THR SFBionicat50's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sfbionicat50 But I did not say the best part... there is no money in the Star Trek Universe, it's all free! But be real now, you will have to go to the replicator and order her cookies or a cake...
 
Day 10. Yesterday was day 9 and it was a good day. I followed the Bonesmart mantras, limited my walking to 5-10 minutes every hour or so (mostly, getting dressed, going to the bathroom, getting meals, and getting ice) didn't beat myself up for taking my pain medication every four hours instead of every six hours, and just relaxed.

By day 10 after the last hip replacement, I was taking only Tylenol. Plus, there's such a negative perception about pain meds these days. I was worried about how the doctor would view me if I asked for a refill of my prescription. My discharge orders said to call 5 days in advance to ask, so I thought it would be an ordeal. I also knew I would run out right before Thanksgiving and was worried that the holiday would mess up my ability to get a refill. So, I left a message for the PA, apologizing for asking so early, and told her I wanted to start the process for getting a refill. She called me back and was happy to give me a refill and told me I was the perfect patient for asking early. No negativity around still needing the meds or asking me to wait till next week to see if I still needed them. Whew.

This afternoon, I get to take the giant waterproof bandaid off my incision and see what the scar looks like.


RTHR 10/20/14
LTHR 11/9/15
 
@sfbionicat50 do you have staples? Fingers crossed for you that your scar is nice n neat. Sounds like your recovery is going well...At this early stage don't worry about the medication, baby steps....:loll:
 
Hi, @Gilly. I took off the giant bandaid. No stapes. It looks like glue and steristrips. A number of the steristrips in the middle came off with the bandage and the caked on dried blood. There was still some seeping blood in one small place (maybe the dried discharge over this place came off with the bandage?) so I covered it with a gauze bandage. It doesn't appear to be much because the gauze isn't stained through. I'll take a shower tomorrow and see how it is. Because of the discharge issue, I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the wound.


RTHR 10/20/14
LTHR 11/9/15
 
Day 12 -- Yesterday, Day 11, was an eventful day. In the p.m., DH and I went to DD's parent-teacher conference. It was the last day of conferences and I felt it was important for me to be there since this is DD's first year of middle school. Yet, it was a schlep across town. Plus, the school is an old 1930s building and DD's teachers are on the third floor, so I had to navigate on crutches up two floors and then had to figure out how to sit in a school desk for the conference. The good news is that DD is doing great work and her teachers love her.

When I got home, my plan was to elevate and ice for the rest of the day, but that didn't happen. DH went out to a dad's group event sponsored by DS's school. DS came home from his basketball game in a foul mood -- he played poorly and the coach let him know about it. I had DS and DD pick up hamburgers and milkshakes for the three of us at the little restaurant around the corner. The plan was to eat downstairs in the family room and watch a Netflix movie together. Then, calamity. One of the milkshakes fell off the food tray while DD was carrying it down the stairs.:holysheep: We had chocolate milkshake everywhere -- on the walls, baseboards, and dripping down five stairs to the bottom on the stairwell. Thankfully, the stairs are hardwood and not carpeted. It took the three of us over 1/2 hour to get it all cleaned up.

As a consequence, last night was a rough night. Almost every part of my leg was in pain that Percocet could not touch. I woke this a.m. with a migraine headache. Thankfully, Imitrex and a three hour nap helped the "storm" pass. So, today is my day for rest, ice and elevation. The good news is that some of the leg length discrepancy is starting to pass as the operated side becomes less swollen and starts to relax.
 
@sfbionicat50 I am going to be doing the same today, a lot of rest. I went out for tea to celebrate my husbands birthday and came home shattered...We weren't out for long couple hours at the most...I need to take it easy..
Keep in touch and hope you enjoy Tyrant.....:heehee:
 
Day 14. Yesterday, Day 13, was an uneventful day. I just rested and did some walking around the house. I was also able to get down on the ground and do some stretching, mostly for my back and shoulders, which are getting stiff from using the walker/crutches/cane. Today, I spent the morning getting a manicure and pedicure. Whew. Those nails were looking a little ragged. This afternoon, I'm having acupuncture, which has been helping with swelling, back pain, etc. I made my appointments for next week -- PT (first appointment), OS (just to check in on the lingering leg length discrepancy issue), and chiropractor. Tonight, the family is packing up for tomorrow a.m.'s drive to Lake Tahoe for Thanksgiving. I feel like I'm extending myself more than I'd like at this stage in my recovery, but figure I'll be fine with lots of pillows in the car to keep my leg elevated, lots of stops to move around, ice for the swelling. Once, I get there, it will be the same as being at home -- comfortable house, bed, and lots of help from relatives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom