Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sharing my experience . . . so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Lee! That's a great idea to bring ice along on outings. Our grocery is just a block from home, but having my husband check out while I waited 'on ice' would have been heavenly. I will remember to pack some in the future as I start traveling further from home.

I stayed off my feet the rest of the day, did the simple exercises Josephine posted, plus another one I saw posted here earlier, and had the best night's sleep since surgery! Maybe it was coincidence, maybe my body just finally was so sleep deprived that sleep won out, but boy, is life looks cheerier after a good night's sleep!

We are heading out of town, about 5 hours away, to our vacation home this week. I'm not looking forward to the drive, but we need to check on the place. We're planning rest stops about every hour where I can get out and move the knee, I'm bringing ice, and will probably sit in the back seat so I can elevate it as much as possible. I'm keeping my eye on the prize, as where we are now snow and ice is expected, and where we are headed, it's nice and warm.

I'll be 5 weeks post-op. If I'm missing any other obvious ways to make this drive better, let me know! Sometimes I miss the obvious!
 
Best of luck. Not a trip I would have entertained at 5 weeks but each to his own! Try and enjoy it anyway. :wink:
 
I think it'll be fine, even if I have a difficult car trip. Our vacation home is all on one floor, which I'm looking forward to. We live in a multi-level here and whenever I need something it's on another floor! And I have some concerns about getting around on snow and ice so early in my recovery.

I'll let you know how it goes.
 
Like everyone has said, this is part of the journey. Bottom line: let yourself heal. You have great range of motion. Remember, life is therapy. Getting dressed, putting on socks, drying your feet, and performing daily activities around the house. Measure your gains by the simple things, your foot not hitting the car door when getting into or out of the car.
It is a big surgery, be patient and let mother nature perform her work.
Good luck,
David
 
Do try a heating pad at the small of your back for back pain, hip pain or restless legs when you sleep. I used one successfully for all three after my TKRs.
 
Iam at 9 weeks in a few days and I still cannot do any shopping without problems later. yesterday my knee was so large from doing work around the house
 
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate being reminded that resuming regular life around the house does count as therapy, too.

I've started using the heating pad for my back and hip and it brings some relief. I'm quite the sight at bedtime with the Kodiak ice machine, the heating pad, and my CPap machine! Thank goodness for power strips!
I'd forgotten about Yaktracs! I gave them to my husband and my elderly parents one Christmas, but of course, neglected myself. I'll pick up a pair today while I'm out. No . . . wait . . . correction - I'll send my husband to get them!
 
Thank you, Josephine, for the info on the Yaktracs. I just ordered myself a pair. I was worried also about the snow and ice....I live in Philadelphia, PA in a rowhouse with lots of steps just to get into the house. These will come in very handy, I'm sure. This site is just such a wealth of information and I'm so glad I found Bonesmart!
 
One word of caution about the Yaktracs - I'm not sure if this applies to the other suggestions.
My mother put hers on in her tiled foyer, before heading outside. On a tile surface, it's nearly impossible to keep your footing as all that strikes the floor is a rounded metal 'Slinky shaped' band. They are easy to put on and off (or you can leave them on a designated pair of shoes or boots) but use caution when trying them on different surfaces!
 
Good point, GG. I found it so when went outside on my concreted driveway. so I had to walk on the clear and change shoes when I got to the ice! Not so easy as it sounds when there's nothing to hold on to. So I took a shovel with me to use as a crutch during the shoe change!
 
Hello BoneSmarties -

I survived the 5 hour drive with just an insignificant increase in swelling and pain. Probably less than I would have had if I stayed home and done a little too much housework.

Now I have a question I've not seen answered here in my readings. Perhaps it's a silly one, but I'm curious. I'm also having trouble figuring how to explain my question so you understand what I'm asking.

FWIW, I'm 5 weeks post-op.

So, as we recover and start eliminating serious (narcotic) pain meds and substituting others prescriptions or OTC drugs, at what point do we consider those changes?

For example, if I take Dilaudid every three hours round the clock as prescribed I can keep my pain level close to zero if I also keep my activity low. But, if I want to transition to Tramadol, when is this advised? Only when it, also, brings the pain to zero? Still a good move if it lowers the pain to a 2 or a 3?

In a nutshell, is the goal to eliminate all pain, or just lower the pain level to whatever threshold we are willing to tolerate?

Is this strictly a personal decision? Or is having the pain managed at a 2 or 3 detrimental to our healing?

My surgeon is not (yet) forcing me off Dilaudid, but prefers I use something else as soon as it brings relief. Tramadol doesn't relieve all the pain, but I could manage fine with only that if I had to.

Also, is it okay to alternate them? For example, take the Tramadol at night but Dilaudid during the day when I'm on my feet a bit more? I'm aware that 'getting hooked' is not a concern, but at the same time I don't expect there's an unlimited supply of Dilaudid in my future, either.
 
Hi GG ... I am very impressed with you that you survived a 5 hour drive with only minimal consequences. I'm flat out surviving a trip (someone else driving) to the local shops - 5 minutes away - and I am 7 weeks tomorrow.

I am afraid I cannot answer the question regarding pain meds. I am sure someone more qualified than I am will be along shortly to help out. I no longer take pain meds other than Panadol Osteo or Panadol Soluble occasionally.

If your pain levels are less at night, then perhaps Tramadol then as long as it doesn't interfere with your sleep and Dilaudid during the day still when you are doing more, but that's just my thoughts.

I hope you continue to recover as well as you are now and that there are no speed bumps in your journey.

Take Care ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
You have been doing well. The back and hip pain is annoying, mine goes to my foot. The OS suggested orthotics as my knee is aligned different now and this puts pressure on the feet, hip and back.

So I will do anything to stop that pain.

Shopping really does take it out of you. With Christmas almost here I am writing lists and sending dh to do it. Sometimes we just have to wave the white flag and give into ourself.

Keep up the good work just do it in moderation. Xx
 
FWIW, I'm 5 weeks post-op.
So, as we recover and start eliminating serious (narcotic) pain meds and substituting others prescriptions or OTC drugs, at what point do we consider those changes? In a nutshell, is the goal to eliminate all pain, or just lower the pain level to whatever threshold we are willing to tolerate?
Would that we could eliminate all pain but that's not realistic so reducing it to a level that's manageable is good by which I mean just a mild ache.

Different people get to that point at different times (as is frequently said on here!) but you need to bear in mind that
a) most pain will hamper even just normal activities
b) moderate to excess pain will hamper recovery
c) persistent moderate pain can also hamper soft tissue healing
d) can also interfere with sleep
c) can increase swelling and stiffness, both of which are manifestations of pain
e) cause depression and frustration at perceived lack of progression

I was still taking my full prescription at 12 weeks and needed it. Others claim they are pain free much earlier. It certainly is a very personal thing. Just make sure your desire to be off them doesn't override your pain levels! :wink:
 
Donna, that's interested about the orthotics. I have some, but they are pre-knee issues. I wonder now if they'd help or be all wrong.

Ellen, thanks for your opinion on the meds. I've pretty much been alternating them as you mentioned. Taking less every day, though!

Josephine, I appreciate your input regarding pain levels. "Mild ache" levels work for me, so that's my goal now with the meds. It's reassuring to be told a little pain is not harmful, but moderate to severe pain is.

I'm approaching my six week mark next Monday. I've had two really, really good days, only medicating at night. I even got through last night without my ice machine which I felt was disturbing my sleep. I don't know if it's the fact that this house is all on one level (no stairs!) or just the extra time since surgery, but my fingers are crossed that it continues. I've been a slug (no, let's go back to 'Lady in Waiting!') but am about ready to start (slowly) being on my feet a bit longer each day.

My knee is still stiff, still sore, and still numb, but if at six weeks out I'm starting to keep the pain levels low with less meds (while still icing and elevating) I'm pleased with how far I've come.
 
Hi GG ... how wonderful that you are pleased with your progress. :egypdance: I am happy that you are. And it is good that you have had a couple of good days. I have a low-set house, so don't have to battle with steps, but am thinking that not having to go up and down a couple of times a day can certainly only be a help to your recovery.

I like the 'Lady in Waiting' analogy. It's good that you are enjoying your little 'break' in the cabin. Is it in a pretty setting?

Take care GG and I hope you continue to be happy with the progress you are making ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Ellen, it's not a 'cabin' but a 2 bedroom ranch home in the desert. It's a nice spot year round except for unbelievable heat in July and August. We came down to avoid a significant storm up north. But, glory be - we've been hit with two snowstorms down here where it rarely spits snow, yet we've gotten six inches and it's still coming down heavy.

So, it's pretty but in an unexpected way. I'm sure the local children are besides themselves with joy. Me? I didn't pack my YakTraks and it's slippery out there!
 
Snow in the desert??? Would love to see that. People who have to live in snow and cope with all the problems it might bring are probably so amused at how people like myself are so eager to spend time in snow. I also would dearly love to spend a White Christmas at least once in my life. To have a hot dinner snuggled up around a fire while it is snowing outside sounds so romantic and lovely. I wonder if it is a far cry from the reality though? Surely not, all those Christmas scenes on TV can't be wrong. Usually we eat a hot dinner in stinking heat and humidity. I love having roast turkey and pork, but eating it with salad, but there is always an in-law or ex-husband who want the whole roast dinner. The house I have now has a pool and fully ducted air-conditioning, so Christmas Days are pretty pleasant.

I'm guessing that with the snow and no Yaktraks (I cannot describe to you the picture I have in my mind about what they might look like) you are not spending a lot of time outside. That's a shame. Do you stay there much longer?

I hope by the time you get home your knees have recovered from not doing stairs that they now can do them with no problem and your pain levels remain "mild".

Take Care ...
Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
Yaktraks (I cannot describe to you the picture I have in my mind about what they might look like)
[Bonesmart.org] Sharing my experience . . . so far
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom