Guest viewing is limited

THR Skatie reporting for Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dilauded seems to be much better for me. The gravol has made me sleepy but probably 100% necessary to ward off the nausea. I made it down the hall and to the dreaded steps! Went up and down twice. I need a crutch instead if the cane. The cane seems so unstable at this point! I am being shamed tho by a lady who had surgery the same day and she is drag racing up and down these halls!! I'll get back out into the floor after lunch. I feel like yesterday was such a waste of a recovery day so onwards now!
 
No comparing your recovery....!! You'll be zipping about soon. I much prefer crutches to a cane...they offer so much more support which you need at the moment to get a good gait! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you get it worked out soon @Skatie I was on Tramadol, you can add Tylenol to that. This worked for me. I'm sure the charge nurse will work out what's best for you. Make sure to get lots of ice, I wrapped my whole hip in it, it really helped. Sending healing vibes to you.
 
Look at you, @Skatie ! Down the hall and up the steps! I wasn't able to do the steps til my third day. We all progress at different speeds. No one recovery is more correct than another. As long as you're taking good care of yourself, that's what matters.
Be well and I hope the Dilauded continues to treat you well. Oh, and it's normal to be very sleepy at this point. Enjoy the rest! :flwrysmile:
 
Morning Nurse suggested I should try Percocet again with gravol at same time. Very cautious about this.
Why are you cautious? It sounds perfectly okay to me.
Delodid(?)
Dilaudid is hydromorphone - about one fifth the strength of morphine but a perfectly good pain killer.
But I feel like I've taken a step back as trying to do the physio and walking without the help of a stronger med is not going so well. @Josephine any advice from your perspective?
Yes, I have some advice - hips actually don't need exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Well back home yesterday after a four night stay. Finally blood pressure got up and they found pain medication that works. I had a great nurse the day before I left and he insisted that I don't leave until the doctors preset discharge orders were chained from Percocet to dilauded and that I have a bowel movement. He said it is so hard to chase everyone down after you leave! I told him that three different times I had asked for stool softener but didn't receive anything. He shook his head, came back with a liquid "potion" and bam, three hours later I was cleared out!! Funny thing was that I was so proud of myself for getting in and out of bed and back and forth to bathroom on my own and when I finally had exhausted myself back in bed my tummy starts rumbling again, so I make another journey back, but guess I got my exercise for the day! Was happy for the four day stay as I really learned how to get in and out of bed on my own, get my leg up on bed by myself and get proficient at the exercises and feel more normal. Now back at home, it's comforting and unsettling at the same time. My family is all happy to help me with anything (it's only day 1 tho lol), but I am trying to do a lot on my own. Just adjusting to find the best places to sit and lie and get up from is a challenge and I already had my first "blues" meltdown which I apologized afterwards for! I don't think I've sobbed that hard since my daughter was born prematurely 19 years ago and had some Pretty good NICU meltdowns!! I made it up our 14 stairs to sleep In my own bed and got a full six hours. Feel good this morning. So onto day 5!
 
Oh @Skatie ... You sound so wonderful! Isn't is great that you have that dreaded first BM over and done with? I am very happy to hear they finally got your meds squared away and are home settling in your nest. Now you can let the spoiling begin. And be sure you do allow your family to do that. It will reap plenty of rewards in the coming days. Now is the time for plenty of rest, ice and elevation. Only do what you have to do, in the next few days. Let the healing begin!! Congratulations!!!
 
@Skatie sounds like you are doing well. Yes, the blues come and go and it's just part of the recovery. I was a hot mess at times with my left replacement. Try to let those who want to help, help. Take care, and don't forget to ice and elevate. Keep up the good work!
 
@Skatie, I am SO happy to hear you got the meds sorted and the BM out of the way. I can't believe they weren't giving you stool softeners in the hospital. Grrr....
I'm so glad you had that angel nurse who was there to help you.
I'll reiterate what the other folks have said: rest, ice, elevate, meds. Let people help you.
Take care and rest up, friend. :)
 
Day 6 and feeling surprisingly well. From what I've read there are a lot of up and downs so am cautiously optimistic! I slept another six hours Each night I go to bed feeling drained and queasy. I take one dilauded and two Tylenol nite. The day started out with an unassisted BM! Yeah me!! my daughter helped me get all my stuff downstairs before she left. From 6am to 5pm today I've only had two 10mg dilauded and four XS Tylenol. That is about half the dilauded I was taking previous two days. My gait is more smooth today. I'm trying to stand up straight more and doing exercises while on couch. I have no problem doing the heel slide unassisted and raising my knee right up. I do however have stamina issues and can't be on feet more than five minutes without warm waves coming over me. I also continue to have numbness and tingling in my left arm from elbow down to three finger tips (middle to pinky). I read from Josephine in an old thread that it may be due to the auto blood pressure cuff that was probably on my left arm during surgery (Iv was on right). I remember waking up in hospital with both hands tingly. Hope this goes away! Will take a shower tonight and have husband change dressing so he can appreciate what I've gone through. I think he thought I should be out walking the block by now and doing tons of exercises. Sigh!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Skatie good luck and I hope that last medicine change up is the answer for you.. it will get better.
Thank goodness for those good nurses who go to bat for you! keeping you in my thoughts.
 
I read from @Josephine in an old thread
Skatie, you are always more than welcome to tag me if you need me but please please don't make my name into a tag when in the course of conversation. I already have quite enough tags without being brought here for nothing! Hope you don't mind me asking.
 
Ahhhh...that first BM is aalwonderful relief, isn't it?! And to have one unassisted is even better. And, I agree, only on BS, can we openly discuss our BM habits AND be proud of them! I hope you enjoyed your shower last night and slept well.
 
It sounds like you're doing great, @Skatie! Awesome news about the BM and hope you enjoyed your shower yesterday. A lovely shower always seems to help me feel more normal.
If your husband doesn't properly grasp the extent of what you've been through perhaps he would like to view a video online of the surgery you had. I've heard it's an eye opener. :wink: (I'm too chicken to watch it).
Progress at your own rate and take very good care of yourself! :)
 
If your husband doesn't properly grasp the extent of what you've been through perhaps he would like to view a video online of the surgery you had. I've heard it's an eye opener. :wink: (I'm too chicken to watch it).

I found a "dry" surgery on YouTube (just the skeletal stuff) and had my husband watch it. It gave him a new appreciation for what is ahead and why I am trying to prepare things. My daughter has already told me if it involves blood, she is outta there when she stays with me! :heehee:
 
Thanks everyone, I feel much better after shower this morning and felt more secure than I thought I would. I had hubby stay in bathroom until out and then had him change dressing. It's a long scar with about 30 staples so I think he may be a little more respecting of what I went through! I had my first friend visit today (I didn't want visitors until I felt stronger!) and she brought me soup for lunch which hit the spot. She stayed two hours and I'm now just reclining with some ice. I try to do a bit of walking around the house every 1.5 hours to keep away the stiffness. I feel less light headed today as well. I've only had one 10mg dilauded today. I wonder if I should just try to move to Tylenol XS and drop Dilauded? I have first physio appointment tomorrow so think I'll hold off until after that to see how I feel! Hope everyone is having a good day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom