PKR Slow, steady recovery....challenging gains in ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw my OS today. No MUA right now because I am continuing to make progress. Just need to go from the current 80° to 90° in a couple weeks. Those of you that pray...Please include me....
Thanks so much for all of your support.

Fantastic news! You can do it. Go 90!!!

On the prayer request, got it.

Sounds like your OS is balancing things properly. I'm sure if you need an MUA from here out it will be the correct decision.

Good progress! :yes!:

@dsc it would be great if you would start your own thread in the recovery area, then we can talk about you more!!!

@dsc it is easy. Go to the blue bar at the top of the page and click on Knee Replacement. A menu will drop down, click on Recovery Forum. When the forum comes up, you will see a black box right under the blue bar that says "post new Thread". Just click on that---name the thread whatever you want and voila---you have your own thread for your recovery.

@Wrangler...thanks for asking. How are you doing after your MUA? I'm hanging in there. Just hit my ten week post op...ROM still low..between 86 and 88. I go through weeks where it improves and weeks where it doesn't. (I did make it all the way around on the recumbant bike) I really do believe that I just still have massive amounts of swelling. I can just feel it.....although the feeling of being swollen is much more evident than the actual appearance. Also having quad issues....lots of spasms that are causing the whole ligament across my patela to shorten .....I am constantly stretching it out. I have to stop walking, relax my quad and reach down and push my kneecap towards the floor to relieve the tightness. I truly believe that if I can get this swelling and quad tightness to go away my ROM would increase drastically quicker. I really don't think I have adhesions so I'm praying that my ROM will keep improving so that I don't have to "find out" if I have adhesions by doing an MUA. Anyone else reading this post have any experiences like I'm having with swelling and quad tightness/spasms?

Yes! @maui! I am experiencing exactly the same issue. However, I don't have a solution. I tried a muscle relaxant which stopped the spontaneous do it when it felt like spasms but I still experience spasm when I deliberately tighten my quad muscle. I did a lot of strengthening prior to surgery, especially legs. I have noticed my quad muscle in the TKR leg has diminished in size. The personal trainer thinks that as I have lost a fair amount of weight in the last three months, that I have also lost muscle. I'm not sure but I increased my protein intake anyway. We are now working on strengthening exercises again, gently. I am eight and a half weeks out. Good luck and I hope you find a solution. If you do please share lol!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Yikes! No idea about the spasms but very familiar with quad tightness - hamstrings too. I find that massage therapy really helps.
I am gradually getting more ROM but still pretty low - measured 64 on my app today. The aftermath of the MUA was very painful. It is finally getting a bit better pain-wise so I am hoping that will help in the elusive ROM game.
I spoke to a PT today who was seeing my mum. She said that she had treated a few cases like mine - super pain sensitive. She told me to continue to take it easy, do my home exercises and all would be good. She had no doubts that I wIll gain ROM once the pain and swelling eases.
I hope your ROM continues to improve. I hope you don't need an MUA.

@maui , Yay for making your first full rotations on the bike!!! When I was where you are in recovery, I had lots of persistent swelling. I still get occasional random edema that is painful and limiting, and scares me every time. Certain activities/exercises make it worse- specifically, for me, straight leg lifts. Conversely, pedaling my exercise bike, however briefly, almost always seems to help. When my knee stiffens up I jump on the bike for a few minutes until the swelling goes down a bit, and I feel better and more "bendy". Do you have an upright exercise bike at home?

@kvhundley - @maui is having the muscle spasms. I just have quad tightness. I am sure she will appreciate the suggestion. I love this forum - so much help and support.

I take mag, too - it has really helped reduce my muscles jerking while sleeping - I forgot last night and it was evident!!

Can anyone relate with me.....? Here's my situation. I am 10.5 weeks post op and my ROM is just under 90. That "tight band" feeling that I had at about 8 weeks is slowly diminishing because I think my swelling is going down. However I'm still so swollen. Like I said in my last post, the swelling is much more evident to me than to the naked eye because I can feel it in there. Also, there is about 10° difference in temperature between my operated knee
and my good knee. I see my surgeon in two weeks so I just want to know if anyone else out there had a similar experience to mine in that you were so swollen and feeling like you would need an MUA and then when the swelling went down you saw drastic changes in ROM. I ask this because I feel my OS will point me in that direction and I want to have the ammunition to make an informed decision to agree or disagree.

I have already had an MUA but I still feel the tight band, have swelling and a hot knee. I am getting stronger though and the pain is not around the clock anymore. I was 59 degrees before my MUA and am just starting to get more bend 3 weeks out - 69 this morning. Good luck and hope you find the answers before your appt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
leonardcotton
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts