Seeing consultant tomorrow - does the journey start here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @missmuffet, Do you have a surgery date yet? Or is that happening next week? When I met the surgeon Dec 1, 2015 he set me up for February 19, but by the grace of God, there was a cancellation in January and the ten people above me on the list did not want it. I was in so much burning pain from the collapsed femur that I truly believe that was the work of my guardian angels for me to get moved up!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Not yet jomarie58 - thanks for asking. Am guessing I will hear sometime after the next appointment on 28th. Have been told approx 2-3 months. Mine is RTHR too. Collapsed femur sounds painful you poor thing. How are you doing today? Loving the updates :elevate: X
 
@Miss Muffet sounds like you are a bit of a worrier, which of course is not something you can change. However worrying about every little thing to do with your surgery has a big downside--mental exhaustion!! Remember that your surgical team will take just as good care of you whether you have worried about everything or worried about nothing!! They are experts and will likely think of everything for you. I hope meeting your consultant, and developing trust in his skill, will allow you to leave the worrying to him. That's why he makes the big bucks (pounds, I guess)!!
 
@Miss Muffet be sure to let us know the date when you hear. It is so frustrating how far out they have to schedule them when we want them NOW. I will be posting for a while I am sure. I am a people person who is suddenly stuck at home! The forum is my "outside world" right now! Grin.
 
Hi @Miss Muffet and thank you for those lovely words. Having had the op I can only now see what a terrible state I got myself into with worries and negativity. If I had known what it was really going to like rather than the dreadful version in my own mind, then I wouldnt have been like that. When the time came the theatre staff were fantastic. The epidural didn't hurt, just a little scratch for the local, my legs went pleasantly warm and they checked using iced water what I could feel (absolutely nothing). I personally opted for no sedation as I have a chest condition and the anaesthetist was only going to use light sedation anyway because of this. I put my earphones in my ears and sang along quietly to the songs on my ipod. The anaesthetist was tickled pink. She kept providing reassurance and constantly watched the instruments. She came then to tell me that they were getting ready to close the wound. I could hear the theatre staff having a joke behind me. I knew what they were doing in terms of the operation but didnt feel as if they were doing it to me. Please please dont do what I did and frighten yourself with "what ifs..." They know exactly what they are doing. I used to like this when flying. I would catastrophise about every slight change in the planes movements or engine noises or even the look on the flight attendants faces. In the end I had to learn to let the pilots do their jobs and fly the plane without any input from me. This situation is similar. I really hope this helps you. Much love xxx
 
@Miss Muffet
Hi and welcome to the family! It's taken me a year (and a lot more pain) to take the plunge. I was warned to do it sooner than later by our precious moderators and I must say they were right as always! :)

As far as the hair loss, a few years back I started losing my hair left and right (by the grace of God I was blessed with thick Italian hair). Someone told me that biotin could help stop the hair loss. Well, I took it (I'm pretty sure it was 5,000 MCG's...NOT MG's) and within two weeks not only did I stop losing my hair, but my nails began growing out of control! It was nothing short of a miracle! Now keep in mind I didn't have a thr on the horizon, so I'm not sure if it's safe to take close to major surgery. You might want to run it by your GP. Below is one link I found where you can read about it. Hope this helps. :)

broken link removed: https://durablehealth.net/biotin/much-biotin-hair-growth-results-reviews-dosage-products/#How_Much_Biotin1000_mcg_For_Hair_Growth
 
@Gillywigs and @Cynthia777. So good to hear from both of you and your fabulous words of advice. I think my mind is ready to go, just my silly body which doesn't listen :no-fin:. Am practising my breathing techniques, which do help and taking my vitamins. Zinc to boost my immune system. Don't want any colds or flu interfering with my health. Gillywigs- would love to have been fly in the wall while you were singing in the theatre! And thank you for reminding me to stop worrying. Hubby calls me Mrs Risk Assessor :flabber: (rude).
The weeks are sailing by and soon I will be in the same situation as you are now. Went out this evening and used my bubble walking stick - it really does help to spread the load but I will be glad to park it back in the hall in due course. The grandkids pinch it and lark around so I will happily let them become custodians when I have no further use (bring it on!) :yahoo:.
Cynthia I think I've heard of biotin and will follow your caution about checking with the Doc. Thank you so much for suggesting. I do feel self conscious and I know it is pure vanity but somehow females cope with hair loss less well than our male counterparts and coupled with being a member of the Ministry of Silly Walks makes me feel ancient (which I am not). Cynthia you're next. Will watch out for you and gillywigs keep up the healing and rest ........... And YES your words DID help:angel:. Fondest hippy love xx
 
Hi @Miss Muffet. Its Gillywigs sending loads of virtual hugs because Im not near enough to give you a real one. The biggest difference I have noticed especially today is being "me" again. Yes there is still pain and limitation and I have to plan how to get from A to B with almost military precision BUT I am me again. Not the me in the last months before the op, not able to join in with family activities, left sitting on a seat with the grandchildren and my daughters going off doing things without me. This me is back to being bright and cheerful, joking with my son in law and feeling right in my world. One thing that scared me most before the op was the horrendous brain fog I had. Trying to remember names or think clearly was impossible. You can imagine what I was imagining Im sure. Anyway all that has gone completely. My thoughts no longer feel as though they have to be dragged up from some foggy depths. What a relief!!! Clearly the terrible pain and exhaustion really took its toll. Mentally I feel great. Im telling you this because I know how easy it is to panic and think there are terrible things wrong which are actually just a facet of pain, exhaustion and depression. You will feel so different after surgery. Keep strong and hang in there. Love and hugs
 
@Gillywigs - so very happy that you feel :friends: like YOU again!!. You're obviously adapting to the necessary restrictions. When you hurt it is so easy to lose your sense of humour and fun. It is draining. You feel ever so slightly resentful that you can't do what you instinctively want to! Fascinated that things like brain fog seem relevant... Can this really be to do with our condition? Does the pain drag us down that far? It is a daily companion that you simply expect to dominate your day. I am endlessly grateful for your support. No one quite understands like a fellow victim of this rotten condition. The good part about it is there IS an end. Keep on trucking :spin:Thank you again so much xx
 
Hi @Miss Muffet. How are you today? I always found if I overdid it one day then the pain would pay me back on the second day. I was meant to be going for physio today but its been cancelled because the pt is ill. I have to go tomorrow instead. Really pleased today because I am out of the elasticated waist skirts I bought and back in my little soft black leggings. Now there's a morale boost. It also gives me another day to practise my exercises. Cant believe how much steadier I feel. Still some residual pain when everything is stretched getting on and off loo and when lowering to sit down but nothing like it was. Came down leading with the wrong leg this morning - wondered why it didnt feel right till I changed legs. Cant believe its 11 days today. I must have spent so much time thinking about and dreading the op. Its good to be able to think about other and nicer things now. I know exactly how you feel at the moment. Have faith in yourself. If I could do it then anybody could. You are stronger than you know. Loads of hugs xxx
 
I realized after surgery that the lack of sleep and never ending pain had changed me more than I knew. Several friends spoke to me on the phone the week after surgery and exclaimed "You sound like your old self!" I was astounded that they could hear a difference even in my voice! Ones who stopped by were endlessly hugging me, so excited to see a full real smile. One told me, "just watching you try to walk would make me cry for you". I am still having pain on the other side, but nothing like before!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Good morning @Gillywigs - and thank you again for thinking of me.
Woopeeee - happy black leggings day to you! :yay: Little things become BIG things when you're anxious for progress, and mean a great deal when you crave normality again. I know when I reach for my make-up bag I'll not only be recovering, but will look and feel better (pure vanity you understand) :xmark:
I was forced to get those feet up yesterday, (which I do always interpret as time-wasting) and even had a bit of a nap. Consequently I am moving better today. It just makes sense, but tends to make me feel I'm being lazy, or giving in. However, I do know from experience that it can take a couple of days if I overdo it. Can't wait to see the consultant on Thursday - I wonder how soon after that I will get a date. You know, I think it is frustration which is the key part of the problem. I have always believed that people get the blues if they aren't making progress in ANY area of their life. Be it completing a task at work, clearing up a mess, undertaking something which is a nuisance but which will make our life run smoother .... we do need to move forward, and I suppose what I'm experiencing just now is the waiting game. I still wake up in a knot - but settle as the day goes on.
I did read about how to go up and down stairs - and have even been practising that too so I get into the swing of it, and found that with my walking stick it actaully does make a difference pre-Op.
M&S have an offer on today, so will visit their site and make an order - Bridget Jones knickers sound good and practical, but they do also have some gorgeous silk knightwear which may just make me feel a tad more feminine when I'm at my least gorgeous. I do look forward to hearing from you and a am incredibly grateful for all the support, honesty and advice. Hugs back :hugzz:and steady as you go - so proud of you lovely ladies! xx
 
@jomarie58 - wow, clearly this condition stretches so far into our being so we aren't even aware of the effect it has on our behaviour ..... and that will be the difference WE experience finally after it is all over and done with. :fingersx:
Happy post - thanks. Endlessly encouraging as always. (I think I'm an addict now - love Bonesmart!) xxx:yahoo:
 
Hi @Miss Muffet, Just wanted to let you know that I was terrified before my surgery. It was so much worse in my mind than in actuality. My pain was about a 3 most of the time after having it done. The most important thing I did was to stay ahead of the pain. Taking the medications on schedule made all of the difference, as did the icing.

Prepping the house, the meals, and my other needs gave me a positive focus. There's so much to do before this surgery.
 
@Hip hop hooray - how kind to feed that lovely nugget! None of You can possibly appreciate quite how much it means to me that you take the time to send thoughts, ideas, suggestions and share your own personal experiences like you do. You obviously read my fear and your words makes me feel so much less isolated.
BIG virtual hugs through the airways to you all once again X X :console2:
 
I understand. I was so afraid before my surgery I couldn't read the boards here. If I read that someone was in pain, it totally freaked me out, and I would start crying hysterically. My imagination was over the top. None of that stuff happened for me. It was very calm and manageable. You will be fine.

I would let the surgeon's office know that you are afraid, and ask to put in writing that you will get the pain medications on schedule. I did that, so that if I was asleep, or out of it, they still woke me up and gave them to me. You have to ask for the meds. They don't just give them to you automatically. It makes a huge difference.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! great advice yet again. All of this seems to add to my bundle of intelligence which will set me up and put me in a good place in readiness. Fear of the unknown has always been the black dog that haunts me and the sisterhood (not forgetting the boys too) is immensely reassuring. You bilaterals have my utmost admiration- surely that was a bit of a tough one to cope with?. Makes me feel like a bit of a wimp! So thrilled for you that you record pain levels so low and they they were manageable (with correctly administered meds). How much has your life changed now? x
 
Hi @Miss Muffet, I don't think of anyone having a THR as a wimp. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done. (because of the fear, not the pain.) I found it easier to have a bilateral, because there was just one time under GA, one hospitalization, and one recovery period. I also found it easier to walk, strangely. My legs were exactly the same length, and with the walker, it felt really balanced. Also, I live alone, so I didn't have to take my dogs to the kennel twice, or arrange rides and help at home a second time. regained a lot of flexibility.

My life is much better now. I can walk well, do all of my daily tasks, and I am not in pain. I sleep very soundly, and I feel much younger and healthier. It's easy to get dressed and to bend down and pick up things. I've regained a lot of flexibility. When my hips were bad, I felt like a 94 year old woman. It seemed like I was dying. Each day I could do less and less, and my energy was depleted. I was also self conscious. When I was in public, people would stare at me and look horrified. I was in denial a long time.

Oh, I had a GA, so there was some pain in the recovery room. I was able to breathe through it. They quickly wheeled me up to my private room, and once I had the iv, the pain disappeared. Many people elect to have a spinal, and then they are numb.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Your usual friendly, helpful and encouraging response. Thank you again! It is hard having to put aside things which you enjoy because you simply cannot cope with them. I do feel ancient. A word about how I walk, or my lack of mobility can have me in tears. This is not something anyone would choose to have. I am just SO grateful that I am able to have this Op. Our predecessors simply had to put up with the pain - and I can only imagine what a huge impact that had on their lives, knowing it was getting worse and worse. As I said to my hubby after the consultation - this is almost like elective surgery. My surgeon does go with epidural (and choice of being sedated or not - I WILL!) and having had GAs before and found the grogginess (and sometimes bad throat) an additional thing to get over, I've come round to thinking it is probably a good idea. It will be great to pick up and start living properly again once this is all over x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom