TKR Sitting with knees bent at 90 degrees hurts

I had PT #4 today and was excited to see 126 degree flexion. I was going back to compare to my other knee which was 123 at its 4th visit so I guess I’m not extra ahead of myself.

It definitely feels like I’m farther along in some ways—Leftie feels stronger and more stable than Rightie did. I was so much more dependent on a crutch at this stage last time but this time I have a cane but mostly it’s to excuse my slower pace. :walking:
 
Hi @NewRightie , awesome progress you're making! Hopefully I'll progress as well as you too! I'm getting antsy not doing exercises and such but want to stick to my aggressively deal with inflammation the first week strategy. "Aggressively" is sort of a misnomer as I'm basically idly laying or sitting with legs propped up.

126-123 left with the slight lead! Can't wait for your next PT for the next "score"!
 
Hi @NewRightie , awesome progress you're making! Hopefully I'll progress as well as you too! I'm getting antsy not doing exercises and such but want to stick to my aggressively deal with inflammation the first week strategy. "Aggressively" is sort of a misnomer as I'm basically idly laying or sitting with legs propped up.

126-123 left with the slight lead! Can't wait for your next PT for the next "score"!
Thanks! I hope your inflammation drops quickly! I’ve been elevating a lot, as well. Finally have the leg control to use my inflatable wedge with the recliner a few times a day in addition to just normal feet up in the recliner.

My goal for the scores is ultimately a tie at at least 145 if not more.
 
Cleared 1 month on 5/4 so I’m nearly to week 5. PT is moving along with ROM being 1-2 degrees ahead on Leftie. I’ll take it. I think some is my age, some is the degree of damage, some is patience/not trying to reach some athletic goal and some is just a gift.

I think another huge difference this time around is feeling stable enough and though painful it’s different from bone on bone pain…I’m not so afraid of falling like I was with Rightie. I think my injury to Rightie that brought on that replacement caused a bit too much hyper extension for my liking (though within the “normal range” to them…not so normal to me!). I’m hoping that time and strengthening with overcome that over-extension that randomly happens when I’m walking. I think of it as "snap back" as it's rapid and thankfully stops when it's maxed out. Anyway, Leftie feels more reliable already so I’m not in the constant fear of falling and with concentration, can walk as if there was no surgery--other than not walking as fast as I used to. I’ve ditched the cane except for stairs and being out in public (more than a store with a cart or the in and out of the car trips). Part of using a cane as long as I did before was the fear of slipping on ice as well as my Left knee was ready for replacement so it was nice for support.

This week was PT 8 & 9 ending with ROM of 137. Machines (standing hip machine, leg press, extension and curls), bike and various step sequences are going fine. My PT keeps saying I'm the only one who has reached the ROM I have during the post-surgery sessions and that she might just put my photo on the wall. LOL...no thanks, but it's fun to hear that I'm top of anything.

The best thing that happened was a PT who is also a friend saw me while working with her client and saw me again the next time I came. She said she’s very impressed with my gait—that it’s so smooth. My own PT later added that she can’t tell which knee was replaced when. Those were both a great boost!

I started back to my new job at partial hours. It’ll eventually be a 30 hour/wk job but for now it’s 20.

I ordered a stool on wheels to put my leg on under my desk (wheels are so much easier with my wheelie desk chair if I need to back up or even spin the chair, my leg can more easily follow. I keep my 4 frozen bottles of water for my ice machine in one of the staff refrigerator/freezers and the water just stays in the ice machine (though I’ll probably switch that out at the end of the week). It’s under my desk and easy to strap on/ice my knee. It’s a lot to learn a new job and recover but it’s been easier with the shortened hours (thanks to the PA's recommendation on my "fitness for duty" form that needed to be completed before returning to work). I think I tried a 3 hour shift at my previous job and with the archaic desk set up...from the chair without arms that was ridiculously low and no more hydraulic pressure to stay raised to a height that would be comfortable for me to the random low boxes and a milk crate they offered to prop my foot up on to sort of elevate my leg plus the way I'd have to grab things from a printer one step down and just a goofy desk layout, it was pure torture after about the first hour. My leg just ached and I asked not to have anything longer than a 2 hour shift if they needed me. Now with the ice machine on hand and my rolling stool and a really amazing office chair, I'm in a much better set up to succeed. There is some standing and roaming to get to parts of what I need to do but for the most part, I can remain seated with my leg up or down.

A week before I went back, I started going to acupuncture in hopes that it would decrease the swelling on my left knee. It was on the outside area but a little of it crossed to the inside. It looked more like a water balloon was under my skin and if you pressed on it, it was squishy and if you pushed on it, it would get larger on the other side. Seemed to me to be something that should resolve with all of the "RICE" I was giving it. I elevated extra, wore compression sleeves, rested and iced to no avail. One session of acupuncture and wow, by evening, it was noticeably less swollen and by morning back to a normal looking knee with a fresh scar. ;) I stood a little too much that next morning and some of it came back BUT after elevating and icing, it was back to not swollen. AND, I slept like a champ that night and the next night. Wow!!!! Yeah, I still took my night time pain meds but didn't need a second dose in the middle of the night and I nearly slept through the time to leave for my PT the next morning. I didn't sleep quite as great the next two nights but managed to do the same thing with barely waking up in time to race to PT. LOL. My knee also had stopped the side pain when trying to put it on a pillow or just the mattress (depending on which side I'm on--knee on the mattress when I'm on my left side and on a pillow when I'm on my right side). I went 3 times the first week and last week tried stretching it out to 2 times. That seemed fine. I'm going tomorrow and will again request that if there's a spot for better sleep to put the needles into, to make sure he does. LOL.

Yesterday, I was adventurous and went to a craft fair with a friend. It was an hour away and I brought my cane in, in case I needed the support. It ended up being more of a "pointer" for things I was looking at that my friend didn't see! My friend is a thorough shopper so I knew we'd look at every booth in that auditorium. :wink: We were there a few hours and I was getting tired by the end and feeling a bit stiff. It was hard bending my knee to get into the car but I did it. We then drove toward home until she saw a store on the way she loves and wanted me to see. We must've wandered that store at least 45 minutes. LOL. I was ready to get back into the car to sit! The amazing thing is when I'd be on concrete floors like this auditorium and the store, for anything more than an hour, I'd feel it in my knees. Yesterday was my first time in years where I wasn't feeling THAT pain. :) Yay! I did ice and elevate when I got home. This was the longest I've been up and around since before surgery. It's also the longest that I've been up and around without feeling light headed and feeling like I need to sit down or I'll faint. Part of that might be overheating. Yesterday was cool enough and the auditorium had a cool breeze working through it so I wasn't ever feeling too warm. Not sure, but I know it was refreshing to know I could feel good for so long. I hope that continues as the temps warm up. Guess we'll see! The new knee was a little cranky overnight with more little aches than I've recalled having lately but a small price to pay for the adventure. When I got home, I watched part of a movie and then fell asleep in the recliner. Woke up and started watching another movie...and yup...fell asleep. I cannot believe how well I slept even after those two solid naps that were easily an hour each!!! Even with the minor twinges of pain during the night, I could roll over and fall back to sleep.

It's time to sleep for another night. I know now that I have to set an alarm to get up if I have any morning appointments. I won't for tomorrow--my first thing is at 9 and if I'm late, it's okay--just coffee with a large group of friends and people come and go at times it works best for them.
 
The new knee was a little cranky overnight with more little aches than I've recalled having lately
Welcome to the ODIC (OverDid It Club) bench, @NewRightie! We've all been there at some point during our recovery. It's just the New Knee's way of reminding you who is in charge (it's Her, not you)! :heehee:
 
A visit to acupuncture this morning and any residual swelling from ODIC has resolved.
 
Just passed week 7 with new Leftie. Tuesday was PT and then the surgeon follow up visit. I looked back on my calendar notes and saw that I was at the exact same flexion for Rightie as I was with Leftie at my surgical follow up. He doesn't actually measure that as part of his visit and I remembered last time he just went with what he saw based on the way I was sitting in the chair. So....this time I made sure to put my feet back as far as they go so he'd see that my flexion is actually rather amazing. Both knees at this stage/6 week follow up appointment have been at 140 degrees flexion. His comments were along the line of...that's crazy--people don't usually get anywhere close to this by this point. Again, I really don't get credit for this. It's just how my body is. Much like so many of you can just walk and walk or some of you easily get off the pain killers within days. We're each different. Mine still ache in the soft tissues and feel stiff/sore when changing positions after sitting or lying down, but I'm flexible. :shrug:

I was happy that he extended my 4 hour days at work through late June as I'd said it is exhausting to be healing and learning so many new tasks at my job. The job is really 2 jobs combined that I'm to eventually split my time between. That's not happening yet as one of the jobs is imperative to learn ASAP as the person doing it has a new job that is taking over for another person who is retiring. That's a lot of pressure and the learning curve is steep. Even without the surgery, it would be a stretch to learn all of this, let alone with making sure my knee is elevated, trying to get icing breaks in and then getting up and down to do various tasks. I need to make myself a list of all of the systems used. It's a lot of systems to learn that are used to accomplish the daily tasks. Like other places I've worked, systems have changed names but are still called the thing they were originally called a few generations of updates ago...so the icon will be different than what they actually call it. LOL. I chatted with my boss yesterday about the future and when I'm up to 6 hours, that perhaps 2 of those could be done at home as there are things I could do from home that either are just on the computer already or I can bring paperwork home that is checked against things on the computer. He said that would be fine when I'm up to that and he wasn't rushing me to get to 6 hours so that's cool. I'm also hoping the new accountant catches on soon as his Zoom training is really distracting when I'm trying to focus on learning my own job. LOL. It DOES serve to help me realize I'm not unique in taking time to learn all of the little nuances of the multiple systems we use.

I seem to have only 3 PT sessions left. Two next week and then a break as I had to cancel one last week for a work meeting and the soonest they could tack that onto the end of my sessions was June 8. That'll give me some time to possibly increase ROM, too. They're switching over to a new computer system at PT so it's good timing that I'll be done in June. I'll likely do some working out at the senior center where I prepaid for 4 or 5 gym visits but I will then check out the free access to the athletic facilities at the college I'm working at. I'll have my friend show me how to get there and give me a tour.

I think my right side is still weaker from having been using crutches to stay off that injured knee last August through surgery in November. I notice it on the hip machine at PT--much easier to do side kicks with Leftie than Rightie. Also feel much stronger in my left thigh. I will aim to get Rightie stronger.

I was sent a random survey for PT and along with praise for my physical therapist, I said that I'd just as soon not need PT in the future but if I need it, I'll be asking for her!
 
Oh, I forgot to update on painkiller use. I've not been afraid to use painkillers as I have been using them on and off for about 15 years. Mostly "off" but when there is a serious pain, I use them. I've learned for myself, anyway, that I can try to ignore a severe pain for only so long and lose sleep for a long time trying to tough-it-out OR I can go one or two nights with a painkiller and take care of the pain enough that I don't need anything strong. I had read that it wasn't good to use painkillers prior to surgery so I did my best to eliminate any for the 2-3 weeks prior to surgery (though that was getting tough!). The body gets used to them--I'm well acquainted with that. Several years ago, there was a time where there was a long stretch of extended serious pain that had me using a painkiller nightly for quite a while (I'm guessing several months--and I'd even increased the strength as the doctor saw a need to do so). When the pain eventually relented, I stopped taking the painkiller and whoa that was super not fun. I figured it out quickly and just started going with partial doses at night (cutting the tablet in half and eventually quarters and then taking a quarter tablet every other day....). That did the trick and after that, I've only needed for the max of a few days in a row prior to these two new knees, that is!!!

With the first knee (Rightie), I really wasn't reading the instructions that came on the bottle of painkillers and was just going with what they gave me at the hospital. Well....that was NOT what the bottle said...it was way more and I went through those way too quickly despite actually cutting out a few doses because I was getting so spacey and sleepy all of the time that I wanted to be awake a little more. LOL.... So, this time I paid better attention and saved daytime doses when I could get by without them as I knew they were stingy with these med refills as they are convinced everyone will become an addict. I wish they had a way to better assess and keep tabs on that so that those of us doing fine wouldn't have to be in needless pain. I've been switched down to what they give for the 2nd refill and this time around, just one at the beginning of the night has been enough to knock down the pain and let me fall asleep. I'll still wake up but not in intense pain so I just roll over and can fall back to sleep. That's so nice and I attribute a lot of that to acupuncture. By the end of this (my 7th week), I'm planning to try to skip the painkiller at bedtime and see how that goes. I'm definitely not ready to quit the tylenol and naproxen--those will continue a bit longer, most likely.
 
PT #13 & 14 this past week. I have one visit left though she was ready to let me graduate early, I asked to go through the full course of PT since there are the weight machines there vs me trying to be disciplined and go on my own. :wink: ROM on Leftie was 141 and 142 which are right where I'd hoped as Rightie finished at 143 when I graduated (though last time, I went a few extra times after the initial set prescribed. This time, I doubt I'll have a few extras tacked on, though having met my deductible, it's free (which is exactly what I told her when she thought about letting me graduate early).

I've been putting in my 20 hour weeks with 4 hour days, except one. I had an eye exam last week that was during my work day so I left early and made up the hour the next day. Whoa 5 hours was a lot for me--I was exhausted when I got home. It's not a physical job and there aren't a lot of physical tasks. I do simple things like opening doors and moving a cash box from one location to another (and back at the end of the day), bend at the waist to open a night drop box and to pick up printouts from the printer. Nothing particularly taxing in that regard. I have a chair high enough to get up from without a lot of discomfort and a rolling stool that I keep my foot elevated on much of my day. My ice machine is there and most days I ice once during the 4 hours but some days I'm so busy that I don't have time to go get the ice bottles from the break room which is on the far end of an indoor courtyard of sorts. Can't think of what you'd call it. LOL. I attribute the exhaustion to the brain power it takes to learn a complicated new job (with odd and limited training in a way that I had to make customized notes to make sense of what they took for granted as "easy") plus the physical healing still going on. While I wish I could be at the full 6 hour days on one hand to get to the other part of my job that is still mostly on hold (to the annoyance of the lady who shares the tasks with me for 1/2 of the alphabet), I'm thankful to have until 6/20 to make the leap.

The good news is this week at work, a lot of the fragmented parts of the job I've been trying to learn fell into place. I'm still waiting for confirmation of my list of tasks being all that I'm supposed to be doing vs missing something for who knows how long before someone realizes it and then I have to figure out how to fix whatever that might be. The one training me has mostly not had time to spend time with me and seems to think showing me most things ONCE is enough for it to make sense. LOL. She was acting very frustrated with me 2 weeks ago and told me on a particularly hectic Monday that she needed me to get this all down by the end of the week as she wasn't going to be available after that. Then Tuesday, she assured me that it took her a LONG time to learn the job. Huh?! I had also incorrectly assumed she would be spending enough time to finish training me that week but in reality it was maybe 4 hours over the next few days--which 1 1/2 she had off. This week supposedly she was going to be available (she told the student worker she was going to be HOME and my boss seemed to think she was on campus in her new job...wherever she was, she wasn't very available). There are some papers from something like 2011 that someone had typed out to explain the details of the job BUT much has changed and the copies of copies are bad to the point it's impossible to see the screenshots so they're of limited use. Eventually, I'd like to rewrite those. As it stands, apparently, my trainer and I are the only knows who know most of the job.... I asked my boss how I can ever go on a vacation if that's the case and he said the plan is to cross train the new accountant and me on each other's important parts of the job. That's somewhat frightening as I was learning the tip of the iceberg with the accounting job during my first two weeks of very part time hours before surgery and it was so complicated (not to mention, that job is above my pay grade!). Hopefully before next March (next real vacation planned), we'll both know what we need to know. Also, hopefully either the accountant's boss will do the other job if I can't...or the accountant has no vacation plans anytime soon!
 
My right knee is almost a year old and my left knee is 6+ months old. I was at a restaurant in a chair for 2 hours with my knees bent at 90 degrees or so and both knees in the kneecap area were getting very sore. I could only stretch my left knee out from under the table which made it happier but my right knee was so sore I was rubbing my kneecap area to try to help ease the pain. My ROM isn’t the problem—I have 140+ bend.

Is this a normal pain and how long before I can sit without pain…part of why I got knee replacements to begin with was meniscus pain. While this isn’t in the same area, it’s equally painful.
 
My right knee is almost a year old and my left knee is 6+ months old. I was at a restaurant in a chair for 2 hours with my knees bent at 90 degrees or so and both knees in the kneecap area were getting very sore. I could only stretch my left knee out from under the table which made it happier but my right knee was so sore I was rubbing my kneecap area to try to help ease the pain. My ROM isn’t the problem—I have 140+ bend.

Is this a normal pain and how long before I can sit without pain…part of why I got knee replacements to begin with was meniscus pain. While this isn’t in the same area, it’s equally painful.
@NewRightie I'm 16 months right knee & 6 months left knee and everything you say is the same for me.
Today the weather change has me in pain on top of the other.
Walking, Stationary Bike, Hot Tub & heating pad is the only thing that helps me.
I am waiting for Nuclear Bone scan, Blood test for infection and Allergies.
I am in more pain and taking more drugs now than before surgeries.
Wishing you the best.
Don
 
@NewRightie New knees often have a problem with sitting for a long period of time. That's why we encourage getting up and walking around at regular intervals. This will ease with time but your knees are in charge of how long this takes.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Almost Rightie’s 1 year anniversary. I’m noticing a lot less noticeable pain and much less fear walking around outside than I’d had. Climbing stairs (up and down) still isn’t super easy and that is probably partially because I’ve gained weight in this process and I don’t go out of my way to do stairs.
 
Today's my first knee’s birthday. Having a little fun with a song.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sitting with knees bent at 90 degrees hurts
    F223EAB8-314E-4527-B63D-B89FC76C92B2.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 65
I love your birthday song and I extend a very happy birthday to righty, too!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom