Bilateral THR Serenity Strikes Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go, @Serenity41 !!! Even though BTHR is becoming more popular we still are sources of interest and amazement - enjoy the popularity and extra attention - cuz you are a STAR. The bilateral log leg syndrome is an annoyance isn't it .... but it does go away after a short while.
 
I am going home today. I aced PT and OT. I was able to walk over 200 feet today. I am also using the commode in the bathroom with a 3 in 1. My pain has been ok for the most part. Bone on bone pain gone. I am dealing with the surgery pain now. The only huge complaint right now is no sleep. I slept 2.5 hours last night. Someone has come in my room every 30 mins non stop. I can't wait to get home and get some sleep. I am exhausted. I am waiting for the paperwork to be done and off I go. A little over a day in the hospital. I will update more when I can. I am going to try to get some rest before I go home. Oh and the double log leg is intense. I can't wait for that to be gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Wow! I'll never complain about my ONE hip, realizing you did 2! That is awesome! You sound great! Please keep us posted!


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Well apart from the log leg and lack of sleep you are doing sensationally well @Serenity41. I think it is a sign that you're feeling better wanting to go home so much too and good for you. I hope your recovery keeps going and you get some of that much needed sleep
 
Thank you everyone who has stopped by for a visit. I arrived home yesterday at 6:30 pm. It was so nice to be home and finally rest. I slept for 9.5 hours last night only to wake up for a few minutes to take my medications. I had PT at 9:00 this morning. It went very well. She told me my biggest issue would be slowing myself down enough to heal. I am actually a bit scared of dislocation with both hips done at the same time that I have made it a point to be extra cautious and not over do it at least for the time being. I am able to walk around the house with my walker and use the bathroom by myself. I do need assistance getting into and out of bed. I haven't mastered that one yet as my bed is very high. My OS is very conservative and has given me 6 weeks of the 90 degree rule to follow. I have the home health nurse coming out tomorrow at 7:30 am to change the dressings. I will finally get to see what my incisions look like. I will take some photos to post. PT will be out again tomorrow at 9:00 am. Then it will be PT 3 x a week for 3 weeks and than outpatient. I have been elevating and icing like crazy. The meds are making me dizzy and a bit nauseated which is annoying. I did try to cut back some (I know, I know) and that wasn't good. I will ask the nurse about the medications tomorrow. I have jumbo cloth dressings on both hips. I have to wear my husbands boxers as none of my clothes will go over the dressings. It is kinda funny as it looks like I have huge bubble hips. Once the nurse comes out tomorrow, I am hoping that will change with a lighter dressing. Overall, I am feeling pretty good and really happy with my decision to get both hips done at the same time.
 
....im really inspired by your story serenity41. I am also scheduled to have a BTHP, in sept this year. I am 45 and was born with hip dysplasia, and now struggle to walk more than about 100mtrs. I have been trying to find the courage to do this, and found this website which has given me so much insight with what to expect.
I hope you are recovering well, and again thank you for your updates on your recovery. :)
 
Serenity - my superstar friend! I am so proud of you, you're doing amazing. Keep up the good work.

Tee(LTHP May 28th)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@scaredycat Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of support here. When I first got to the forum I thought there was no way I was going to get both of them done at the same time, but as I became more informed it just made sense. I really didn't have a good leg to stand on. My left hip was worse than my right, but my right was pretty bad as well. I was in agony walking just like you even for short distances. Both of my hips collapsed prior to surgery. I am glad you have made the decision to get both done at the same time. One surgery and one recovery. I no longer have bone on bone pain. It is amazing. I do have the surgery pain, but I know that will get better with time. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

The nurse came out to change the dressings and put smaller ones on. Thank goodness! No more bubble hips. My scars look great. They are not oozing or draining. They look pretty clean. I have 21 staples on the left side and 22 on the right. The scars are about 4.5 inches long. My husband took some pics of the scars and I will try to upload them later when he gets home.

PT came out after the nurse and I am doing all my exercises without his hand assistance. I am pleased and so was he. I want more of a challenge, but he said he was concerned to have me stand up and exercises as it was just to early. I agreed, but I am anxious. I don't want any setbacks so I am going with the flow.

My husband had to meet some clients this afternoon, so I am alone with my furkids who keep me company. I am ok though and can manage getting in and out of the bed by myself now. Hip Hip Hooray!
 
Talk about a strong woman:) you go girl!! Awesome job ..keep the positive attitude as It does wonders for your bodies healing ..


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Sounds like you have a good PT person, @Serenity41 Slow and steady really is the way to go! I'm so glad your furfriends are giving you lots of love and support! :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: - they do make such good purramedics and dogtors :heehee: Big thumbs up to you!!!
 
You are doing great!
And, that you can get in and out of bed by yourself is a marvel this early. Way to go!
 
Wow! A double hippy, and you are doing SO well! :yay: You give the rest of us hope!
 
@Serenity41, I am SO impressed and you are SO fortunate! Don't challenge yourself too early, though ... baby steps, baby steps!
 
@psychteach @MajorHeidi @djklaugh @VF Thank you ladies! :flwrysmile:

I had a rough day yesterday. Not with pain but with the big energy drain. I slept on and off most of the day only to get up to take my meds, do my exercises and walk around the house. I am getting around the house pretty well now which makes me happy. I did get to enjoy watching a few movies with my DH yesterday evening. No milestones to speak of.

Today was a better day. I woke up at 9:00 am (a little late for me) and I was able to stay up until 4:00 pm before my body demanded a nap. I also got to take a shower. I can't tell you how good that felt. The warm water running down my back was heaven. DH was able to get a lot of the stray adhesive off of my skin which was irritating it. So relieved. DH just built us a nice patio cover and I was able to relax outside today with some fresh air. I have noticed though that my hips and thighs are very swollen. I have been elevating and icing in hopes it will help the swelling. I have PT and the nurse coming out again tomorrow morning. My back is killing me. I complain more about my back than I do my hips. The day can't come soon enough when my restrictions are lifted so my back can be happy again. So two milestones today: I was able to stay up for a longer period of time and I got to take shower. Life is good. :)
 
@Serenity41 - the energy drain is totally normal! Feels awful, I know, to find that you HAVE TO nap or else risk falling asleep where ever you happen to be. This does go away eventually but it can hang on for weeks. It's your body's way of letting you know that healing is taking place - it does require lots of energy to heal tissue and bone and you had 2 MAJOR operations at once! Just relax and go with the flow - and nap knowing it's doing your body good. And yes the legs will be swollen for a while - mine felt and looked like logs for about 3-4 weeks before finally shrinking back to normal. The icing and elevated do help. Yup shower is a milestone indeed - and feels sooooo good :)
 
Oh @Serenity41 that is wonderful news - a shower then sitting outside for a while - just what you need to re-energise those batteries and I bet that shower made you feel like a new woman!! Sorry about the back pain and that is an achievement in itself that your hips are taking second stage to your back and you know your back is only temporary - you're making a brilliant recovery and I so sincerely hope it continues this way for you :)
 
....im really inspired by your story serenity41. I am also scheduled to have a BTHP, in sept this year. I am 45 and was born with hip dysplasia, and now struggle to walk more than about 100mtrs. I have been trying to find the courage to do this, and found this website which has given me so much insight with what to expect.
I hope you are recovering well, and again thank you for your updates on your recovery. :)

Welcome @scaredycat68 - another Aussie member.

Would you like to start a thread of your own in the hip pre op forum. Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

By starting your own thread, other members will pop by and this provides the opportunity for you and your questions and concerns to receive the attention they deserve. I look forward to seeing your first post in your own thread.

Just a tip, if you want to "tag" someone in response to their messages to you just type in the @ sign immediately followed by their user name and you'll see a small box in the posting area where the members user name will display. Sometimes there might be a very slight pause, but the member user name will appear.

it will show their correct name which you can click on -- then when you submit your post the member's user name/link will turn blue and send a message to them person, like this: @Poppet

Once you have started your own thread, I will provide you with some articles that help build your knowledge and also come chat with you :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom