• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Slow progress at almost 1 month post op

OP
OP
R

RebcaO61

Country
United States United States
I am hoping they will allow it! Unfortunately we are down 6 staff members due to various reasons so they are ANXIOUSLY Awaiting my return! I might at least try to do computer work ( lots to catch up on!) half days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @RebcaO61 :wave:
Dropping by to say Hi. I hope all is well.
Wondering if you've returned to work and if so, how are you handling it?
Please leave an update, we'd love to hear from you.
A great week to you!

OP
OP
R

RebcaO61

Country
I was approved by the PA on July 31st to return to work tomorrow (Aug 12th) in a phased in schedule starting at 4-5 hours & working up to my 9 -10 hour shifts.However, the surgeon has evidently been swamped after being on vacation & has not SIGNED my return to work form yet required by my hospital before I can come back! So until he signs it & HR receives it, I am still off work. I am ready & hope OS put some extra time on paperwork this weekend! My hip is not painful at all except when trying to lift it without assist getting in & out of the car, & stepping into pants but I can tell it I s improving. I still have a bit of a limp but it is more because of the stubborn fluid & arthritis in my left knee than my hip. I find when the knee really is bothersome, I put compression sleeve on that knee & it helps. I have LOVED getting back into the pool and water walking- No pain at all there!! Easily walking 2-2.5 miles daily.Still mild numbness on my surgical thigh but it too is dissipating. Overall, hip surgery very successful but I more than likely will need a knee replacement in a couple years[emoji2955]! Hope everyone else is enjoying good progress as well! Thanks for checking in!! I will add one of my walking partner for fun! The other is my husband!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
What a great update! Thank you for sharing.
I hope you get the necessary paperwork signed soon for your return to work. It's good to hear you're able to do a Phased Return.

Try heel-toe walking for the limp, if you're not already. I found it to be very helpful in losing mine. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

I love your walking partner. So cute!
Best wishes for a great week. If you get back to work, let us know how it goes.
@RebcaO61

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
What a wonderful pic of your walking partner.:dogwalk:

Sorry to hear your knee might require surgery, but super happy for your hip doing well.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet.:SUNsmile:

OP
OP
R

RebcaO61

Country
I have been doing really well at 4 months post op. I’ve been back to work walking about 8,000 steps in a day at the hospital, sleeping ok & doing daily walks of 1-2 miles with our dog. Then 1 week ago The little strip of “numbness” on the top of my thigh Still present since my THR has become itchy then very sensitive, even light touch feels almost burning like. Then, my WHOLE leg started to feel like deep aching spasm from glute, To thigh, to calf to ankle & inner arch of foot. What is going on? Haven’t been able to sleep for 6 nights due to constant deep ache! Tried ice, heat, epsom salt baths and gentle ultra sound. ( I have my own machine) I Even took some of the Norco I never needed after surgery! I take Celebrex daily & now adding two 625mg Tylenol when at work occasionally. Nothing helps! Pain is present but much easier to handle if I am up walking than sitting or laying down. I have not fallen or had any trauma. My calf & glute & quads feel hard as a rock and constant spasm like! Trying to massage & roll it out doesn’t help but briefly feels good. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @RebcaO61
I'm sorry you're struggling and anxious about this new developement. Since the discomfort you've described is new and not correlating with any particular activity that you've mentioned, it's best you touch base with your surgeon. I'm sure through a call to his office a member of his care team will offer answers, reassurance, or advise you to schedule an appointment. Please stay in touch and let us know what you hear.
Wishing you comfort, answers and speedy resolution.

OP
OP
R

RebcaO61

Country
Saw surgeon this am. Found out he broke my femur during original surgery trying to get the angle of implant correct due to severity of the angle of femur. He showed me the wires that secured the fracture & it is all healed now & hip is good but I do have a slight leg differential still because he just couldn’t get the stem far enough into femur without worse damage. My new pain is severe Sciatica & Butsitis. Gave me a steroid pack & return in 2 weeks for possible injection & maybe MRI of back. Pray the dose pack does the job. So thankful it wasn’t anything requiring a revision!!

kfisher119

Country
I also do not understand why he wouldn't have told you about the break immediately after surgery! It's your right to know that everything did not go exactly as planned and there was a complication. I'd be as mad as.....you know. Hoping the steroids do the trick for you and you're feeling better soon.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Saw surgeon this am. Found out he broke my femur during original surgery trying to get the angle of implant correct due to severity of the angle of femur. He showed me the wires that secured the fracture & it is all healed now & hip is good
I'm sorry you're struggling with pain. I'm assuming it was your OS that diagnosed the sciatica and bursitis and prescribed the steroid? I hope it brings you relief. If not, hopefully the injection will.

I'm puzzled, when you had the x-rays on July 31st at almost two months post op, did you see the wires on the x-ray and question your surgeon then, prompting him to discuss the fracture?

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Have you discussed with your surgeon the possibility that your leg discrepancy may be the cause of this new pain? If not, you need to. Has he measured the actual discrepancy for you? That should be done as well. If your pelvis was tilted prior to your surgery, it may take a few months for things to settle out so you can see where you are. But now that you know of this complication from your surgery, you should be very proactive in pursuing options if you continue to have pain.

By any chance did you have a baseline bone density scan done around the age of 50? That is recommended for all women, but a lot of people don't do it. So, if you haven't had that test, I suggest that you get it done now. Your GP can order it for you. It is important as we age to know if there are bone density issues.

ForumUser

Country
Wow - I would pull the string on the specifics of the operation. That you were not told, with differential post op care instructions is incredible.

If it appears your care fell through the cracks, I would consider a visit to an attorney to review options to ensure this doesn’t happen, again.

OP
OP
R

RebcaO61

Country
This was my FIRST scheduled post op appt with the surgeon himself. I felt glad it happened BEFORE this appointment because appointments are hard to get since he only does clinics on Wednesdays. Honestly, I was doing great until about a week ago! I asked my husband If the surgeon said anything about the fracture when he talked to him after surgery while I was in recovery cause I maybe didn’t remember. ( he really doesn’t like to listen to medical stuff) but he said “No, he said it all went as expected!” I only saw the PA in the hospital & for the 2 week and 8 week appointments. Nothing was indicated that anything was unusual & I was feeling good so I didn’t know to ask! I saw the metal wires then but thought that was how the implant was held in place. Today OS explained they were for the fracture repair. I definitely asked for copy of surgical report today from medical records. We did discuss the leg differential at those Post op appointments and was told “time” was needed for it to “settle in”. It was about 2mm longer and I honestly didn’t think it was going to be a big deal. In pre-op classes I was educated that it is very common for the new hip Leg to feel longer and to be very careful with heel toe walking to prevent “tripping” which I did. I did not think it was unusual- several friends have said theirs felt longer too. I have spoken to PT’s that agree the leg differential is common and they felt with a little manual/spinal adjustment the hips could be better aligned. But watching Al Roker return to work in like 9 days was an eye opener!! Granted my work requires more walking and lifting and squatting but Wow! I was not THAT quick!! The next step is return appointment In 2 weeks with probable injection for the Bursitis of greater Trochanter - which was present before surgery and now ready to be addressed if steroids don’t help the inflammation. Then, an MRI for complete assessment of hip & spine alignment. Hoping most of all I can SLEEP better with Steroids for Sciatica. Thanks for the support.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RebcaO61

Country
By any chance did you have a baseline bone density scan done around the age of 50? Yes I did and it was normal. No issues. No Osteoporosis.

Debru4

graduate
Country
I am really surprised you weren't aware of the broken femur and wires. Your surgeon sounds a bit cavalier in terms of just telling you now, like no big deal. Is his practice so large that he doesn't do the 2 and 6 week follow ups? You seem very calm and so I'm assuming you still have a lot of confidence in your surgeon, and are comfortable with his current advice?

One thing I wanted to mention was that when I asked my surgeon's office for copies of my records, I was given all of his clinic notes, but not the actual surgery notes. I asked them about that and they said that I had to request the surgery notes separately, as the surgery was done at a surgery center. It was easy to do, but I assumed they'd all be together. So you might want to be certain that when you get your records, they are all there. Here's hoping you start feeling better soon. :flwrysmile:

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Never never watch Al Roker post joint replacement. You never get the full picture. Some said the same after his TKR that they felt subpar. What you don't see is the aids off camera and the doc on scene behind the scenes.

I suggest for those contemplating a surgery that they ask to see their xrays before and after. I had full comparisons and since they are computerized and available to anyone with the pass code at the office including the PA whom I saw at ten days and the surgeon at six weeks not having the surgeon present at the office visit does not give the office a pass on withholding x rays.

Not saying the OS did anything wrong during the procedure but full disclosure would have helped allay your many twinges and wonderments of late.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@mainegirl1 love the comment about Al Roker, had friends bring it up to me when we had our Oktoberfest. They didn't say I was behind the power curve but made it sound like that was normal. I informed them was so far from normal!.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jusight77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom