TKR Sep 8th LTKR recovery

Sending healing wishes for a speedy recovery from this set back. Hoping no surgery required.
 
MWA….I like it!! it was scary but no time to think about it. Lol
So I got the MRI results online. Have yet to see surgeon. Looks like the knee is good. No issues with mcl, patellar or quad tendon at the knee.
The thigh is a diff story:


There is disruption of the distal myotendinous junction of the
quadriceps tendon. There is a mild degree of associated tendon
retraction with a gap between torn tendon edges measuring up to 1.1
cm.


IMPRESSION: Disruption of the myotendinous junction of the distal
quadriceps tendon with associated hematoma formation and quadriceps
muscle edema.

I’m guess that disruption is going to require repair? I can do straight leg raises and extend my lower leg about halfway before it’s too painful. Thoughts? I don’t want more surgery but I want a reliable leg.
 
I'm sorry about your quad and associated tendons. :sad: I'm sure our mods and others who have medical knowledge will hopefully be able to tell you more info.
 
Well that just sucks but it looks like they found the reason for the swelling. I hope whatever you have to go through will be a piece of cake compared to TKR recovery. All things are relative.
 
At least you know where the problem is and let’s hope that there are alternatives to surgical repair to heal the tear. So sorry you have to go through this.
 
Hey folks!! My ortho is out of town. The PA was prepped to hand me off to another surgeon if it was a total tear that was retracting. The good news is it wasn’t retracting so no need for a quick surgery.

I have a partial tear near where the muscle turns to tendon in my thigh. She says it may need surgery but she couldn’t make the final decision. My ortho will be back in town Sunday and either call me Sunday night or Monday morning. There’s a chance we can go work conservative treatment. I’m concerned about reliability. I don’t want to be back here in 6 months or a year. If we go with surgery it’ll be next week.

The other good news is rehab for the thigh is like rehab for the knee. ROM then strengthening. Nobody is sugar coating it, it’ll be tough but not a showstopper.

Onward!!!
 
I suggest that you baby that tendon as much as possible. It needs to heal not to exercise. It's good to hear that you might not have to have surgery. I pray the doctor and you make the correct decision. Whichever way you go we'll be here for you!
 
I am still hoping for no surgery for you but if it needs it to heal then has to be I guess and you will make the right decision. In the big picture this will hopefully just be a hiccup!
I love your positive attitude. Onward!
 
Good evening folks. Great news! No surgery. Spoke with my Ortho today. The MRI shows the tear is mostly muscle and a little tendon. He consulted with two other orthos in his practice. Consensus is no surgery. I’ll stay in the immobilizer for another week for a total of 3 weeks.
Appt with the ortho next Thursday for assessment and a new lockout brace set to 20-30 degrees ROM depending on the assessment. We’ll discuss a PT plan then to increase ROM for the quad and the knee. Minimal strengthening just for stability. Quad sets and leg raises etc. He didn’t sugarcoat it. Said it was a setback and would require hard work and patience for optimal outcome.
This was the absolute best news I could receive. This could have been so much worse. And I’m not afraid of hard work!!!
Let’s get after it. Thank you all for your input. Onward!!
 
@Kdubs I have been following your story and my jaw dropped when you wrote about your mishap exiting the garage. I was so excited for you because you were healing so well, way ahead of most people in your progress, and then this! But your report from the Ortho is so reassuring, I think with your attitude you will surprise everyone, including yourself with how quickly you bounce back. The hardest part of this knee surgery business is having enough patience to keep your chin up and not overdo and then get discouraged, but I think you've got that part nailed down.
 
Good news @Kdubs . Now you'll have to muster extra patience to heal the whole leg. we're here for you and rooting you on.
 
Last edited:
Such good news!! Pleased for you!! Sending healing wishes.
 
Hi - I am kinda late getting on this thread; I Still get confused navigating, but am getting better. I was catching some of these later posts, now caught up from the beginning......I hope today finds you feeling better! I am so sorry for your setback, but happy with everybody else to hear no surgery. You obviously have an incredible attitude that’s gonna serve you well. I think you are quite an inspiration to us all. I’m roughly a month behind you & Hawk2go. You’re right, this forum is so great.....support, information, encouragement... a community. I’ll be watching for your progress, and, as Patriciad said, hopefully just a hiccup in the journey. I have to think your attitude & willingness to do the hard stuff will see to that. My Prayers for the best!
 
Hey y’all. I haven’t been around much. I’ve been trying to let this tendon heal. Saw the ortho on Thursday.
Things look good. I can do straight leg raise unbraced and can do a leg extension with little pain. They put me in the lock out brace with 30 degrees ROM. Walking with cane. The quad is really weak. We are babying it for 3 weeks like this. Then follow up on 23 NOV. If that goes well I’ll start PT the next week. Gentle ROM for 2-3 weeks then slowly back into strengthening.
I feel really good about it. Without the brace my current ROM is about 3 degrees extension and 45ish on flexion.
I’m not sure why this happened but there’s a lesson in here. I’m willing to move as slowly as needed to ensure a full recovery. It’s gonna be a long winter but I got this!!
ONWARD!!!
 
So happy to hear that things are improving and you are back on track to making a full (even if slow) recovery. Sending healing wishes for that tendon!
 
So glad you've found a way forward. Take it easy.
 
Hey @Kdubs :SUNsmile: - I'm sending healing thoughts your way!
 
Hey @Kdubs :SUNsmile: - I'm sending healing thoughts your way!
Thanks!! I’ve just been Sittin around healing. Kinda boring but I think it’s working. Started some light stretching. Walking with the lock out brace at 30 degrees. See the doc on Tuesday then start PT on the 29th. I’m sooooooo ready!!! Hope you’re happy, healthy and on track.
 
Just a little note for everyone about ROM. I’ve been in an immobilizer and lock out brace for 6weeks. Virtually no bending. Over the last week I started gentle stretching. At PT today we measured it at 0 degrees and 103 degrees. I was at 1 and 120 when I went into the brace. Natural healing helped.
Today was an assessment of where my quad is. And it’s weak. Did one set of a couple exercises and more stretching. We are making progress!! 3 weeks of this then back to ortho to assess the need for the brace. Hopefully getting stronger all the way.
Onward!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom