Revision THR Six weeks post op

Thirdtime

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi all I am a revision hippie. Born with a congenital hip so had two ops as a child. Anyway 8 years ago had to have a right hip replacement. All well until my check up last year when consultant discovered bone loss and loose cap. I wasn't a happy bunny hearing this.

I had no pain and getting on with life dancing and walking more than I ever did. So here I am now almost six weeks post op no weight bearing. Check up next week so fingers crossed I can start walking and driving. But seems it's a longer recovery. I only had the cup renewed, Dr left the stem in.

Also I had the left hip replaced six years ago no wonder it done all the hard work all my life. So in total four operations on hips. Enough I think. Love to hear from someone with similar circumstances.

Welcome to BoneSmart.
You've been through a lot! Please leave the dates of your surgeries to be added as your signature. Hopefully someone will stop by soon who's experienced similar circumstances. In the meantime check out the article below. I think you'll find it helpful.
A great week to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Right hip replacement in 2010, then in 2012 I had the left hip replaced. And the revision right hip replacement done in April 2018 Six weeks this Friday.

Hi @Thirdtime .
Certainly don't have similar experience (except had both hips replaced) but you certainly are having an epic journey.
I hope you are hanging in there (like there are any choices:umm:)
Wishing you a peaceful day!:) :-) (:

Third Time's the Charm. At least that's what they say. Whoever "they" are :heehee:
You're going to prove them right....right? :yes:

Hope you're doing well!
Fingers crossed your appt next weeks brings you the release to bear weight and possibly drive. :fingersx:
Let us know how it goes. We'd love to follow your recovery journey.
A great rest of the week to you!

@Thirdtime

Hi @Thirdtime, I also had congenital hip dysplasia and surgeries as a child. I am now 8 weeks from my revision (cup, liner, and ball) and feeling improvements bit by bit. I was partial weightbearing and using a walker for the first six weeks.

I think the weightbearing restrictions make recovery seem like its slower. If I could have jumped, I would have jumped for joy when I could finally drive again! Here's to a great appointment and a smooth recovery for you.

Hi Gypsy we have been through a lot in our lives havent we. I had all the things done as a toddler but didnt work. so at age 8 i had an op think they did a bone graft. then at age 14 i had a lot of pins put into my hip... I hated that zip scar as a teenager use to try and hide it when i went swimming etc. anyway pain so bad in 2010 i had to have pins removed and a THR. Gosh you have had a lot of revision surgery. hope all good for you now. i hope i will be able to dance again i learnt to waltz, quickstep, foxtrot and jive. in the last eight years with my new hips. yes six weeks today check up next week. thanks thirdtime lucky i hope

@Thirdtime ,glad it's going well for you. Where were your pins, were they in the femur to the ball end? I had mine inserted almost 50 years ago and then they attempted to remove them years later. My OS was thrilled to see the xray with those pins in there. He earned his money doing the THR on it!

Hi Eman yes doing ok. still on crutches till i see consultant this wednesday. yes the pins were in the femur I heard him banging them out i think he had a job getting them out after so long too. The joys.....

:scaredycat:oh my stars, @Thirdtime !

Hope you have a peaceful healing week :ok:

Well still have to use crutches for another week then i can drive yippee. off to lovely co Kerry for a weeks holiday with family hope i will be ok. gransons will put a smile on my face. Then fly to uk for a few days i was told by consultant it would be fine as long as i had help. No pain as the full hip replacements but longer to recover really i think. getting there slowly. Thanks for all your help will give my news how things go Thirdtime

Sounds like you are doing very well! Enjoy your holiday with that new hip!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Twostep
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom