Silly question I’m sure

I had to use Octenisan (I think the spelling is right) starting 3 days prior to surgery, day of surgery and day after. Also used a nasal spray twice a day, had to have all clean clothes and bedding every day. I thought it was overkill too, but complied as far as able and wrapped myself in a clean sheet each night. There came a point where I thought my outdoor clothes weren't clean every day and what about contact with others so was it really effective?
The day after surgery I was confined to bed with low blood pressure and was left with a bowl of water and cloth with no way of covering myself in the solution for 1 minute, as I couldn't even reach all parts.
Afterwards someone told me about an experiment where someone used one of these washes on one half of their body only. The result was that as bacteria were reintroduced he ended up with more bad bacteria on that side than the untreated side. I just hope it doesn't mean I'm now covered in bad bacteria! Maybe the bad bacteria took over from the untreated side? :arrow:

I didn’t have any of this .... just a wash for the leg to use in the shower the morning of surgery. Perhaps clean sheets were assumed on my discharge... although my leg was well bandaged/ covered for 10 days anyway, so there was no risk anyway I wouldn’t have thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, both of us, but the doc is proud of his low infection rate, and my hubby almost lost his leg due to infection after TKR with a different doc so we’re compliant. It’s part of a total packet of info everyone gets, so we are not insulted.

It’s really amazing how there are so many different protocols. I’m sure all of us on this forum complied with what we were told to do. After all, just by virtue of being here, we are trying to be good patients.But as a nurse, I’m sure there were some people who didn’t even shower or do any of the precautions.

At my pre op I was told that my OS is very hot on infection control. That said I was only told to have a bath/shower the evening before or on the day of the op.

Nothing was mentioned about clean bed sheet but my husband did change the bedding whilst I was away thinkng it would be nice for me to come home to fresh sheets.

My surgeon said he did not care on way or the other. Guess it just depends on that.

WOW I’d be really irritated if I had to change my sheets five nights in a row. I’m supposed to put fresh sheets on the night before surgery. That’s it. And I’m the only one that has to hibiclens. But family has promised to paint my toenails as soon as I get home! Pre-op appointment yesterday said fingernails are fine - just nothing on my tootsies. :(

I had to do the antiseptic wash on my knee for a week prior to surgery and no shaving the leg for 3 days before but nothing about sheets etc

I have a post-op question that's related to nail polish :) Was anyone advised not to have any more pedicures after surgery?

I asked about pedicures and was told I could have them but needed to be very vigilant that they did not cut me. I decided that I will ask the tech not to use scissors on my cuticles and I may also trim my own nails at home and just allow them to use a file on the pre-trimmed nails. Another option might be to bring your own implements and soaking basin from home instead of sharing the tools and station basis with all the customers that came before you.

I bought my own foot bath and will do the soaks at home. I have my own set of tools but I’m going to use those at home and just have my nails painted at the salon. My OS said I could have pedicures done if I was confident in my nail salon. But I’m going to err on the side of caution. Just came from my PCP and she agreed with me.

Hi Everyone
I'm sitting in my hospital 2 days post my TKR. Now I had a little problem with low oxygen saturation (maybe some atelaletasis following surgery).
My O2 stats were in the 80s so good thing I didn't have nail polish on I would have growled at!

Maybe it's more of an infection issue if you wear polish.
Not so. The issue is the anesthetist wanting to check your oxygenation by pressing on your nail and then releasing it. It clearly shows the speed of the return of blood to the finger tips.
What about polish on toe nails?
The same applies. If the patient's hands are not accessible for various reasons, then the staff might use the toes instead.
My surgeon said he did not care on way or the other. Guess it just depends on that.
The surgeon is not the anaesthetist so it stands to reason he couldn't care less!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie