to control swelling and you will continue your excellent progress.

Vinny
 
You are doing remarkably well! Congratulations!! Keep icing and elevating and let the knee dictate what you can do---do not be afraid to take some time off and let your knee and body rest.
 
My new knee is 6 weeks old today!

Am now taking the cane when going out but in house going it alone. I still have the walker set up for getting up in the morning but haven't needed it for that first mad dash of the day for a couple days now. I'm wobbly when I just wake up, good to have it handy if needed.

I HATE heel slides with a passion. Something about them just doesn't sit right with me. I prefer holding my thigh up and allowing the foot to drop [to 70 degrees just doing that] and sitting rolling both feet on a PVC pipe and holding then to get maximum flex move my rear end forward. It is easier to get into the car and I can dry my right foot off easier than I could before this surgery although flex is supposedly less, 90 versus 110. Anyway I do some sort of flexing before getting up every time and it sure seems to be easier day by day whether that gizmo says I am doing better or not. Oh, somebody mentioned seeing the bottom of their foot? I can too! Still not very close and at quite an angle but I hadn't seen it for years.

Knee has been extremely bossy at night. It doesn't hurt but it insists on being on top of a stack of pillows or it won't allow sleep. I am allowed to twist around and lay on either side but right leg must be on the pillows. Finally stopped needing the middle of the night percocet. Am going to try to use the Tylenol/ibuprofun cocktail during the day to wean off the oxy but suspect that bedtime percocet is a must for a while longer.

Getting time between the strong stuff means I can drive! I drove 2 miles to the nearest trailhead and took a 'hike' with Ginger. We went 10 minutes down and 9 minutes up. Not sure if the faster return was me feeling steadier going up or Ginger stopping to sniff less. The drop is similar to that of a driveway but being a dirt road and longer it looked quite intimidating.

Been going on regular errands. Went to Costco and sat in snack area with a frozen yogurt while DD did the shopping then I went to the register to pay. Not much walking really but I know from before this surgery that simply walking to the back then out is a whole lot of walking and we had parked at the far side of the parking lot under shade as all the handicap parking spots were full. Gone for walks all the way around the block and even to the local mailbox. Did finally get to the movies and that recliner was too comfortable. I fell asleep several times, waking with a big snort. Very embarrassing as the theater was quite full. Theater has stairs but now that it has recliners there are just 3 steps per flight darn it. I could alternate feet going up but not down, no surprise considering my flex.

Housework is up and down. I haven't had enough gumption to get the vacuuming done again but laundry and cleaning the bathroom are okay? Those are done instead of a walk and I am down and iced up right after. Still feel too wobbly to garden but I did do poop pick up! Made dinner the other night, just omelet with leftovers and I didn't wash up but that was still 10-20 minutes standing which is so hard on new knees.

The ice packs are getting a good workout still, I ice at least twice and usually 3x a day so they are rarely completely frozen and stiff. The incision is nearly healed over with only some very slight scabbing and dry skin. So far no raised purple/red nastiness but early days yet.
 
You are doing phenomenally well....I found walking to be the very best activity for my knees....those little aha moments when you see the bottom of your foot and find it easier to get in and out of the car are all part of the process you are going through.......great job and great attitude.

Vinny
 
Except for sleeping and not enough flexion things are going pretty well here.

Went to the doctor today and he was sort of shocked I had no complaints. Usually 6 weeks out he says there is a lot of whining going on but other than needing more pain meds for night time and wishing I had more flex I am a happy camper. I am much more comfortable than before surgery and the end of the tunnel can be seen where before March 23 things looked pretty dismal.

After we got home from the 60 mile round trip to the doctor's office with me driving [I do better driving than being a passenger] I iced for an hour then took Ginger for a real walk, all of .8 miles! Big compliment from Ginger, she pooped for me. When I first started walking her she wouldn't even pee. Iced down again of course and enjoying my tired muscles.

Tomorrow we are going to Huntington Library for my mother's day treat. I adore botanic gardens and my children will relent and go with me on my birthday and on mother's day. Daughter called and reserved a wheelchair for me so we ought to have a great time with not too many rest stops. If gardens prove too annoying to visit there are always the art galleries and library.

Have returned to my previous outpatient physical therapist and it is going well. The massages and expert stretching have improved my flex and overall comfort in just one session. So much better than just doing the exercises on the sheet! Next week I get to go back to working on the things I was doing before, balance, gait and strength. Hoping to get on the exercise bike as well but all in good time.
 
Great to hear you're doing so well! :thumb:
 
Wow! Wonderful report. I'm so happy for you. I laughed about your doggie poop story. That sounds like something my dog would do. They have such fun ways of expressing good and bad to us, don't they! :puppysmooze:
 
Wow such a good story. Funny dog story. I needed a laugh. So glad your doing well. Recovery is hard. And times can be frustrating but,we all have this sight to get us through. I seem to be doing a lot snooze in day. More like cat naps. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Most distressing issue has been itching. In preop I started wheezing after the knee was washed with chlorhexidine. Took away the blanket and washed the knee, wheezing soon stopped. Was itchy as soon as I woke up in recovery and even after showering however. I hope it was the chlorhexidine antiseptic because otherwise it is Hydrocodone as I used Oxycodone before without a problem. No Hydrocodonr for a day and rashes have calmed down so will try it tomorrow. ES Tylenol is quite nice though.

When I had a knee arthroscopy in the past, I was given hydrocodone and it made me itch like a crazy person. I talked to my daughter about it -- who is also a physician. She said many people react to hydrocodone by itching. It's not an allergy and generally isn't dangerous but it is terribly annoying. She did say that benadril sometimes helps so you might try that.

What a bummer….
Roxie
 
I don't know if this will help. Or if I'm aloud to post this. But I use either Avon skin so soft.
I itch like crazy.
Or this Vaseline in a tube it's like a lotion. It helped me. And I did not have to use a lot.
I use it often. I try not to get on my scar. But when my scar itches. I just barley rub it or tap it or put cool wash rag on it.
I know when the glue was gone,them internal stitches drove me mad.
Best of luck. Happy healing.
ATTACH=full]31440[/ATTACH]





FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] So Glad to be HERE.
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1431312852.537978.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 223
Dangerous or not I have allergies and go straight to scratching itches. How itching is better than pain escapes me as well. Glad that it isn't an allergy and isn't a life threatening side effect but I can no more sleep if itchy than if in pain! I was prescribed Benadryl and understood the reason I needed to take it. It didn't help the itching much AND it made me super loopy in combination with the Didlaudid. Sure wish I could use it as I have seen Benadryl help both my children and my dogs get through hives to plain itchiness. I guess all opiates can make one itchy, glad the ones in Percocet and Oxycontin aren't causing that reaction. Really glad I asked for a different medication, I did give that one a good trial and it just wasn't for me.

We had a great time at Huntington Library. Got the last handicap spot in the parking lot and the wheelchair was waiting for me. I did get up and walk pushing the wheelchair quite a lot and between having the chair and lots of breaks we were at the garden/library for 6 hours. I drove both ways. True Californian I guess, driving is easier than passengering. Seems like it amounts to a lot of ankle pumps and I get out of the car easier if I drove than if I was a passenger even if I was remembering to do ankle pumps and glut squeezes and all that during the drive. Told my daughter I could put a little pillow under my foot and drive along with her. She didn't think highly of that idea. Something about I am a bad enough back seat driver already?

Today my legs are tired and happy after yesterday. I walked Ginger to the corner and back and tried some weed pulling. Knee didn't think highly of weed pulling so I will just do the one 5 minute session today. Try again tomorrow. Walking Ginger went well though. I carried the cane and didn't even think to use it once.

It is easy to overdo things I love to do so I developed a system last year. I start out by working for 5 minutes, stop and put my leg up for 15 minutes then evaluate whether I ought to work another 5 minutes. Then I increase session time day by day as it goes well. Today, that was definitely it. Considering last week I was much too wobbly to even think about stooping and weeding things are progressing well. After visiting HL I really want to get my sad garden into better shape!
 
Best of luck to you. My kids take it and there asleep or not itching. . Know me on the other hand. Lol Wow makes me wild.

Best of luck to you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
It is easy to overdo things I love to do so I developed a system last year. I start out by working for 5 minutes, stop and put my leg up for 15 minutes then evaluate whether I ought to work another 5 minutes. Then I increase session time day by day as it goes well.

Now that's a really GREAT plan!!! I don't know that we've every had anyone put it in quite that much detail and I just may use your idea with others. It's a keeper!
 
@KYata , we were in the L.A. area in early February and visited the Huntington Library and Gardens with my cousins. We even ate in the teahouse. It was an amazing place.

I hear what you say about the itching -- itching can drive me nuts too regardless of how dangerous it is. I'm glad you've found something that is effective and doesn't cause itching.

It sounds like you are doing great and I hope to hear that it continues!

Roxie
 
After 8 weeks I am
-still have trouble sleeping but not due to pain, knee just isn't comfortable in my favorite sleeping position. Took 3-4 months previously for knee to heal enough for me to sleep on my side, perhaps too early as this surgery was much more invasive.
-still taking Percocet at night as that 0.1 degree of pain inflates to 3 degrees as soon as my head hits the pillow.
-scar still doesn't look healed underneath but some of it is now nice and silvery.
-knee somewhat resembles the other and hasn't gotten grossly swollen lately.
-loving icing and elevating still!
-have been forgetting the cane for short outings.
-not doing much pushing up with my arms to stand now. Guessing that means there is at least 90* of functional flex.
-easily walking .8 miles without any break and don't need the cane for 2/3 of the distance. Knee starts to hyper extend=cane goes to work.

And I can join the overdoing it club now. Not my fault, I was doing a routine water change on the 180 gallon aquarium and one of the pumps decided it needed to be cleaned NOW. That was 10-15 minutes extra of fairly strenuous stooping to pull, clean and reinstall it. At least it did start up again, they won't always. That was on top of a busy day with pedaling 5 minutes, resting 5 minutes for 40 minutes, clothes shopping and going out to eat.

All that was done [except for pump cleaning] as I was so thrilled about my 1/2 hour Saturday hike. I got up after 2 hours of icing/elevation with all muscle groups below my waist sore as if I had been on a good long hike. That felt so good, haven't felt like that since last May. Took it easy on Sunday just in case but I felt fine all day.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom