Guest viewing is limited

Shoulder Replacement

Yes! . 2 years since my BTKR and now I face having both shoulders done. I knew this forum is the best - it's like coming home. I will update my recovery thread in a while, suffice it to say for now, the knees are doing well.

I saw my orthopaedic surgeon on Monday, and have been back lurking since then, as I didn't know where else to go for support.

So, the surgeon was quite blunt and told me that I don't have any options other than surgery left to try and fix my shoulders somewhat. Both shoulders are very diseased - and so are the rotator cuffs both side due to my rheumatoid arthritis. The plan is pain management, he told me not to expect a great improvement in range of movement. That was a bit of a shock.....

I'm have devoured the above posts as it is always useful to learn from the experience of others. If anyone is going or has gone through a shoulder replacement I would love to hear from them. I am quite daunted by the prospect, more than I ever was by the knee replacements.
 
@Phoenixx29 The thread link Pumpkin gave you above is great - there were several of us having shoulder replacements about the same time 2 years ago and several others who had had the same surgery previously chimed in for support and help. I had R shoulder replacement 3/2013 and my surgeon said much the same thing to me at the initial visit.... however I do have most of my range of motion back as well as no pain in the shoulder! I am delighted with the out come as is my surgeon. Of course I never was a world class tennis player nor did any other kind activity that required that level of ROM and strength. What is needed after this surgery is to be diligent with ALL of your PT exercises! Also my OS did say I have a permanent restriction on the amount of weight I should lift with that arm ..... 25lbs. That's not a big problem for me, but something you should ask your OS about.
 
@pumpkin @djklaugh thank you so much. The thread was very interesting. It's so helpful to read about others' experiences.

My expectation for the outcome of my surgery would be pain relief more than anything. I have been told to expect an improvement of around 20% . That is a bit disappointing, but it will make my life a little easier.. No shoulder pain would be a very good start.

I expect a limit on weight bearing - but that won't be a problem. Luckily I have a desk job. I am a bit worried about how long I will be signed off for, and the driving restrictions... No driving for 3 months I was told. That is bothering me the most...

I can see myself getting very obsessed with all things shoulder related in the next few months....but luckily I know where to go to let off steam:-).
 
@Phoenixx29 - Everyone is different and every surgery is different - I was able to drive within a month of my shoulder surgery - my OS said as soon as I was not taking daytime narcotic meds I could drive. How long you're off work probably depends on what you need to do with the arm that's having surgery - even just desk/computer work can be tiring for a new shoulder. You might want to talk to your HR people about a phased return to work. I was retired when I had my shoulder done so did not have those concerns.
 
@djklaugh thanks. Yes, I suppose it's like with tkr, it's hard to predict how long your own actual recovery will take until you're going through it. I must try to assume worst case scenario. Just because I managed to get back to work 6 weeks after having my knees done, and3 weeks after my cervical fusion, I should not expect that my shoulders will also give me an easy time :-). In fact according to the shoulder surgeon, my btkr was a walk in the park compared to what to expect from the shoulders. He said with the knees, you're up straight after surgery and you're done, shoulders are hard work. Obviously he was oversimplifying it, but I can see his point.

Work won't be too much of a problem as I can work from home, and the company I work for will certainly allow a phased return to work. The problem there will be me. I hate relinquishing control of my work area :-). I might have to reign myself in a bit.....
 
Thanks @ann
Yes I've just had my 2nd shoulder replaced last week. My surgeon did the first one in 2011. Along with hip replacement and last Year tkr
My surgeon left rotator cuff in tact just had no cartilage between bones
I'm a special ed teacher so I guess after 23 yrs of restraining kids all joints messed up
Right now all I have is a constant throbbing
annoying pain which is nothing
compared to knee. That was a killer
I've been doing passive exercises lifting arm with other arm flexing hand over and touching fingers to thumb
The real work will begin next week after i see surgeon
Since this is the left shoulder and I'm a righty I feel more independent since i have a good arm to work with but probably doing too much
Any info I can help you with feel free to find my thread I think it's called hooray I'm one year out
It's been a rough year for me and I'm so very thankful for the friends I've made on this site and still keep in touch with
I've been thru the mill and can only come out stronger. With a few crying meltdowns in between
Susanne
2007 hip resurfacing
2010 hip revision
2011 rt shoulder replacement
2014 ltkr
2015 left shoulder replacement

The airport security love me !!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Josephine has started a new forum, Other Joint Replacements. It's for discussion of shoulder, ankle, wrist, finger, ankle and toe replacements. It's still in its infancy, but threads like this will probably be moved there.
 
It's done now! I hope this new forum goes well.
 
I am a 5 joint replacement (bi-lateral hips, bi-lateral shoulders and currently recovering from LTKR plus as a bonus, a right hip revision (head liner exchange)

I have had AMAZING results with shoulders. All damage is due to agressive form of Rheumatoid Arthrit. I had shoulders done in 2002 and 2005 so I am coming up on 14 years! My recovery started with only passive exercises after 3-4 weeks of immobilization. Then the pulley and bead toys and all the other exercises started. It was very achy and I had many times I had to really push to Lear to use them again. However I recovered my full ROM in my left and 90% in my right arm. I have never looked back. I now am an active sailor and my shoulders are holding strong! So good luck to all. Finding an experienced surgeon for shoulders can be a challenge but worth the time and effort.
 
If ur in the NYC area I recommend my surgeon wholeheartedly. He's the chief orthopedist at NY hospital for joint disease. I have 2 perfect matching scars
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I too am looking at having shoulder replacement, so will be very interested in how you do.
 
I'm one month out and feel great. Compared to the other replacements this one is a breeze. Just the canvas sling I have to wear 24 hrs in the heat should be my only issue
My rotator cuff is intact that surgery is a bit more complicated than replacement
Good luck. If u have any questions just let me know. Both my shoulders have been replaced
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Now this is the way to heal
Nothing' like the beach
[Bonesmart.org] Shoulder Replacement
[Bonesmart.org] Shoulder Replacement



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi all. Well shoulder doing great. Able to lift it high without help. Just having difficulty lifting a heavy object like gallon of juice. Other than that cutting
PT down to once a week. Getting too expensive. Still waiting on MRI results
of knee but it is feeling a little better
I realize I am so quad challenged
Having so much difficulty getting up and out of a chair.
Hope everyone healing well
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like your recovery is going very well @susanne ! Please do update when you get your MRI results.
 
Hurray, hurray - Bonesmart have threads for shoulder replacements!
I need to get back into this forum (ALWAYS excellent) and will check the correct threads to post on.
Left shoulder replacement December 2011 (didn't work), left shoulder arthroscopy November 2014 to try and fix (didn't work, boo). Left hip replaced March 2015 (magnificent, miraculous, get quite emotional over the difference it made to my life). Right shoulder replaced five weeks ago (brilliant), and knee operation in about two hours (yikes!). My daughter has named me Trigger's Brush - you have to be a certain age and watched Only Fools to get that.
 
Yes indeed we have extending BoneSmart to include all joint replacement. Feel free to start a thread here if you have any questions or concerns.
 
Back
Top Bottom