TKR Shin pain a worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kolleen, I shower and go to bed right away when I get home from work. My days are 12hrs and I am exhausted afterward. It is rough working as a nurse of any specialty. Hopefully, I will be getting better soon. I know my liver enzymes are elevated due to bone healing. That is a good idea about using a shin support and I will look into that. Good luck!
 
Trnbelle,
God I don't know how you are managing 12 hour days right now, god bless ya! I spoke to my OS and he thought the compression sleeve was a wonderful idea. I ordered the Zensah calf/shin compression sleeve. I did a lot of research and this was the best recommended, so ordered from Amazon. I thought if it would relieve the stress and pain from the shin it has to be worth a try. They will be here tomorrow so will let you know what I think. Look around on amazon, read the reviews of the different styles and see what u think. Good luck and catch up on the rest anytime you are able.
 
I went out today and bought a shin compression sleeve from Sports Academy. Hope it will work. I will let you know.
 
So far , so good! The pain in the shin has been a little better today with the sleeve. I am really hoping this will mKe a difference . Of course, now, my knee is acting up but whatever :)
Went out with some friends for a few beers, made it 2 hours. God it felt good not to be sitting and icing, although I will probably pay for it all weekend . So what am I doing now?!!! Icing of course . Just wanted to feel a little bit of normal life . Knowing it's back to work on Monday , I will be careful, ordered groceries online and want to make a nice pot roast on Sunday . Love to cook in the fall, good comfort food :)
Let me know how the shin sleeve feels, think you will notice a difference . Talk to you soon, please take care, Deb
 
The shin compression sleeve worked well for me. Also got a lower back support from Walgreens to wear due to weight being shifted around due to my shifting weight when limping around with the shin pain. The combination of the two support devices worked very well.
 
Tnbelle, the back support may be a good idea. I've noticed in the last couple of days when I get home, my lower back is really sore. Never thought about a support. Does it wrap around ? Just trying to figure out what to get. The shin sleeve is helping a little although still pretty miserable towards the end of the day, more I'm up, the worse it is. Hoping this will work itself out because it's very frustrating !
The area is not as sore to the touch as it was so maybe it's healing a little. How's your knee feel at end of day?!
I swear at this point, the shin is worse, very wierd :)
 
DebR, yes, it does wrap around and can be worn under your clothes. It is called the "Adult Deluxe Back Stabilizer". Good luck with your back, maybe this can help.
 
DebR, my knee felt awful until I got the shin sleeve. Now, it is still there but manageable.
 
I have been wearing the shin sleeve since Friday , but like I said now all kinds of other things hurt as well!! My back, my quad and my knee is acting up. The shin pain, I think, is getting a little better but by the end of the day I'm shot. How about you???
I swear my knee was starting to feel better but the shin thing has really slowed me down. I have been driving somewhat, to work and back and actually went to the grocery store last night, dumbass move after working, haha!!! How is the fatigue any improvement? Think I'm getting better in that aspect but still crashing early, home, dinner, shower, ice and then sleep. Think it's going to be this way for a while until our bodies & knee & shin get used to the schedule :)
I'm so glad to hear the shin pain is getting better for you !! Guess we will just keep plugging along and take the progress day by day.
I certainly can say I can't wait for the weekends to come, just to recuperate from the past week.
 
I'm still fatigued, but much better. It gets better each week for me. I also will just keep plugging on.
 
Keep me posted on the plugging along because right now I don't feel like doing a darn thing! Should be getting better everyday but it's not & work not helping but necessary. Can u tell I'm very cranky today :))
The entire leg hurts, different degrees in different places, ugh !
Talk to ya soon !!
 
Did you ever try the back brace?
 
Hi, I didn't because the day after I wrote that the back pain went away, but I have it written down in case it becomes an issue again. How are you feeling with the shin and back?? As you can see by the time, (4 am), not sleeping well tonight!
I decided to give Motrin a try yesterday a few times and I have to say it is really helping the shin/calf pain. Don't know how
long it will last but for a day at least , I felt pretty good. Will continue on it for the weekend and see what happens. If by Monday the shin pain returns my OS said to start the Lyrica. Will see, he still feels it's bone stress and will just take time to resolve.
How is work going? Let me know how you are doing with everything and enjoy your weekend, Deb
 
Hard for me to stay on my feet 12 hrs... But glad you are feeling better!
 
Tnbelle, now that u have resumed work is there ANY way to reduce hours for a week or 2??? As a nurse, you work your butt off, & it's hard to recover that way. Are u sleeping better?? Has the shin pain improved at all ??? Have you found any pain meds that are helping ?
I am at one Percocet when I wake up, the Motrin (miracle drug right now) and then Percocet at bedtime. Occasionally a Percocet during the day if I'm really hurting. God, this is hard isn't it?? I hope the shin pain is better & knee is where it should be .
Let me know, I truly care and feel the darn pain. Did some stuff over the last 2 days & plan for tomorrow is absolutely nothing !
Need to take Sundays to get ready for monday!
Take good care & check in with me, we WILL get through this :))
 
DebR, I have been working my donkey off! I have not had the time to look at my e-mails. I have been using the shin supports and a back support. I am allergic to latex and these items have latex in them, so when I get home I scratch myself silly....then put hydrocortisone cream on it and take some Benadryl. I am not taking anything but Aleve or Advil, and continue to be having pain and edema. They will not reduce my hours. I had to go back at 6 weeks post op because they said they would not be able to hold my job for 12 weeks as I was a little shy on the 1250 hours needed to qualify for FMLA. Healthcare really sucks right now! I really hope you continue to improve and I really appreciate your e-mails. Stay in there!
 
I can't believe you are wearing the shin & back support to help with the pain, and THEN you have to itch???? That's awful.
I swear I think the shin pain & swelling is here to stay for a while. I, too, am working my donkey off & then pay for it when the weekend comes. But at least I was able to somewhat reduce my hours the first 2 weeks. I went back at 6 weeks and really wish I had a few more weeks to stay home but that wasn't possible. And you are so right, healthcare does suck right now. I would have loved FMLA, but didn't qualify either. Would have been really nice. I have been using Motrin and my doctor put me on Lyrica for a while to see if it helps the shin. I started it about a week ago & think it is helping. Might be worth looking into ???
Hang in there & I hope it gets better soon, keep me posted!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom