"Small" Hip Labral tear

Don't be nervous, sweetie, it's only an appointment. I understand it's frustrating and I want to see you obtain relief but you need to find a doctor you like, trust and can work with to bring you the best result, given your situation. It could be a dead end tomorrow, but it's not the end. You'll move forward until you find resolution and we'll be here to support and comfort you whenever you need it.
Hopefully, Jamie will get back with you soon also.
Please let us know how tomorrow goes. Prayers for your comfort.
@fallenstar

@Layla

Very true, thanks. Will do.

Surgeon will be doing arthroscopy, curious, do you know if they usually do lidocaine before they suggest surgery? To see if that is truly the source?

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer, sweetie.
I'm going to tag @Josephine the forum Nurse for you so she can give you an answer.
So please check back periodically. She gets pretty busy, but she'll get to your question.
I hope you're having a nice day!
@fallenstar

@fallenstar - I can share with you the history/progression of my daughter's injury (labral tear and eventual arthroscopy).
July 2017 - fell on hip playing soccer.
Hip pain came on while running.
Dr. visits - xrays (negative) PT commences
September 2017 turns out for HS Swim team. Is able to practice for 2 weeks until hip pain prevents.
Uses crutches for a couple weeks.
October (approx) first visit to Orthopedic surgeon #1. Has MRI done without contrast. MRI technician reads a small labral tear but surgeon believe it is a misread and prescribes more rest and PT.
Fall/Winter - continue on but unable to run/participate sports
Spring - meet with Orthopedic surgeon #2 (same surgeon the did my THR). Thinks it may be bursitis. Reviews prior MRI and also doesn't see labral tear but notes that it can be difficult without contrast. Prescribes stretching, more PT (for bursitis) and heavy noninflammatories.
Late spring - no improvement. next step is shot in bursa.
Early summer - no improvement. Next step is MRI with contrast and a shot directly into the hip to relieve pain.
The explanation was that if the shot gave immediate pain relief it would confirm the issue was the hip joint (likely a tear) along with a better MRI reading with contrast.
Shot provides relief, MRI w/contrast shows a tear, Orthopedic surgeon #2 believe FAI contributed/caused the tear and it was exacerbated by the fall. Without the surgery concern is the FAI will continue to bump against labral tear and likely lead to early arthritis.
August 2 - Hip arthroscopy performed. Successful so far but early days... Pain managed with Tylenol/Ibuprofen (some oxycodone day of outpatient surgery and the next). Labral tear was debrided. Impingement was shaved. Crutches and light weight bearing 1st week. Some unaided walking beginning of 2nd week. 2 very small incisions (can't be more than 1-2 stitches).
Not sure if that answered your question but may help with your decision making...

My DIL suffered some of the same as the member's daughter above did.
It's been ongoing over the course of the past few years and she's 29 now.
She also experienced Hip Arthroscopy with Cam and Pincer Impingements shaved / re-shaped.
She is a lot better. But she maintains she's not 100%. She wanted to buy herself time, hopefully many years before she may need a THR. I guess time will tell.
@fallenstar

@dapplega
I'm sorry to read the news about your daughter. It must have been difficult watching her in pain and dealing with the uncertainty of it all until a decision was made. She's lucky to have you and your attention for detail. I hope the procedure proves to be a success for her long term.

Surgeon will be doing arthroscopy, curious, do you know if they usually do lidocaine before they suggest surgery? To see if that is truly the source?
Not usually. They might before surgery. But it all depends upon your history.

I am going to schedule the cortisone shot, but I am guessing I will end up getting the surgery too. Even though I am not getting a replacement I am grateful for all the great advice about icing, ROM, PT from all on the board.

When is your surgery?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom