TKR Sep 8th LTKR recovery

Your post is such an inspiration and your comment about it being a long winter really brought it home to me - thats what I need to say to myself and approach my recovery in a positive way. I guess if nothing else we get to snuggle down during the really awful days. We have had some dreadful weather in the UK since my op so at least I have had no desire to go for a walk on the beach in the sunshine!
 
I think the mindset is the thing, right? No matter what is happening, I've learned from this group that:
  1. this recovery is not linear - we will get better over time but may not feel better each day
  2. no 2 knees are alike - whatever is happening for others, or even what happened with your other knee, simply provide the range of possibilities
  3. this is temporary - the worst of the recoveries require additional treatments but for 99% of the TKR patients, the treatments and recovery is finite at some point
  4. the 6 inches between out ears is the toughest to navigate - staying in a positive healing space (mentally and physically), managing our care team, managing expectations of others, managing our own activities --> all require lots of mental focus
  5. Onward!!!! (coined by Kdubs!)
 
I appreciate y’all. It’s so valuable to be able to communicate with people that get it. I’m not gonna lie. The first 4 weeks in that immobilizer was one long pity party for me. I was sad. I put myself there and couldn’t stop beating myself up for falling. But the sun kept coming up and I kept looking forward. Here we are. Today I was at 0 and 120. Back to where I was. Knee feels great. Worked in the yard with zero pain. First time in 15 years. Carefully. Still wearing the lockout brace set to 100. I can do all ADLs with no pain. PT and home stretching without the brace. See ortho on 21 Dec and hopefully take it off. Working on strengthening but my quad is so weak. Can’t push off at all. But it’ll come around. Sometimes you just put your head down and weather the storm. Onward!!
 
Wow! I’m playing catch-up, somehow missed your most recent posts. Yard work with no pain..... I’m anxious for that, and so excited for you! And your 0 extension . Your progress is so great, and you’ve been through a lot. It’s so good to know how well you are doing. Do be careful. I’m learning to take advantage of the days with no appointments, & try to get the rest, I still fatigue rather easily from the last surgery. That ODIC is Sooo tempting!

At least, like you said, we are in the months of yukky weather, & I suspect you love the outside yard & gardening. I’m really looking forward to next spring & summer, & working in our garden & with my flowers, & going to our beloved Farmers Market without pain! I’ve been able to take some short, slow walks outside with my husband, one of my big goals.

You are really an inspiration... I’m so happy to see you doing so well. Words of wisdom, from Booger & Hawk2go......” keep chugging along”, and “slow & steady, slow & steady”. Both have really stuck with me. Take care.
 
Hawk2go, I'm thinking I need to print out your list and have it ready when I have my second tkr.
 
At least, like you said, we are in the months of yukky weather, & I suspect you love the outside yard & gardening.

Yes, glad it's not gardening weather. I would have been useless. By the time spring comes, I will be much better prepared to work in the yard.
 
Hello folks. It’s been over a month. I can’t believe how fast time has gone by. I’ve had nothing but good news. Managed to get completely out of the brace a few weeks ago. Knee is feeling great with no issues. Haven’t measured ROM for a couple weeks but I was at 0-125. I know it’s more now. I’m able to sit cross legged. I don’t do it for long but I did it. No pain no issues after. Its hardly stiff in the mornings anymore. Swells a bit if I’m on it all day but no pain. Everything is good.

The torn quad tendon is getting better. I’m doing a lot of strengthening now. It gets fatigued some but no real pain. Finally going up and down steps like a big kid, one foot on each step. The last few visits have been working on terminal extension of my quad. That last little part of getting it totally straight. Had a little lag but I think we worked that issue out. My proposed graduation date from PT is January 31. My last ortho appt is Feb 1. Then I slowly get back into pickleball!!

Hope y’all are healthy and doing well!!
 
Wonderful progress report!! Congratulations on your continuing recovery amazing to think of you returning to Pickleball! Pickleball was the activity that broke the camels back so to speak and took me to the OS to book my surgery. I was not a regular player so can’t imagine getting back to it although so enjoyed the games I played. Such encouraging reading!!
 
Pickleball took me to the OS as well. Because I wanted to continue to play. It was just too painful after a few hours of play. So I went to the surgeon and got it fixed. If it wasn’t for pickleball I’d still be limping thru life. Lol
 
Yay! :happydance: What a great update! I don't think sitting cross-legged is something I'll ever be able to do again, my knees just won't bend that far. I'm finally able to do the stairs like an adult too.

My hubby used to play pickle ball at work during breaks a lot. He really enjoyed it. Since Covid and mostly working from home now, I think those days are sadly over.....
 
Well folks. It’s official. Played 2 hours of pickleball Sunday. Last PT evaluation on Monday. Released from ortho on Tuesday. Still working hard to get the left quad to 100% strength. Knee is virtually pain free. I can do everything I want. :). Thanks for all your encouragement.
 
Wow, you certainly have come back well after your MWA! (mobilization without anesthesia)

Best wishes moving forward. You will continue to improve even more in the months ahead.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom